Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Redmond, Start your Photocopiers,"

"Redmond, Start your Photocopiers,"
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:00 PM

Here comes WWDC!

-Owl

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

"Introducing Longhorn."
"This should keep Redmond busy."
"Redmond, we have a problem."
"Redmond, start your photocopiers."

(If it was a race, i would have won link )
Luke

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:03 PM

*L* Sweet.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
"Introducing Longhorn."
"This should keep Redmond busy."
"Redmond, we have a problem."

(If it was a race, i would have won link )
hehe, sorry thought it deserved its own topic

-Owl

sandsl
Senior User
Jun 27, 2004, 09:09 PM

No your right, definately does deserve its own
The guy posted higher quality copies to his .mac account, since livejournal is getting overloaded.
Luke

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 09:20 PM

Apple is really upping the ante with these banners. Hopefully there will have the product to back it up and it won't just be more hype like the marketing campaign leading up to the flat panel iMac.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:38 PM

those are great

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 09:38 PM

sorry, double post.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 09:45 PM

That's funny

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 09:56 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be taunting Microsoft... they're evil!

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2004, 10:22 PM

If they don't fix the lookupd crash issue in 10.3 I'm not even going to bother buying 10.4.
Aloha

Maquero
Jun 27, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Apple is really upping the ante with these banners. Hopefully there will have the product to back it up and it won't just be more hype like the marketing campaign leading up to the flat panel iMac.
I thought the flat panel iMac was astonishing and ground-breaking.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Link:
If they don't fix the lookupd crash issue in 10.3 I'm not even going to bother buying 10.4.
Jeez, you sure like to complain a lot about OS X

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2004, 10:47 PM

Not to read into those banners too much or anything, but seems there's a nice cross between 10.2's Jaguar theme and 10.3's "metal" theme. Maybe we'll finally get a system-wide ability to change from brushed metal to Aqua (and vice versa for those who prefer that) since there seems to be a bit of convergence the themes of 10.2 and 10.3.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 10:59 PM

Hey... my home is 2 mins away from Redmond, WA...

Those are sweet posters/banners Apple came up with.

I wish I can get all of them.

lngtones
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 11:06 PM

MacMinute is claiming they took the pictures? They all have a macminute watermark on them.

http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/27/tigerbanners

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by lngtones:
MacMinute is claiming they took the pictures? They all have a macminute watermark on them.

http://www.macminute.com/2004/06/27/tigerbanners
maybe its just incase someone directly links to them (like I did). Then they get advertising.

-Owl

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2004, 11:21 PM

I have to admit, the fake tiger fur, the black background, and the chrome X is one of the least appealing logos apple has made in a while. it looks like something I would find on a bottle of motor oil.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by John F. Smith:
I have to admit, the fake tiger fur, the black background, and the chrome X is one of the least appealing logos apple has made in a while. it looks like something I would find on a bottle of motor oil.
You got something against motor oil?

Great banners!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2004, 11:54 PM

As I said in the other thread:

Shame they're keeping that ugly brushed X, but those ads are hilarious. Introducing Longhorn? Wonder what that means in terms of comparable features to Longhorn. Vectorized GUI perhaps?

I seriously love those ads. That's awesome. I wonder if Steve came up with that. If not, I'm sure he got a kick out of them.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Apple is really upping the ante with these banners. Hopefully there will have the product to back it up and it won't just be more hype...
Couldn't have said it better. Taunting Microsoft is fine, but I hope Apple can back it up or else it'll look kind of foolish.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

Hah, that's great!

I remember them doing stuff like this on their website for the MWSF when they intro'd the FP iMac.

John F. Smith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2004, 12:59 AM

Item! it must be that Steve Jobs is releasing Tiger Mac OS X on both Mac & x86! This would explain why the processor isn't shown in the About Box, why Tiger is now in the front of the name, and why they have all that hoopla about competing with Longhorn. Bill Gates certainly wouldn't be happy about that!

Item! In order for the Piles to function with a high level of responsiveness, the de-bug code will be permanently removed in this release, according to Phil Schiller. A scaled down version will run on a G5 iPod.

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 01:04 AM

G5 iPod.
Damn, you would need ovem-mitts to hold that iPod.

-Owl

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 01:08 AM

They had really better have the goods to back up these taunts. I predict that Tiger will either be incredible, or horribly disappointing.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Damn, you would need ovem-mitts to hold that iPod.

-Owl
No, you'll need Apple Oven-Mitts�. They retail for only $249 and are a trendy accessory that every iPod owner must have!

(Please note that this product will not work with any earlier Apple product as we want you to spend as much money as possible.)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
"I predict that Tiger will either be incredible, or horribly disappointing."
People said the same line for every OS X releases. Getting really old now...

"If it doesn't meet my expectation, IT SUCKS!!"

Blah blah blah blah..

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Blah blah blah blah..
Exactly. Tiger will probably be a very nice update, but since people will expect flying cars, they'll all whine about it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Exactly. Tiger will probably be a very nice update, but since people will expect flying cars, they'll all whine about it.
Oh please! Apple is setting itself up for exactly that kind of reaction.

I wouldn't have said that if it weren't for these taunts. You don't go up against the 800lb gorilla if you're not damn sure you're going to win.

Blah blah blah blah..
Except that Apple hasn't been this flagrant in its attacks on Microsoft ever. And I've never complained about a release. I thought Jaguar and Panther were both great.

And did you know that you're really irritating? It's getting really old now...
( Last edited by wataru; Jun 28, 2004 at 02:00 AM. )

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 01:55 AM

I wouldn't have said that if it weren't for these taunts. You don't go up against the 800lb gorilla if you're not damn sure you're going to win.

Defintely true. Apple generates a lot of its own hype.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 28, 2004, 02:02 AM

OK, I got some blockage of the brain going on at the moment.

I get the others but...

Someone wanna explain how "Redmond, start your photocopiers" is supposed to be funny?

It's just not clicking in.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:

I get the others but...

Someone wanna explain how "Redmond, start your photocopiers" is supposed to be funny?

They're implying that Microsoft copies all of their features. At least that's what I got out of it.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 02:15 AM

Except that Apple hasn't been this flagrant in its attacks on Microsoft ever.

Unfortunately it's true.. If 10.4 sucks then Apple set themselves up for the bashing. Nuff said.

What I'd hope to see:

*bugfixes in 10.3 BEFORE 10.4 comes out (the lookupd thing)
(in 10.4)

*Streamlined aqua interface -- finally fix the ugly *#$@(ing widgets

*More UI flexibility - EVERYONE would like to see this. Adjustable effect intensities (ways to turn off shadows (maybe OS 9 style shadows available as an option) -- interface SIZE (for higher DPI monitors), and ESPECIALLY adjustable desktop/finder window icon spacing!

*restore points? This would be really nice

*A terminal services counterpart

*make the global file search thing accessible by a hot key

*Optional (set by default) to have machine's IP show up in the "about this mac" box

*(while already partially there) an actual dock shelf. So to say, a third "section" where you could optionally drop files and have them physically exist there (in a "dock shelf" folder)

*movie previews optionally only showing the first 30 seconds of a movie file so the machine doesn't bog down reading the entire thing

*dock trunication -- apps side of dock shrinking down to only the open apps when clicking the dock in such a way

*this one's a trick but -- make it where when you hover over things like the trash, it says "Trash (51 items)" or "Mail (2 new messages)" that way there only needs to be a little dot or something showing that you've got new mail (the dots with numbers are practically useless if you have more than 5 icons in your dock)

*mail's dock icon so that when you right click it, it shows trunticated subject lines of new messages?

*vector gui (OMG omg omg)

*Lock screen (screeensaver lock BUT without the screensaver CPU usage!!) - most people's screens go off after a delay anyway

*Screensavers that don't suck up 30% of your CPU's resources when idle.
Aloha

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 03:41 AM

Except that Apple hasn't been this flagrant in its attacks on Microsoft ever. And I've never complained about a release. I thought Jaguar and Panther were both great.

Ever? ever!?! Have you been under the rock all those time?

You've been criticizing Apple's decision with OS X a lot in the past so please don't play a "I supported them in the past but this time it's different" card. It's nothing new now, really.

And no I'm not irritating. You just don't like my opinion like I don't like whinnners.

moep
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 04:09 AM

Gotta love it. Too bad there's no Livestream of the Keynote.

Has anyone got a hold of a high-res version of the Poster-pic yet?
Guess it would make a nice Wallpaper...

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 04:10 AM

The Apple commercials from the early 90's are definitely direct attacks at Microsoft. There was also a whole Windows 95 bashing campaign I think.

But I really can't think of any other direction they could take for an operating system.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:

I get the others but...

It's not that funny to me... just a little chuckling

It's their little message of "get ready to copy us again, we're looking forward to it"

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 05:24 AM

The banners are pretty funny, and hopefully shows where OS X is heading. It's strange that they're comparing it to Longhorn though, an OS not released for another couple of years.

So, if this a shot at Longhorn's features, then I guess Tiger will have: a metadata driven filesystem; networking that works way better than it does just now in Panther; a Finder that is modern, customisable, and dynamically updates itself.
Plus, if that dashboard thing is actually real, then let's hope it's just a very early concept, because from the screenies, it's got a long, long way before it compares to Longhorn's Sidebar.

Let's hope Apple can pull it off.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:28 AM

Maybe these potshots at MS are the beginning of a themed campaign to promote OS X. If so, it's about time. I will never understand why Apple didn't take advantage of all the negative press about virii, spyware, adware, trojan horses, worms and all the rest and turn it into an advertising campaign for OS X.

frates
Jun 28, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by vertex:
It's strange that they're comparing it to Longhorn though, an OS not released for another couple of years.
[...]
Plus, if that dashboard thing is actually real, then let's hope it's just a very early concept, because from the screenies, it's got a long, long way before it compares to Longhorn's Sidebar.
It's ok, but we'll see that sidebar on windows in two years. The dashboard thing, if real, will be in the very next release of mac os. You can't just compare it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 08:45 AM

Ever? ever!?! Have you been under the rock all those time?

You've been criticizing Apple's decision with OS X a lot in the past so please don't play a "I supported them in the past but this time it's different" card. It's nothing new now, really.

And no I'm not irritating. You just don't like my opinion like I don't like whinnners.
No, I haven't been under a rock. Give me one example of a time that they taunted Microsoft this blatantly.

WTF are you talking about? Show me one instance of me complaining about Jaguar or Panther. Go ahead. Try.

And yes, you are irritating. You purposely phrase your opinion in obnoxious ways. I don't know if it's because you want to feel superior or something, but it really reflects poorly on you.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:11 AM

Where can i keep an eye on what is happening at wwdc? Its already monday here and i want to know whats going on when i wake up on tuesday

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by frates:
It's ok, but we'll see that sidebar on windows in two years. The dashboard thing, if real, will be in the very next release of mac os. You can't just compare it.
True to an extent, but MS' Sidebar is out in all developer releases of Longhorn. I'm using it just now and it's really that good. One thing I have noticed about Apple's Longhorn pot-shots, is that they seem to be saying that Tiger wil be the Mac OS available when Longhorn is released. Kinda makes sense when one looks at how Apple have said they will slow down OS X development after Tiger. So, given that Tiger wil probably be out late this year, or early next, plus 10.5 wil be a year after that, so that's basically Longhorn's release date.

MS' Sidebar is well known just now, it's features, functionality, and what it promises. If Apple are releasing something akin to Konfabulator, then I'm not teribly impressed, but we'll see.

vertex
Jun 28, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by storer:
Where can i keep an eye on what is happening at wwdc? Its already monday here and i want to know whats going on when i wake up on tuesday
I think Macminute wil be having live updates.

http://www.macminute.com/

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 04:17 PM

Want to see something even more funny?

"Cupertino, Start Your Photocopiers"

http://www.konfabulator.com/

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by macupdate:
Want to see something even more funny?

"Cupertino, Start Your Photocopiers"

http://www.konfabulator.com/
I agree now that its all over and done with.

-Owl

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 04:28 PM

What major feature will Tiger have that Longhorn won't? Thus, in what sense would Microsoft be 'copying' Tiger, if the major new features announced today were announced for Longhorn months ago? I don't have any issues with taking potshots at Microsoft, but I didn't see anything in Tiger that would lend Apple the credibility to do so... it looked to me like Apple is actually playing catch-up. That said, I also don't think it's an effective tactic anymore.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
What major feature will Tiger have that Longhorn won't? Thus, in what sense would Microsoft be 'copying' Tiger, if the major new features announced today were announced for Longhorn months ago? I don't have any issues with taking potshots at Microsoft, but I didn't see anything in Tiger that would lend Apple the credibility to do so... it looked to me like Apple is actually playing catch-up. That said, I also don't think it's an effective tactic anymore.
though some of the features are certainly inspired by those expected to be in longhorn, apple will probably ship them first. Then, microsoft will have seemingly copied tiger in 200X whenever longhorn ships. Perhaps this is their tactic.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
I wonder if Apple expects M$ to use Xerox photocopiers ...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 05:44 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules