Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there a market for a "popcorn holder" in today's society?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see some sort of "popcorn holder" in a movie theater?
Poll Options:
Yes. 5 votes (35.71%)
No. 5 votes (35.71%)
Maybe. 4 votes (28.57%)
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll
Is there a market for a "popcorn holder" in today's society?
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 01:10 AM

One thing I've noticed more and more at the movie theaters is that people hate holding the popcorn bag/cup, especially when with a group of friends. Why? It's a big responsibility. You get stuck passing it along, only to get it back, placing it under your seat, getting it again, missing half the movie, kicking it over, etc. etc....I mean really, who likes holding the popcorn bag/cup? So, much like the magical "cup holder" invention, why not a popcorn holder?

There could be multiple ways to introduce such a device...a clip to the existing cup holder, a ring/hoop that could spring up and down from the chair in front of you, etc. etc....but, is there a market for this?

Sage
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 01:16 AM

Keep in mind that it would be most likely a retrofitting sort of deal – you’d have to make something that could mount on a variety of chair backs (if that happens to be what you decide). I would think that would be the most difficult part. Cup holders are built-in, so that’s much easier from an engineering standpoint.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 01:20 AM

Yeah, a simple "clip" would do the trick. It could hold the various popcorn "cups" and popcorn "bags" out there as well. Would be cheap to manufacture.

feedingtheignorant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 01:39 AM

I don't think it's a good idea. I like to hold it when I eat... Plus it will take up necessary arm rest realistate.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 23, 2008, 01:49 AM

If the movie theater would just offer extra "personal size" cups with the MegaHugeExtraLargeButtergasm Bucket.. Wouldn't everyone be happy?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 02:10 AM

conveyer belt

Cipher13
Jan 23, 2008, 02:22 AM

They should just dispense it straight from tubes in the ceiling into fat people's mouths.

Actually, scrap the corn portion, just send salted, liquified butter mixed with coke syrup.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 02:25 AM

trust me! working as an usher for a movie theater, you do NOT want to mix coke and the liquid butter. smells to all hell, and it stays on you

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 02:43 AM

I was picturing a Mexican standing there and handing it to you whenever you motioned to him. That might be cheaper.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 09:49 AM

I think just an "adapter" that you click into the cup holder
we don't have time to stop for gas

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 09:52 AM

I agree Rickey. Often times I just gently wedge it inbetween the back and upright ass pillow of the empty seat next to me.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 10:42 AM

Which one, the left or the right?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
They should just dispense it straight from tubes in the ceiling into fat people's mouths.

Actually, scrap the corn portion, just send salted, liquified butter mixed with coke syrup.
We can scrap the corn as long as the coke syrup has the FDA recommended amount of High Fructose Corn Syrup so people can continue to get their regular amount of genetically modified cornfoodstuff.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2008, 12:15 PM

I set the popcorn on the head of the guy sitting in front of me if he's short enough.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2008, 12:22 PM

Popcorn hat is the way to go.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 09:40 AM

I cannot wait to see this device on the next "American Inventor"....haha!

BTW, post #5,000.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 09:41 AM

I hope the oxi clean guy peddles it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Yeah, a simple "clip" would do the trick. It could hold the various popcorn "cups" and popcorn "bags" out there as well. Would be cheap to manufacture.

The problem with a "simple" clip is that it would last only days, not years. It will simply break and be of no use.

Also, if it's attached to the back of the seat in front, it will be sooner or later torn down by someone's feet or coat when walking by.

Not to speak about people wanting to go to the bathroom, not seeing the extended clip, and tearing it down mid-movie.

I don't see how this can be done in a good way

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 02:32 PM

I'd rather see a ramen holder.

P.S. There is a movie theatre in Toronto which has tables beside the seats. Unfortunately, they charge more for the admission tickets than for regular movies.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2008, 07:39 PM

Experience Gold Class, a cinema that's in a class of its own and a world apart from the rest - an intimate setting that seats no more than 30-40 people.

Whilst you relax in this first class cinema setting, try our new taste menu offering a wide variety of dishes such as canapés and cocktails, dips and desserts, platters and pizza, wraps and wedges and a bar menu to satisfy all tastes.

There's waiter service too. You can arrange to have your order delivered to your seat at a time specified by you or relax in the lounge setting of the Gold Class Bar.

Be sure to arrive in plenty of time prior to your film’s commencement to enjoy our delicious menu. Click here for a sample menu. In short, Gold Class is simply about spoiling you.
Greater Union Birch Carroll & Coyle | Gold Class

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2008, 07:45 PM

The annoying part isn't holding the bag. It's having to pass it to other people.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 09:46 PM

A popcorn holder is a great idea, maybe behind the soda holder.
But I think a charcoal grill at every seat would be an even better idea, because that's a really hard thing to sneak in.
And heh, everyone loves a barbecue.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
The annoying part isn't holding the bag. It's having to pass it to other people.
...and/or having to pay for the popcorn these days. Major drag.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2008, 11:59 PM

The best was in Taiwan.

For the price of a movie ticket you got a private room with a couch, your own TV screen playing the movie, full bar service, and a food menu... including ramen.

You could order noodles and some nice side dishes, along with a beer and cocktails, and you didn't have to listen to the ass beside you answering his phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules