Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Big news day for turtles

Big news day for turtles
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 03:21 PM

Well, today was a big news day for turtles, with Reuters and AP battling head-to-head with competing turtle interest stories. I bet this is not the last we'll see of them.

From http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world...-turtles.html:
August 18, 2008
Confused Sea Turtles March Into Italian Restaurant
By REUTERS

Filed at 12:23 p.m. ET

ROME (Reuters) - About 60 newly hatched sea turtles lost their way during their ritual passage to the sea and marched into an Italian restaurant instead, a conservation worker said on Monday.

The baby turtles -- which ended up under the tables of startled diners at the beachside restaurant -- were probably thrown off track and lured by the eatery's bright lights, said Antonio Colucci, who was called to help rescue the group.

"They saw the artificial lights and took the wrong route," said Colucci, who works on a turtle monitoring project for the conservation group WWF (World Wide Fund for Nature).

"The diners were at first quite curious and then someone alerted the coastal authorities."

The stranded turtles, which had hatched on a beach in the southern Italian region of Calabria, were released into the sea.

Female sea turtles nest on beaches and their offspring instinctively head to the sea after hatching from their eggs.

(Reporting by Deepa Babington; editing by Robin Pomeroy)
From http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...n-Wheels.html:
August 18, 2008
Disabled turtle uses new wheels to find romance
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 3:04 p.m. ET

JERUSALEM (AP) -- Arava the disabled turtle is using her new set of wheels to get around in more ways than one. Officials at the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo say the 10-year-old spurred tortoise has begun mating since being fitted with a custom skateboard to overcome paralysis of her hind legs.

The 55-pound turtle is unable to move herself forward with her front legs alone. So the zoo's staff built her a metal board with two wheels that can be strapped to her stomach.

Arava arrived in Jerusalem a few months ago from a petting zoo in southern Israel with the unexplained handicap, and found no reptile romance. Zoo curator Shmulik Yedvad says it's not that Arava has come out of her shell with her unique new wheelchair, but that a particularly amorous 10-year-old male has been after her.

--------
On the Net: http://www.jerusalemzoo.org.il/len/

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

design219
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2008, 03:35 PM

My day is now complete.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

moep
Senior User
Aug 18, 2008, 03:36 PM

"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2008, 03:48 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules