Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Watch it Pal!

Watch it Pal!
TC
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 11:45 AM

OK, finally a sniff of something coming with 10.3.

Pal is supposidely going to put your Desktop on the Internet.

Anyone have any ideas on exactly what this is, something related to iSync so you can access your data from anywhere or linked to Remote Desktop meaning you can access your mac from anywhere?

The article is here:
http://www.toptechtips.net/modules.p...rticle&sid=457
Nothing to see, move along.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2003, 11:53 AM

Interesting, but it must be more then just that... If they included remote desktop in 10.3 standard, THAT would be nice...

I don't get the "it's on the internet"...

It makes me think it's part of .mac

TC  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 12:02 PM

A guy on that site likes back that it is just Network based home directories. I found this in the documentation for Workgroup manager which shows that the technology is linked to one central server. It sounds like Pal is going to open this kind of thing up to desktop macs.

Network-based home directories
With Workgroup Manager, your users can be at home anywhere on the network. They can log in to any Mac OS X computer, get their customized desktop environment, and have instant access to their own server-based home directory, which can contain their documents and applications.

With network-based home directories, workgroups can easily share a pool of computers and make more efficient use of hardware resources. In classrooms or labs, students can log in to any authorized computer on the network without worrying about transferring files or finding applications,
since their files aren?t tied to one particular computer. Similarly, if users upgrade to a new computer, all their information and files are immediately available, for an effortless upgrade experience. Your users can always find their home directory instantly by clicking Home in the Finder toolbar.

Network-based home directories can dramatically simplify storage and backup of user files: You can protect the assets of an entire workgroup just by backing up the server. In addition, disk quotas allow you to regulate use of server storage by limiting the size of a user?s home directory. With Workgroup Manager, you can deploy network home directories over AFP or NFS protocols. AFP is recommended because it provides user authentication for added security and automatically builds a home directory when a first-time user logs in.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 02:14 PM

What about here, at the bottom? Anywhere access?
|wishing is for suckers|

velocipede
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
This all sounds like a huuuuge version of services similar to what's provided on most corporate networks. I know Windows 2000 servers, for instance, can store desktops, display settings, etc for each user, so that each user can log in to a different machine and keep their settings. Of course, that's probably not really on the same scale as storing information for potentially millions of users' home machines. It sounds like the idea of the "Digital Hub" is being applied to the entire Mac (and .Mac) experience, not just an individual Macintosh.
I wanna see movies of my dreams.

dmoore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 04:01 PM

It sounds like Apple will be running the directory service for .Mac users. If they make it too addictive (like iTunes MS), it could get expensive. Suddenly, our 100 MB of storage won't be enormous.

I'd envision iSync being the preferences control panel, wherein most people would elect NOT to sync their Movies and Music directories. Still, the temptation to start installing applications to your home directory so that the program will be available anywhere will be overpowering. Maybe I need another credit card...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by TheDisaster:
maybe .mac would act like a conduit for access to your files served from your computer. OSX already has a FTP & web server built in, perhaps this could be a sort of ultra secure way to set them up & use it to share your home directory. Note how it says your data, you probbaly wouldn't have root access to your entire machine (no way to run apps remotely for example).

TC  (op)
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 05:14 PM

This is nothing new for the Unix community, remotely logging into a machine and being able to access the files in your home directory.

Sounds like Apple are going to add their polish to it and make it super easy and available to non UNIX geeks.

Maybe they'll use your .mac account to track the ip of your home computer so you can easily access it while your away just by logging into your .mac account from any machine.

wreising
Jun 3, 2003, 05:39 PM

If any of you went to the main iSync page this morning you saw a screen shot from what I assume now was Pal. It has since been replaced with one of Safair.

When I saw it I was confused but had to leave for my Bar review class and didn't save it.

It showed the top left corner of a metal app that had a tool bar similar to System Preferences with buttons for .Mac, Mail (I think) and a couple others that I can't remeber.

In the main window was what looked like an expanded view of the iSync .Mac sync window, but included a view of Safair Bookmarks similar to the bookmark editing window in Safair - if that makes any sense.

It was clearly there to show sycning of bookmarks - since it was next to the paragraph about said syncing. So when I had to leave I thought it was merely a shot of the new iSync 1.1 - but its not.

I am not making any claim that this was anything more than a mock up by Apple's designers. I really have no idea either way.

All I know is that it was there this morning.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 05:58 PM

If any of you went to the main iSync page this morning you saw a screen shot from what I assume now was Pal. It has since been replaced with one of Safair.
I saw the same picture, and I was wondering what the heck it was. It had a new Mail icon as well.

Does anyone have it saved?

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by wreising:

When I saw it I was confused but had to leave for my Bar review class and didn't save it.

It showed the top left corner of a metal app that had a tool bar similar to System Preferences with buttons for .Mac, Mail (I think) and a couple others that I can't remeber.

In the main window was what looked like an expanded view of the iSync .Mac sync window, but included a view of Safair Bookmarks similar to the bookmark editing window in Safair - if that makes any sense.

It was clearly there to show sycning of bookmarks - since it was next to the paragraph about said syncing. So when I had to leave I thought it was merely a shot of the new iSync 1.1 - but its not.

I am not making any claim that this was anything more than a mock up by Apple's designers. I really have no idea either way.

All I know is that it was there this morning.
I saw this too! Tought this have been interface enhancments to iSync 1.1. Now its gone.

Nexus5.

geekwagon
Senior User
Jun 3, 2003, 07:02 PM

Saw this in another thread, the picture is still there in the version of the webpage for Spain (for some reason it is still in English?)

http://www.apple.com/es/isync/

HERE is a direct link to the image that doesn't exist in the US version.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by TC:
OK, finally a sniff of something coming with 10.3.

Pal is supposidely going to put your Desktop on the Internet.

Anyone have any ideas on exactly what this is, something related to iSync so you can access your data from anywhere or linked to Remote Desktop meaning you can access your mac from anywhere?

The article is here:
http://www.toptechtips.net/modules.p...rticle&sid=457
Were the screen shots mentioned in the posting linked available anywhere or were they just referred to? BTW, sounds like a cool thing, too bad I don't have a permanent Internet connection.

WM

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 08:08 PM

Hrrrrm... Not sure if this isn't a fake. That lightbulb doesn't strike me as being inline with the latest Apple marketing.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
Hrrrrm... Not sure if this isn't a fake. That lightbulb doesn't strike me as being inline with the latest Apple marketing.
And I don't see the intuitive connection between something called "Pal" and a lightbulb.

Maybe it's Apple's version of Microsoft Bob!

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2003, 09:31 PM

Somebody somewhere (helpful, huh?) posted something about it being similar to the Newton, hence the light bulb, but not a full PDA. They described it as an internet PDA that connects to your computer instead of an internal harddrive. I don't really believe all of the stuff I have seen about this so far, but I am definitely interested in whatever is going on.
|wishing is for suckers|

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 10:42 PM

Apparently something is in the works that allows data access anywhere...it's right on the .Mac homepage.

.Mac Presents: Anywhere Access
Discover the convenience of accessing your data from any Internet connected computer.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Apparently something is in the works that allows data access anywhere...it's right on the .Mac homepage.
Sort of true already. You can access your iDisk and your addresses and even your calendars if you publish them to the web. Not the seemless solution that statement implies and we are all hoping for, but nevertheless, I think it fits.

If this device is real, how will it connect? Airport? Not very useful if you are on the road. It's really nothing more than a PDA in that case. GPRS? That might be interesting.

kman

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 11:17 PM

OK, I managed to get the pictures that were removed from several sites (apparently due to a Cease & Desist order from Apple):

Pal Box 1
Pal Box 2 (Closeup)

If those are fake, they are the best I've seen so far.

Whadda you think? Another "iWalk"?

Sort of true already. You can access your iDisk and your addresses and even your calendars if you publish them to the web. Not the seemless solution that statement implies and we are all hoping for, but nevertheless, I think it fits.
True, but it does say "Coming Soon...".

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
I agree. These are basic tutorials. I think that one might have to do with accessing one's idisk files from computers other than the one at home. Not enough people realize that about .Mac.

Still, if there is something in the works from Apple, and it's not completely daft, I'm all for it. I'm just not sure how authentic this particular tidbit is. But it's nice to see some kind of rumors rolling. That's part of the fun of being a Mac junkie.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2003, 12:19 AM

Hmm...I'm skeptical but very interested.

At any rate, SOMETHING is probably coming up tied to .Mac. It's been almost a year now since folks like me got in at half price. Apple would be dumb not to release some flashy new feature to make sure we'll keep coming back for more.

Say what you will about .Mac, but letting the one year anniversary of paying for iTools slip by without at least one big, new feature would be extaordinarily dumb.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:11 AM

.mac is still now here NEAR being useful for what you pay, perhaps Pal will change that... hopefully that's just a working tittle though... I would find it kinda hard to like an App called Pal.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:12 AM

Hopefully it's not "iPal"...or "i" anything, for that matter.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:16 AM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:21 AM

You know that thing kinda reminds me of a Hot Air Baloon... WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING!?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:23 AM

Yea, it does seem like a balloon.
It would go well with the "over-the-air" syncing part...

So if this thing is real...how long 'til it's up on Carracho?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:24 AM

OK is it just me or can anyone else picture PC geeks going PAL!? What the hell kinda name is PAL!? And the worst part is we won't be able to object cause it is a dumb name?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:26 AM

Well if it's called "Pal", and it's hardware, we can name ours.

"This is my new Pal...Joe".

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:27 AM

They soo should have called this The iNewt or something.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:34 AM

Reminds me too much of M$'s Palladium.

So maybe this has something to do with QuickTime 6.3's support of 3GPP, which is used for wireless QT streaming?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
They soo should have called this The iNewt or something.
Why in the hell should they have done that?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

exsilio
Jun 4, 2003, 02:13 AM

Superchic[k]en wrote: ..I would find it kinda hard to like an App called Pal. [/B]
lol...if that's your criteria for deciding on what apps to buy or not buy...you have issues man.

Anyways, idle speculation is nice. It would seem logical that Apple is ready to take their .Mac service to the next level, and iPal may be a part of that. We'll find out in a few weeks.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Jun 4, 2003, 06:45 AM

Lol, PAL, what a name to choose, PAL's with Piles.
Over her PAL is the broadcasting system standard, it's also got another use, meaning your friend. I guess Piles needs no no introduction to what that means here.
Now, where's that anusol?

TC  (op)
Senior User
Jun 4, 2003, 08:32 AM

Can anyone fill in the gaps from the closeup shot:

Green Ligh...
the Interne..

Forget disks. Forget syncing.

Pal takes your desktop and puts ...
fingertips. Using Mac OS X 10.3 t...
can take your life on the road. Fi...
use your computer and Pal to fix...
problems. So what are you waiting...
see the light.

I'd go for:
Green Light for
the Internet

Forget disks. Forget syncing. Think Different.

Pal takes your desktop and puts all of its data at your
fingertips. Using Mac OS X 10.3 to make it possible you
can take your life on the road. Finally it allows you to
use your computer and Pal to fix all your synchronising
problems. So what are you waiting for the time is right to
see the light.

Cipher13
Jun 4, 2003, 08:49 AM

Well. This opens the door to a Mac-Terminal machine. No HD, slimline, running off another system.

This better not just be a .Mac thing though.

As for those images of the box... they wouldn't be hard to fake.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 10:26 AM

The link at the top is broken... Did anybody save it?

Edit: Well, this is obviously real. Otherwise, Apple's lawyers wouldn't be making PowWeb take down the site. Thanks for confirming it!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:

Edit: Well, this is obviously real. Otherwise, Apple's lawyers wouldn't be making PowWeb take down the site. Thanks for confirming it!
Here is the full article from Top Tech Tips:

Apple News: Exclusive: New Apple 'Pal', Internet Service Software for 10.3 Coming
Posted on Tuesday, June 03 @ 06:48:39 PDT by byron_hinson
__
Final update & possible idea of what "Pal" is: - This was just sent in to us: Pal is a small wireless device with a touch sensitive screen, which can remotely login to your desktop Mac. It is suitable for surfing the web on the move. When your Mac is out of range, Pal logs in to your .Mac account, to provide limited functionality - hence "forget syncing". It has a pen based input method, using Inkwell, but it is not positioned as a Tablet PC since it does not have an internal hard drive. It's not a Mac replacement, it's a Mac companion. It's not a personal organiser, it's a handy means of accessing your desktop and the Internet wherever you are. It puts our desktop at your fingertips literally because you can see you desktop form a handy hand-held device. The reason they called it Pal rather than iPal is because it's a whole new product category (think Newton, Pipin etc) which is designed to work with both the consumer and pro range. This also explains why the logo and type size are a little different. This is not a box, and this is not the Pal packaging - it's in store POS Don't ask me how I know all this - I just know

This final update goes with what Mac Whispers were talking about last month.

We got sent in a few screenshots (including a box shot) earlier in the day showing off a new piece of Apple software/hardware called 'Pal'. It is being classed as an Internet service software that is basically the "Mac Desktop" for the Internet. Not like .Mac has been for a storing files, but something completely new. Coining the terms:"Illuminate the Internet.""See the Light" "Green Light to the Internet".

Another update: The .Mac website seems to clearly state a "Coming Soon" program that will allow "Anywhere Access" - http://www.mac.com/1/learningcenter/

The box shot reads:

"Green Light... the Internet... Forget discs. Forget synching... Pal takes your desktop and puts... your fingertips using Mac OS X 10.3... can take your life on the road... use your computer and Pal to fix... problems. So what are you waiting... see the light."

The box had an 'aqua' look lightbulb logo on it in green. We will try to get some more screenshots and post them up later, various other websites have been sent them but Apple's Legal team has asked for them to be removed (Which means they are likely to be real). Update: It is looking more and more like this piece of software or hardware from Apple will basically take your desktop/files and put it on to "Pal" (Assuming it is a Firewire drive or more likely an internet service) and you will be able to access your desktop and all of your preferences from any Panther Mac that has "Pal" installed. Nifty, assuming it doesn't turn out to be fake that is.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 11:37 AM

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 12:35 PM

The thing that I find strange is if this PAL is for 10.3 then why would they make the box now if we all think 10.3 is coming out in September. Perhaps 10.3 will be early?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:53 PM

Maybe it's the developers' copy for the WWDC? Or perhaps just a model of the box...not the "real thing"?

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 12:57 PM

The box looks fake to me.

kman

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:59 PM

OK. So they are saying that it's basically transmits your desktop wirelessly? What's the point? A slow desktop that you could use from another room? Or even slower via dial-up (or WAP?) somewhere? And how many regular Mac users leave their machines on 24/7 w/o letting them sleep? This makes very little sense to me at all.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:05 PM

If it uploads your desktop settings to your .Mac account I mean what is the point if you don't have access to all your FILES?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:13 PM

Perhaps you upload your home folder (with size limits, of course) to a .Mac account. Then you can log in to any internet-enabled computer with your settings etc.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 01:59 PM

even over broad band It wouldn't be good to host your desktop on .mac's servers. If anything it'll connect directly to your mac, and I'm sure they could moddify the sleep settings so it could spin your your HD and run a few functions for your Pal.

I still have to say Pal is the dumbest name ever.

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 02:23 PM

These box images look totally fake, especialy the first one. The perspective on the side is not right. Also, that perfectly rounded glow on the right side of the box screams Photoshop "Lighting Effect".

All the images cut off most of the words. Even my 5 year old nephew could take a picture of the whole box if he tried. Am I to believe that whoever took these photos couldn't fit the whole box into the picture even once? Am I also to believe the best pictures they had (only three) are all clipped?! It's too contrived. One might as well paist "I want to believe" beneath these images.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 02:24 PM

I like the name Pal. Short, informative.

I don't think anything will be hosted on .Mac. I believe it is much more likely theat they will be running their own dynamic DNS service, ala dyndns.org, but instead of having a stupic name like dyndns, you will get to use your .mac name. username.mac.com will take you to your machine (or machines). That would be pretty cool.

Pal may just be a slimmed down version of ARD, letting you access your machine from any 10.3 machine running Pal and interfacing through the .mac dynamic dns service. Probably not the fastest thing ever, but having access to your entire machine at all times is pretty tempting. I'm doubting that Pal is a hardware device; I just haven't seen any suggestions that would make sense.

kman

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
even over broad band It wouldn't be good to host your desktop on .mac's servers. If anything it'll connect directly to your mac, and I'm sure they could moddify the sleep settings so it could spin your your HD and run a few functions for your Pal.

I still have to say Pal is the dumbest name ever.
Ya not half as wicked cool as "Superchic[k]en".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
This is silly. Apple is just puting up som how-to's on there .mac site. It is as simple as that.

Power users already know that they can connect to their home computer from anywhere on the internet as long as they have there IP address and file sharing turned on.

So Apple will simply put up a "how-to" for the rest of the world, so every one will know how to do it.

"Access Anywhere" does not require some new software or OS feature. I have been doing it since OS9 supported filesharing over IP.

And the "Coming Soon" simply means they are still building that "How-to"

You will notice also that the page has a "Coming Soon" "How-to" on iSync...

This doesnt mean that I think PAL is not some cool new feature, I am sure it is, or atleast there will be other new cool features in 10.3 that we havent even though of yet. But this stuff on the .Mac site has NOTHING to do with it.

... At least IMHO...
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2003, 03:01 PM

OK what is up with those box shots? I mean it looks like Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder tag teamed and took those picts.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules