Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chicken Litte. - The Best Disney can do Without Pixar?

Chicken Litte. - The Best Disney can do Without Pixar?
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 07:52 PM

gohoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 08:22 PM

Sealobo
Jul 3, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by gohoward:
meh
i was gonna quote your smartass timeline pix on your own sig image. but well...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2004, 08:26 PM

gohoward.

WOOT!

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 08:34 PM

It appears that Disney is emulating Dreamworks, not Pixar, with its upcoming big budget animated features. All of them are self parodies of fariy tales (with the exception of the rumored scene for scene 3D Pinnocchio remake).

Ron Clements and John Musker, who as far as I'm concerned are the most talented people in the animation industry today, complained that Disney wouldn't allow the Rapunzel self parody they're working on to be made in 2D, despite their attempts to point out to Disney executives that people associate classic fairy tales with 2D Disney animated features.

But don't lose hope yet. Michael Eisner is on the way out. With him gone, it's likely that Walt Disney Feature Animation will return to its former glory.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 09:50 PM

Hmm, I did a search for Chicken Little on the forums, I saw no topic that looked like it refered to Disney, Pixar, or Shitty Computer Animation.

wtf?

-Owl

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 09:54 PM

pardon me while I gag - disney has made no good films w/o pixar in 10+ years

retch

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

gohoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Hmm, I did a search for Chicken Little on the forums, I saw no topic that looked like it refered to Disney, Pixar, or Shitty Computer Animation.
gohoward saw that trailer on his Brother Bear DVD, released on March 30.

ambush
Banned
Jul 3, 2004, 10:03 PM

Selling all Disney stocks

in before gomanwhore derail

gohoward
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
in before gomanwhore derail

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
But don't lose hope yet. Michael Eisner is on the way out. With him gone, it's likely that Walt Disney Feature Animation will return to its former glory.
It would be nice if it's true but it isn't

He is not on his way out anytime soon. If you think he is, you are underestimating his power. Current BODs there are a joke and will do whatever Eisner tell them to do as long as he gives them ton of money.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
It would be nice if it's true but it isn't

He is not on his way out anytime soon. If you think he is, you are underestimating his power. Current BODs there are a joke and will do whatever Eisner tell them to do as long as he gives them ton of money.
It won't be the board of directors that gets rid of Eisner, as its actions at the last shareholder meeting proved, but rather Roy E. Disney nominating a new board of directors at the next meeting as he has promised to do if the current board doesn't shape up.

While Disney's current board of directors likes Michael Eisner, Disney's shareholders hate him. 43% of them voted against him at the last shareholder meeting and when they're given an alternative at the next meeting, you can bet the number will be far higher.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2004, 11:47 PM

This looks really bad. The animation looks like something that belongs on TV rather than a movie theater. I imagine Cars, or whatever Pixar has next will slaughter this thing. I hope it does awful.

By the way anyone see that Shark Tale movie preview? I hope that thing bombs in dreamworks face.

Powered by HP BAH!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
It won't be the board of directors that gets rid of Eisner, as its actions at the last shareholder meeting proved, but rather Roy E. Disney nominating a new board of directors at the next meeting as he has promised to do if the current board doesn't shape up.

While Disney's current board of directors likes Michael Eisner, Disney's shareholders hate him. 43% of them voted against him at the last shareholder meeting and when they're given an alternative at the next meeting, you can bet the number will be far higher.
You have a good point. Replacing those BODs could be the only key to impeachment of Eisner.

I really really miss the old Disney, damnit. This new animation tried too hard to be funny..

"chicken little. movie big. summer 2005"

Not even cute or funny

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2004, 01:38 AM

"Chicken Little, how are you able to talk to us after getting digested by a fox?"

"Uh... look, over there!"

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 02:12 AM

That was god awful. From seeing the trailer, I felt as if the chicken little character was trying desperately to figure out the purpose of such an abomination. Though to me, the plots of todays box office movies are no longer important, but trivial. It's a load of marketed bs, straight from the focus groups.

namannik
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 02:52 PM

Anyone else notice that the stereo channels are backwards in that trailer?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2004, 02:56 PM

looks pretty dumb to me.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2004, 03:12 PM

it looks direct to video quality to me.

the animation seriously isnt that impressive to me (albeit i have an untrained eye other than being a fan of pixar films)

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 09:03 PM

I'm sure the animation in the movie will look more technically impressive than what was in the teaser trailer. It's still a year from release, after all.

Really, the problem is that Micheal Eisner is a micromanager. Ever since Frank Wells died, too many talented managers have left Disney out of frustration and too many others have been fired essentially for disagreeing with Michael Eisner. The people who replaced them are yes men giving Eisner free reign over the company.

Which means that Disney employees have awfully low morale.

Mark Dindal is a talented director. What's left of Walt Disney Feature Animation is still some of the most talented people in the animation industry. But when these people are forced to work on a project they don't have faith in, the final result is lousy.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2004, 09:38 PM

I miss Frank Wells. I met him several times while I worked at Disney World and he was a great guy, very likable and well respected.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 12:39 AM

Anyone else see Chicken Latte?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:

By the way anyone see that Shark Tale movie preview? I hope that thing bombs in dreamworks face.