Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SMB Woes: Windows Server 2003 / Tiger v10.4.11 Clients

SMB Woes: Windows Server 2003 / Tiger v10.4.11 Clients
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2008, 09:51 AM

My company recently moved from OS v10.3.9 to OS X v10.4.11. Everything went extremely smooth; however, we are finding that our users are getting locked out within Active Directory when trying to access some SMB shares on Windows 2003 Servers.

Our clients are not bound to AD at all, they simply "Connect to Server" from the finder, navigate to the shared folder they need (ex. smb://fileserver1.domain.com/shared_drive), hit Connect, and enter in their AD username and password.

Never an issue with v10.3.9; however, in v10.4.11, users are all of a sudden being presented with unknown password errors. After 3 bad attempts, they get locked out of AD and need to be unlocked. Immediately upon being unlocked they are good to go again, until "it" happens. I need to know what "it" is to fix this issue.

Nothing has changed on the MS 2003 Server boxes since the OS X update, so for once, I'm hesitant to blame that and look more on the OS X side.

Any ideas?

ibook_steve
Mar 13, 2008, 10:55 AM

I've found, at least at work where everybody is using PCs (except me), that I need to enter my username as

<Windows Domain>\<username>

instead of just my username when connecting to our Windows servers with SMB. I have no idea if that might be the solution, but it's something to try.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2008, 02:32 PM

Yeah, we tried that, same story.

Thanks though!

Forum Links
Forum Rules