Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Brett Favre (again)

Brett Favre (again) (Page 2)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
What...?!

Peterson's seeming inability to run without tucking his carrying arm drives me insane as much as the next guy, but regardless of his obvious failures, he still got it done when it counted, i.e. in the red zone. When you rush for 122 yards and 3 TDs then it's rather hard to stand by the position that you "lost" them the game, isn't it??

As much as I wanted Favre to win, that final interception was perhaps the dumbest, most stupid, most idiotic, completely head-scratching brain fart I've seen in these playoffs. You never, never, ever throw across the body after you've rolled. It was a classic Brett Favre all-or-nothing gamble – but in a situation when it didn't call for that type of play unless they were going for the win. There was absolutely no need to be aggressive if they were just trying for a short-yardage pickup.

All they needed to do was make a safe, short-yardage play to burn off some time and get them a little closer to kicking range. Terrible play. Terrible.

greg
3TDs, only one of which was really "his." If you give Peterson full credit for all three touch downs, then obviously you're blind to the facts. Any NFL running back can score from the 1 yard line with the offensive line the Vikings have.

The interception was a mistake, but it was the inability for Peterson to gain ANY yardage on 1st & 2nd down that forced the Vikings into a throwing situation (that and the 12 men penalty). A 55 yard field goal is far from a sure thing. Really far. Like 55 yards far.

Had Favre completed that pass, no one would be talking about how he shouldn't throw across his body, everyone would be talking about how he's one of the few QBs who can throw across his body and make a play, which is true.

Regardless, Vikings were the better team, but turnovers lost them the game. Anyone who thinks Favre is solely responsible for the loss is probably an NFL retiree, suffering from damage to the brain.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
If they don't pick up decent yardage on that play, no way in hell do they make the field goal. The penalty put them out of Longwell's range; and even without the penalty, they were barely in it. They needed to pick up decent yardage on that play to be able to get a decent shot at making the field goal.
Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
A 55 yard field goal is far from a sure thing. Really far. Like 55 yards far.
The Vikings kicker was routinely (and easily) making 52 yard FGs during warm-ups (according to the commentors). Sure, warm-ups are not the same as a game situation, but this kicker had hit from 52 yards during the season and clearly has enough leg to do it.

My point is that the Favre interception took away any chance the Vikings had to win that game in regulation. Whether it was 70-30, 60-40, 50-50, or 25-75 that the kicker would make a field goal from that distance, he didn't even get the chance because Favre made a bone-head play. It would be one thing if Favre had no where to go and had to get rid of the ball - he didn't. He was rolling right and had 10-15 yards of open field ahead of him towards the sideline. All he had to do was pull the ball down and keep running towards the sideline and he would have picked up 5-10 yards easily.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
The Vikings kicker was routinely (and easily) making 52 yard FGs during warm-ups (according to the commentors). Sure, warm-ups are not the same as a game situation, but this kicker had hit from 52 yards during the season and clearly has enough leg to do it.
52 < 55, especially in a game situation where the opponent is trying to block the kick.

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
My point is that the Favre interception took away any chance the Vikings had to win that game in regulation. Whether it was 70-30, 60-40, 50-50, or 25-75 that the kicker would make a field goal from that distance, he didn't even get the chance because Favre made a bone-head play. It would be one thing if Favre had no where to go and had to get rid of the ball - he didn't. He was rolling right and had 10-15 yards of open field ahead of him towards the sideline. All he had to do was pull the ball down and keep running towards the sideline and he would have picked up 5-10 yards easily.
While true, it still doesn't make sense to blame the loss on Favre, they should've been up two more touch downs, at least, but fumbles in the red-zone took away those chances, just like the interception took away the FG chance.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 04:03 PM

Look, I think everyone agrees that a lot of things went wrong for the Vikings in that game. But if you don't see the cruel humor in the Vikings' season ending on a stereotypical Brett Favre interception, after he had played decidedly unFavre-like all year, well, I don't know what to tell you. Favre nearly proved the skeptics wrong, until he didn't. It's perfect, particularly in the context of this thread.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Favre nearly proved the skeptics wrong, until he didn't. It's perfect, particularly in the context of this thread.
Although you are right with you analysis, I'm not sure what conclusion you are drawing from it.

Brett is at times reckless, but you don't get the good Bret w/o it.

Of course, you can go with someone that will NOT have surprises like this.
Play it Bears style, and you won't be disappointed, because you'll never get to a place where you got your hopes up

-t

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 12:18 AM

The Vikings were the better team and yes it's because of Favre. I used to laugh at the Vikings.

I still remember the 41-0 shutout at against the Giants in the 2001 NFC championship game.

That was the LAST time the Vikings ever made it this far.

Thanks to Favre. No way, no how the Vikings would have made it this far with Tavaris Jackson as QB.

Some of you criticize Favre for not running instead of passing - well you'll get to learn this soon enough but Favre *can't* run. Don't put him in a situation where he has to run, because he can't.

Aaron Rodgers can run. Favre can't. However Favre is one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL despite that.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2010, 02:49 PM

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2010, 03:57 PM

Sigh - I won't believe it until every team in the league has their first offensive play from scrimmage.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

Brett, nooooooooo!

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules