Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures]

E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures] (Page 10)
starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Link:
Xboxes don't have quality over other consoles. If you can't see that then you're a fanboy
Don't be an asshole. Seriously.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

fireside
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 12:31 AM

grow up Link. XBOX has its strength and weaknesses, PS2 has its strength and weaknesses, and GCN has its strength and weaknesses. once you start realizing that you'll go far in this world.

ps: get an original sig

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Guilty as charged .... im a "mac"-fanboy as well though.

you gotta admit it that your one as well.
Uh huh
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
grow up Link. XBOX has its strength and weaknesses, PS2 has its strength and weaknesses, and GCN has its strength and weaknesses. once you start realizing that you'll go far in this world.

ps: get an original sig
Oh, like YOUR sig is any less original?

1) Get image
2) Resize
3) Slap on name

All consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. However, in terms of bang for the buck, the Xbox wins hands down in terms of games that are spread across all consoles.

I've said that 1000 times in here. You're just being a complete prick.

Mike

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 12:36 AM

I take full responsibility for the sig only.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 12:40 AM

I just realized that the three people against the Xbox have Link as their sig.

FAAAAAAAAAAAANBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

Mike

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2004, 12:45 AM

I used to be anti-Xbox, but I stepped down from my throne when the Xbox started to get a number of good games and I realized that it didn't matter that they were ports of PC or PS2 games and not 'Xbox exclusives'. A good game is a good game, period.

Now, I am on the verge of purchasing the new Xbox-Halo bundle.

And Link, seriously, give it a rest.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 12:50 AM

I actually did give it a rest, and I've had an xbox for about a year and a half now... geez you people are complete morons sometimes
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I used to be anti-Xbox, but I stepped down from my throne when the Xbox started to get a number of good games and I realized that it didn't matter that they were ports of PC or PS2 games and not 'Xbox exclusives'. A good game is a good game, period.

And now, I am on the verge of purchasing the new Xbox-Halo bundle.

And Link, seriously, give it a rest.
You see, here's my problem. I've been playing videogames for something like 25 years. One thing I hated was that the graphics on every console were never really that good. The PS2 gave us nice FMVs, but the in-game graphics were still blocky. Apart from that, I have a nice HDTV setup. Then comes the Xbox. Gee...wouldn't it be LOGICAL to want to put the best of the best together? It's not a question of being a fanboy, it's supporting what the goddamn videogame companies should have been doing all along - pushing the envelope.

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy VII with my kids. It looks like ass. You go from crappy PS1 graphics to something like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II or SSX 3 in HDTV and there's no question that the Xbox was the right decision. Even newer games like Primal look dismal compared to the Xbox. Final Fantasy X and X-2 as well as Xenosaga help up well. However, the PS2 and Xbox versions of GTA:VC really show how poor the PS2's graphics are.

The GC fell a little short. What stupid moron at Nintendo put in progressive scan video support but kept the audio analog?????? Do you know how many receivers I had to go through to find the one that would switch it right since most receivers that support component video input ASSUME the audio will be digital also? I finally found one that supported analog.

The GC has some great games, but its biggest problem is that its exclusive games (Metroid, Zelda, Mario) are VERY low in number. It's a great little machine, but I use it the least.

And now that EA signed on with Xbox Live, there's really no need for a PS2 anymore in terms of EA games.

Mike

fireside
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Oh, like YOUR sig is any less original?

1) Get image
2) Resize
3) Slap on name

All consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. However, in terms of bang for the buck, the Xbox wins hands down in terms of games that are spread across all consoles.

I've said that 1000 times in here. You're just being a complete prick.

Mike
there is a difference between being "original" and being "easy to make." i had the first "new" Link sig. then came Hawkeyes then came an exact copy of Hawkeyes for Link's sig.

i don't see how i'm being a prick. all systems have their strength and weaknesses. i said that. you prefer XBOX or whatever you prefer. i prefer GCN. there is no "bang for buck" system because its subjective. i find gcn the best bang for buck because its $99

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
there is a difference between being "original" and being "easy to make." i had the first "new" Link sig. then came Hawkeyes then came an exact copy of Hawkeyes for Link's sig.

i don't see how i'm being a prick. all systems have their strength and weaknesses. i said that. you prefer XBOX or whatever you prefer. i prefer GCN. there is no "bang for buck" system because its subjective. i find gcn the best bang for buck because its $99
Wow. A mod comes in and the fanboys get humble all of a sudden.

Mike

fireside
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 01:03 AM

Wow. A mod comes in and the fanboys get humble all of a sudden.

Mike
and i quote Lil John "What?!"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 01:05 AM

OOOOOKKKKKKKK

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 01:07 AM

It's true, game companies don't constantly push the envelope.. though sometimes I doubt it's necessary.

I don't think the majority of gamecube owners have a TV that's worth more than $500 -- nor do I think most gamecube owners CARE whether their console supports 1080i or only 480p..

As far as actual graphic quality.. NO console is that good at this, since they're game consoles, not virtual reality machines. The minute you drop the game console factor and decide that you MUST have virtual reality from a computer is the minute that you realize computers can't make virtual reality since there's too damn many variables.

As far as games are concerned.. they'll get better, probably have gotten better, and will keep getting better.. but comparing consoles between the same generation for their graphics is silly.

FEATURES though, can be interesting. I find it funny that starman totally dropped a few reasons the xbox is attractive:

1. You have a more reliable storage system
2. The disks can hold more graphics data
3. You can choose what music you want (albeit the xbox is horribly slow at importing music and there's no way to import mp3s directly)
4. It has it's own music player (albeit I've never really cared for it) and whanot.

On the other hand, the gamecube has an elaborate expansion system (while it might not ever be used), a much smaller footprint AND smaller system disks (smaller is better in most cases).

It also has much lighter controllers which were a bit more contoured to be held by people (it's subjective I say!)

Then there's the PS2, which can play PS1 games, has probably one of THE largest game libraries of any console ever made, a controller that even gamecube fans like, and can use just about any USB device as well.. (I think)...

Maybe I'll just drop all my damn arguments and agree, ok? Starman is right. He wants to be right so let's just let him be right. Now he can go ahead and brag about how right he was because he spent $3000 on his TV.
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 01:12 AM

How is comparing consoles from the same generation silly? They're from the SAME GENERATION. Am I supposed to compare the Xbox to my Atari 2600?

And as for the graphics, I never said "virtual reality" quality. Have you played a game at 720p or 1080i? Obviously not. You keep making fun of me for it, but how could you when you haven't done it yourself? I mean, if you're going to make a bullsh*t statement like "As far as actual graphic quality.. NO console is that good at this, since they're game consoles, not virtual reality machines.", it's obvious that you're trying to bend the point by going to the extreme since you can't argue the point directly. Ownage.

Why is it "funny" that I dropped those reasons? I've mentioned them in other threads here (look it up). It wasn't relevant to the point I was making...which was a DIRECT shot back at you about the graphics, not the storage system.

Mike

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 01:14 AM

Fine. I already said I agreed with you. The Xbox is the mother of all systems and should never be threatened.. ever.. ok? Never.

Since you hate your gamecube so much? Let me know when you feel like unloading it
Aloha

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 01:15 AM

Fine. I already said I agreed with you. The Xbox is the mother of all systems and should never be threatened.. ever.. ok? Never.

Since you hate your gamecube so much? Let me know when you feel like unloading it
Again, you're intentionally being a prick. When did I say I HATE my GC? I just said I don't use it AS MUCH as the other consoles.

Seriously...stop the fanboy attitude. I put a lot of hours in with the GC.

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 01:19 AM

Sorry, I forgot...I use THIS the least:

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 01:52 AM

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 02:25 AM

"lol @ you"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 02:30 AM

Game Cartridge for NDS:

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 02:31 AM

Nice. But there needs to be a hand in there so we can get an idea of how big they are.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 04:04 AM

Of what?
XBox...you constantly remind us that it's the best system.

To me the best system is one that can compete. Imagine pro athelets running the 100m, the GameCube, PS2 & Xbox being runners....only in this case, the XBox has been souped up with steroids (selling for FAR under it's production costs). Sure to the naked eye, XBox might appear to win the race, but it's definately not the best...let alone the winner. (Steroids = anti-competitive subsidies).

And me, well im a spectator, cheering on the PS2&NGC, which i admit is a worthy competitor in the gaming industry. You on the other hand, sing praises for the cheater.

I love my GameCube, but i do like the playstation as well.

Cheers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 18, 2004 at 04:09 AM. )

entrox
Senior User
May 18, 2004, 05:41 AM

I'm looking forward to the DS; the touch screen, if properly utilised, could bring some much needed variety to gaming. The first thing that plopped into my mind was some kind of magic-centric game, where you would cast spells by drawing runes similar to Black & White. You'd have the normal view on the upper screen and a magic pad on the lower. Should work fine if it is turn-based.
The possibilities for puzzle games also seem endless. I just hope other developers will latch on to the idea and create something innovative.

Cipher13
May 18, 2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Gameboy is targeted to under 20 crowd. The PSP is targeted to 20+

The 20+ market is much more lucrative.
You're joking, right? How many 20+ year olds will buy a portable video-games system to play on the train, or while at work, or something?

The only reason it's even SOMEWHAT lucrative is because it's largely untapped - and there's a reason for that.

I can't believe you really believe this

Cipher13
May 18, 2004, 07:27 AM

Very funny.
What, you don't think I meant every word I said?

Originally posted by Michel_80:
I thought we are talking about hardware and not operating systems. I think Dos is better looking than Me.
Yeah, you're right - DOS probably is better looking than you.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
You're joking, right? How many 20+ year olds will buy a portable video-games system to play on the train, or while at work, or something?

The only reason it's even SOMEWHAT lucrative is because it's largely untapped - and there's a reason for that.

He's right.

There was a news article on Neowin a few weeks ago that said the age of the average gamer is going UP.

Older = $$$

Mike

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 08:32 AM

XBox...you constantly remind us that it's the best system.

To me the best system is one that can compete. Imagine pro athelets running the 100m, the GameCube, PS2 & Xbox being runners....only in this case, the XBox has been souped up with steroids (selling for FAR under it's production costs). Sure to the naked eye, XBox might appear to win the race, but it's definately not the best...let alone the winner. (Steroids = anti-competitive subsidies).

And me, well im a spectator, cheering on the PS2&NGC, which i admit is a worthy competitor in the gaming industry. You on the other hand, sing praises for the cheater.

I love my GameCube, but i do like the playstation as well.

Cheers.
That's a retarted analogy.

Well, coming from you....

The Xbox isn't "on steroids". You might as well use that analogy for the PS1 vs. Dreamcast. Duh.

Mike

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2004, 08:37 AM

He's right.

There was a news article on Neowin a few weeks ago that said the age of the average gamer is going UP.

Older = $$$

Mike
It's true. Videogaming is a generational phenomenon rather than a youth-phenomenon.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 09:29 AM

That's a retarted analogy.

Well, coming from you....

The Xbox isn't "on steroids". You might as well use that analogy for the PS1 vs. Dreamcast. Duh.

Mike
Absolutely,positively,glorious commentary. Now.....mind tells us why ?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 09:57 AM

Absolutely,positively,glorious commentary. Now.....mind tells us why ?
If you're too stupid to see why, then there's no point in responding.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 10:42 AM

If you're too stupid to see why, then there's no point in responding.

Mike
oh yeah...i should have known. how stupid of me .By the way, you got great debating skills.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2004, 10:51 AM

oh yeah...i should have known. how stupid of me .By the way, you got great debating skills.
I'll give you a hint:

The password is...overlap

Link
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
It's true. Videogaming is a generational phenomenon rather than a youth-phenomenon.
Likely because the videogame companies haven't done a very good job appealing to the potentially new videogame addicts.

Besides, wouldn't this mean that it would have been going up and the amount of new gamers dropping since the 80s, the prime of the game industry?
Aloha

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2004, 09:18 PM

Adam, get that video interview with Perrin Kaplan off IGN!!! I'd like to see that.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 02:44 AM

New Zelda screenshots:

*stiffy*

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 03:12 AM

Damn, that third screenshot look so good.

*drool*

nforcer
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 07:10 AM

Just by looking at those 3 imaages, it looks like it has something of a Zelda 2 for NES feel to it.
Genius. You know who.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
New Zelda screenshots:

*stiffy*
Anti Aliasing?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 08:39 AM

When are those bastards gonna release the extended trailer they had at E3 this year ? youd think they'd include it in games coming out as a teaser video, but nooooooooo.

Good stuff..... for a console that, according to some is "showing it's age". eat it

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
Anti Aliasing?
It usually looks better when in motion though.

You should be glad that it's nowhere near as bad as PS2's aliasing

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 01:37 PM

Yeah, the direct screenshots always look bad with aliasing than they do when you actually play them. These new shots are hawt. I hope the game is huge and epic.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 24, 2004, 02:12 PM

This realistic Zelda would make a great launch title for Nintendo's next console...

I would hate to buy a Gamecube for this one game alone.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:33 PM

why would we bump this thread...

oh and by the way those are hawt pics.
i just hope it doesn't have framerate problems like ocarina and majora's mask, by the way those games also had resolution problems, they played at a quarter of the resolution of a tv didn't they.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2004, 03:41 PM

What framerate problems? They were both capped at 20 FPS. There was, I think one or two spots in OOT where the framerate skipped. Otherwise, it was solid and capped.

This new Zelda will almost definitely be capped at 30 FPS.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Rumor has it that older people with jobs have more money and don't just get games on Christmas.

Most people at E3 are over the age of 18.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
What framerate problems? They were both capped at 20 FPS. There was, I think one or two spots in OOT where the framerate skipped. Otherwise, it was solid and capped.

This new Zelda will almost definitely be capped at 30 FPS.
during fast motion 20 frames per second looks bad though, if just barely. besides it skipped whenever there was more than 3 monsters. and there is still the problem where nintendo cut the resolution so they could even get those framerates. i think they cut the resolution down to 320x240. a quarter of a tv's resolution. then they blew it up to full tv resolution(640x480). Although i have to admit it was amazing they got those graphics on a nintendo 64.
oh and to severed hand of skywalker you do realize that post was made five freakin months ago before this thread was bumped.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 09:35 AM

Nintendo recently unveild their Q1 and Q2 2005 lineup of games and noticeably absent is this Zelda game. If I were to take a guess, I think we have another Dinosoar Planet on our hands. If true, this move will definitely wow people at E3 2005- where quality games for each respective company's new systems is more important than ever before in the history of console gaming. Aren't each expected to announce new consoles at the next E3 (May 2005)? Funny that this is also around the same time the new Zelda is supposed to be released for GameCube...

Nintendo's future lies in their own hands.

EDIT: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11...s_6113003.html

Sorry for the confusion. The Zelda title is on this list afterall, without a working name, a confirmed release date, or any concrete details. All we have are screenshots and speculation at this point. Nintendo is being very tight lipped about this title. (IGN says June. That is one month after E3.) It makes sense for Nintendo to have this title on their list, just as it makes sense for Nintendo to be very tight lipped about the game... Nintendo could very well release this title on the Cube, but this situation is all but a little too familiar to me: (Dinosoar Planet)

Noah
( Last edited by im_noahselby; Nov 25, 2004 at 02:11 PM. )
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Nintendo recently unveild their Q1 and Q2 2005 lineup of games and noticeably absent is this Zelda game. If I were to take a guess, I think we have another Dinosoar Planet on our hands. If true, this move will definitely wow people at E3 2005- where quality games for each respective company's new systems is more important than ever before in the history of console gaming. Aren't each expected to announce new consoles at the next E3 (May 2005)? Funny that this is also around the same time the new Zelda is supposed to be released for GameCube...

Nintendo's future lies in their own hands.

Noah
I'm assuming you are talking about these titles. Unless I misunderstand the article, those games are not the only games that will be released in Q1 and Q2 from Nintendo. They are simply newly-announced titles. Considering Nintendo released new Zelda screenshots along with the screenshots from these new titles, I definitely think Zelda will be coming out around the same time as the rest of them.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
I'm assuming you are talking about these titles. Unless I misunderstand the article, those games are not the only games that will be released in Q1 and Q2 from Nintendo. They are simply newly-announced titles. Considering Nintendo released new Zelda screenshots along with the screenshots from these new titles, I definitely think Zelda will be coming out around the same time as the rest of them.
No, I'm not reffering to those screenshots in the article you have mentioned. I'm simply stating a likely sittuation that could very easily end up playing out. This is based on previous history at Nintendo (see article in my last post) and the looming, but all too important next generation console wars.

Lets just say, I don't think GameCube owners should be frothing at the mouth, just yet.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Forum Links
Forum Rules