Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures]

E3 2004! [Warning: May contain Pictures] (Page 5)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 06:14 PM

Gameboy is targeted to under 20 crowd. The PSP is targeted to 20+

The 20+ market is much more lucrative.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 06:35 PM

Does the PSP have Skip Protection?

Personally, I love Nintendo, as I am a fan of Apple similarly. The new Zelda today, roxxored my world. It is going to be the best of 2005. It was simply put: impressive and Amazoing�

Where is ...SEGA!?!?!?

mishap
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 06:57 PM

The PSP is beautiful...Sony has the best industrial design team anywhere!

i wish i could say the same for nintendo, but look at the DS

mishap
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:

Personally, I love Nintendo, as I am a fan of Apple similarly. The new Zelda today, roxxored my world. It is going to be the best of 2005. It was simply put: impressive and Amazoing�

Where is ...SEGA!?!?!?
Sega announcement is tomorrow at 10am Pacific

Link
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:08 PM

I hope SEGA's "big announcement" is good news... a new portable.. console.. or even just a new series of sonic games...

Heaven forbid they pull a "We're teaming up with microsoft to make the best games on the planet!"
Aloha

fireside
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Two years to overtake gameboy? Sounds reasonable.

What is so wrong with it?
the original Playstation 2 hasn't even taken over GBA sales, i highly doubt a portable playstation will over take it.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
the original Playstation 2 hasn't even taken over GBA sales, i highly doubt a portable playstation will over take it.
Why would it, they are not competing products.

One40 by Fourty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 07:27 PM

\

No, you have to remain completely motionless when using there "portable".
( Last edited by One40 by Fourty; May 11, 2004 at 10:22 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Then why such a wonderful thing that it's gone? I mourn for Nintendo's going back to the classic PPLQ graphics, frankly; I want to see more experimentation with style, and WW was one of the best examples of that.
Millennium, compared t o the relalistic link footage they released before windwaker came out, i think this one is heaps different. lighting, shading, character models, etc. I dont know how to explain it, but this new one they are working on, is what i always thought "Zelda" was about.... like a fantasy land...it really remind me of movies like "The Black Cauldron", and the animated versions of the Lord of the rings. i dont know how they acheived that look, but from my perspective it's what Zelda was mant to be. Dontg et me wrong, i still love The Wind Waker, and the graphics were awesome n all, the style was a trend setter to be sure, and the gameplay was amazing (it was my first Zelda game). But just the sheer cinematic nature of the one thats coming up is really great. they have retained the 'child-like' nature of the series, while making it more realistic, and i think this one will strike the perfect balance between oler players and kids.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 07:32 PM

What about the price? Sounds pretty expensive.

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
ask, and yee shal recieve.

PSP Product Specifications
...impressive long list of specs

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
What about the price? Sounds pretty expensive.
As always, expect Sony to sell it at a huge loss at first.

My guess is $200 in the United States and $250 in Western Europe.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 07:38 PM

The PSP is cool. BUT....
1. i think it's got too many thing-a-ma-jiggers to it...movie playback, video games, music, photos, etc... i like my products to have clear distint uses and to excell at them. Example: iPod...perfect for music. (contacts,calendars...not an issue, but it diditn influence the hardware....was acheived by software). Cell phones....i want mine to have good reception and have a decent interface.personally, i cant stand the camera phones...if i want a camera, ill buy a decent one instead of paying for a hybrid with overall terrible quality pictures.

2. Price ?

3. close to PS2 graphical capability?.....now you have to ask yourself....when looking at the relitavely tiny sceen on one of these things, is that much graphical capability even gonna make a difference while playing ? i'm into OpenGl and graphics programming , and i personally think it's overkill..... the higher price paid for manufacturing this better graphics system, wont make a difference(to the eye), and to me seems like they could have lowered the price and made it less expensive.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 07:49 PM

Forget PSP. It's just an Atari Lynx wannabe.

Go ATARI LYNX!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
The PSP is cool. BUT....
1. i think it's got too many thing-a-ma-jiggers to it...movie playback, video games, music, photos, etc...
Rules apply differently to Sony. PS2 plays movies and games. Nobody complains. Sony Pictures will release movies on UDF format if the PSP is popular. Then other companies will follow. They have a monopoly and they can use it. The PSP will obviously sell like crazy off the back of PS2s popularity and the Sony brand. If it sells millions then UDF movies will follow.

This thing is hot and I want one! Think, I'll be able to play internet games from the bathtub!

Link
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 08:33 PM

To be fairly honest, my only thing against the PSP is that it's made by sony.

I don't like sony.. ****ing arrogant anti american bastids. "WE RELEAS NEW PRODUCT!!! IT TOO SUPERIOR TO RELEASE IN US BECAUSE WE JAPANESE"

Yet they have Nnoooooo problems taking our money.. no sirreee!!!

OTOH nintendo is too but their worst stunt was the NES vs famicom crap.. oh well
Aloha

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Link:

I don't like sony.. ****ing arrogant anti american bastids. "WE RELEAS NEW PRODUCT!!! IT TOO SUPERIOR TO RELEASE IN US BECAUSE WE JAPANESE"

OTOH nintendo is too but their worst stunt was the NES vs famicom crap.. oh well
What are you referring to?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Will McGoonigle:
Rules apply differently to Sony. PS2 plays movies and games. Nobody complains. Sony Pictures will release movies on UDF format if the PSP is popular. Then other companies will follow. They have a monopoly and they can use it. The PSP will obviously sell like crazy off the back of PS2s popularity and the Sony brand. If it sells millions then UDF movies will follow.

This thing is hot and I want one! Think, I'll be able to play internet games from the bathtub!
But look what happened to the mini-disk.i too think this thing will sell like crazy, but i doubt it's movie functionality will ever catch on.

mishap
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by hyteckit:
Forget PSP. It's just an Atari Lynx wannabe.

Go ATARI LYNX!

LOL! you're right! and the Nintendo DS is trying to be...umm..some kind of child's toy. you could probably hit your younger brother with it and he wouldnt get hurt.

The SP is still the sexiest portable. nothing can beat the feeling of putting it in your pocket...i would be scared to take the PSP out anywhere.

bling bling indeed.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
What are you referring to?
He's not even sure.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mishap
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 08:50 PM

that is some blatant racist sh*T, but that seems to be the trend in this country.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 08:52 PM

Yeah, damn those ****ing arrogant anti american bastids. We americans are superior to everyone else. All products need to be release in america first. It's okay if we americans don't release products to other countries, but it's freakin wrong if other countries does the same to us. Damn those anti american bastids.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 08:53 PM

MiniDisk is popular in Japan. (Don't understand why, but it is.) It's thought that a rewritable UMD (not UDF) will eventually replace MiniDisk.

The PSP will not be anywhere as successful as SCEI (and Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures, for that matter) hope it will be when it comes to video playback. There's a reason why Apple has chosen not to make an iPod video player: you can't safely look at a screen for long periods of time while you're walking.

Will video playback have its place on the PSP? Probably. It's easier to carry a PSP and UMDs with you on a plane or bus than a portable DVD player.

As an audio player, expect the PSP to be a formidable competitor to the iPod, however.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 08:58 PM

PSP, competitor to the ipod? Nope, different category. People are buying iPods for its portability and simplicity. PSP is for those who want a portable multi-function device that is not quite "fits in your pocket" portable.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2004, 08:58 PM

Link... why is it that whenever you feel the need to share your opinion here, you end up saying something so stupid that most of the posts following yours are from people you pissed off?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:01 PM

( Last edited by Adam Betts; May 12, 2004 at 02:49 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:10 PM

Wow, the PSP looks sweet from the link Adam Betts posted. Don't know if I'll get one though. Gameboy Advance SP is good enough and portable enough. PSP is too big to fit in a shirt pocket. That's one thing I didn't like about the Atari Lynx was because it is a hassle carrying it around.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 09:16 PM

PSP, competitor to the ipod? Nope, different category. People are buying iPods for its portability and simplicity. PSP is for those who want a portable multi-function device that is not quite "fits in your pocket" portable.
Different category, certainly, but portable music players are a niche market. I am not arguing that a PSP would be a replacement for current iPod (or Digital Jukebox or Rio or iRiver or Nomad or whatever) owners, but to a consumer who is looking to purchase a portable music player and sees that the PSP can play games in addition to playing music, albeit not as well as a dedicated portable music player, many times, said consumer will buy a PSP instead of an iPod.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
*snip*
I think the Nintendo DS games look fun, and I'm glad Nintendo's taking the GameBoy in a different direction. There are two many narrow-minded people who don't see that maybe, just maybe there's some neat stuff that can come out of having two screens. The PSP's going to be a bit too much for my pocket book, but with DS being able to play GameBoy advanced games, I think I might have found a replacement for my GameGear (which I still has been unmatched in terms of portable goodness over the years).

The new Zelda looks amazing. Again, too many narrow-minded people towards Wind Walker when it came out but now they get their more "mature" version of Zelda. I think Nintendo did it right by having these two different styles for Zelda. Resident Evil 4 looks to be the most perfect zombie game ever created, and even the new Starfox looks fun, though I wish they'd get back to the flying Starfox games. Since I'm a sucker for the oldschool, I'm really looking forward to Paper Mario. The shot of Mario folding up into a paper airplane is just damn neat. All the games just go to show that the GameCube's graphics capabilities are nothing to snub one's nose at. I'm glad to have one.

And for those in the PSP vs. DS debate, who cares? They both look really good for different reasons, and I hope they both do well. There's a lot to be excited about from this E3.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Link... why is it that whenever you feel the need to share your opinion here, you end up saying something so stupid that most of the posts following yours are from people you pissed off?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:

The PSP will not be anywhere as successful as SCEI (and Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures, for that matter) hope it will be when it comes to video playback. There's a reason why Apple has chosen not to make an iPod video player: you can't safely look at a screen for long periods of time while you're walking.
Really? Gosh.

BTW, most of the time I've seen people with iPods they are sitting down on buses, planes, trains, on the couch, etc. People with gameboys too. Now they get music, games and vids.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 09:28 PM

Just pointing out the obvious. Problem is, Microsoft, Archos, and a number of other companies don't seem to understand this.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
MOVIES: (expire in 5 days)

PSP
Dont care if the world ends. I want to play Fifa and Gran Turismo on that.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:40 PM

The PSP is better than the Gameboy except for the fact that the GBDS is got a much bigger library (kinda like the PS2 lol).

I will be buying the PSP definately, could not stand the kid's image of the Gameboy.

Can you just imagine if someone comes up with emulators/etc for it? I think GBA's can play SNES/SMS/Atari/whatever games already, but this will nice.
Simply amazing!

ambush
Banned
May 11, 2004, 09:41 PM

I'm so saving money for this PSP thing.

Holy smokes. Think about it. You're with your 4 PSP equipped friends, and you play a game of Gran Turismo in multiplayer.

And like. Think about it. I could go like to the bathroom and take a **** and still win the game.

It blows my mind.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:42 PM

I'll just carry my PowerBook 12" rather than the $400 PSP.

It's a better game machine, mp3 player, video player, web browser, and computer.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:44 PM

Are these true for the PSP?

Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats.

ambush
Banned

It's a better game machine, mp3 player, video player, web browser, and computer.
Is that the official price? *burst of tears*

Oh wait. Someone is already trying to install Linux on it

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer

Yeah, great footy and racing games

We really need them. Widescreen footy on my 17 would be yingtong yiddle i po.

Will McGoonigle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Michel_80:
Are these true for the PSP?

Dolby 7.1 multi-channel audio, with 3D sound. It will support MP3, AAC and Sony's own ATRAC3 sound formats.
Yes, its true. There's a special suit you have to plug in to the PSP. It has two shoulder mounted speakers, two hand glove speakers, two speakers at the knees, one on your back and the subwoofer goes up your ....

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:48 PM

The thing with the PSP and with PS2 is that you are not embarassed to pull it out in front of your mates. Unlike the GBA.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Michel_80:
The thing with the PSP and with PS2 is that you are not embarassed to pull it out in front of your mates. Unlike the GBA.
You have some insecurity issues you should work on, then. Or find new friends. Or are you 12*?

*Now's your chance. I left that joke wide open. You whiners** should jump on it.

**"Hardcore gamers."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 09:55 PM

Man, where is that playstation emulator when you need it. I should be able to play Gran Turismo if it is running VGS (Virtual Game Station). Well, if it runs VGS at all.

****, forget VGS, I'll just run other emulators on my PB.

Sealobo
May 11, 2004, 09:56 PM

If you can afford a $399 iPod... then the PSP is a no brainer. I am so getting one.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 09:59 PM

"The PSP will not be able to display anything that you cannot do on a current system... we want to do things that you could not do before. We are looking at the creative end," commented games design legend Shigeru Miyamoto in the USA Today piece.
here is my problem w/ Nintendo.
Look at all those movies Betts posted (thank you adam btw...)
where is the "innovation" of one screen showing the game, the other a map?! i mean for their demos to show off the tech to customers and some develiopers you'd think they would have something impressive and well..INNOVATIVE!

Nintendo 0
Sony 1

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 09:59 PM

Go Nintendo on everything.

i am so very excited.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 10:02 PM

The PSP will not cost $399. Sony knows better than to price it that high. $250 at most.

Anyway, how do you play Ape Escape with only one analog stick?

And... didn't Nintendo previously say that it was going to stick with cartoon Zelda for the next Zelda game because changing the visual style would mean the game wouldn't be finished until after the next generation of gaming consoles were already available?

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 10:05 PM

I think adding another screen to a portable adds a whole dimension to the gameplay. I believe one screen is touch sensitive, which is great. I'll just watch and see what games take advantage of it before deciding on the gameboy DS.

PSP is cool and all, but would I be willing to fork out $400 for a glorified portable game machine? Not sure.

Right now, I'm not interested in purchasing either.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2004, 10:06 PM

Go Nintendo on everything.

i am so very excited.
Here's my problem with the DS:

Nintendo's in a hole. They can't figure out how to do things right with one screen, so they make two.

And the hole gets deeper....

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
And... didn't Nintendo previously say that it was going to stick with cartoon Zelda for the next Zelda game because changing the visual style would mean the game wouldn't be finished until after the next generation of gaming consoles were already available?
Yeah, they said that only to fool us and lowered our expectation for next Zelda game. Brilliant move, if you ask me. I bet that they started working on realistic Zelda right after the Spaceworld Demo.

One thing I still haven't figured out is who the hell is developing Zelda right now? maybe EAD?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 10:16 PM

One thing I didn't like about the PSP video was that half of it was cutscenes. Yeah, anyone can make their system look awesome if they just use lots of cutscenes to advertise it. Nintendo's demo videos, on the other hand, were almost completely gameplay footage. Now, I realize that the PSP is significantly more powerful than the DS anyway, but I don't think the gap is quite as large as it appears at first glance. Also, remember that the PSP will cost at least twice as much as the DS.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules