Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Replacment Mac Keyboard

Replacment Mac Keyboard
cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2009, 09:58 PM

I have a MacPro and have never liked the keyboard. I feel that I have to push the keys too far to get them to register. I'd love to replace it with another Mac-friendly keyboard. My requirements are that it must have Mac keys (e.g. command, volume, eject, etc.) and it should be easy to type on. Ideally it'd have a couple USB2 ports on it but that's a bonus...

Keep the price reasonable (e.g. < $150). Waddya suggest?

ibook_steve
Apr 20, 2009, 12:49 AM

Go to http://www.dealmac.com and search for keyboard. I'm sure you'll find many Mac keyboards for way under $150.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2009, 02:37 AM

I'm surprised. I would have thought the new chiclet KB requires about as little distance as possible.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2009, 04:16 AM

Which one is yours?, the old all-white plastic model or the newest aluminum enclosure?, I have to agree with Simon, the newest are easier to type on.

Besides that, the new Logitech diNovo Keyboard Mac Edition is supposed to be rather good.

The diNovo Edge Mac Edition has won several awards, if you don't mind lacking the num pad, but it is also way more expensive.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2009, 10:49 AM

In my experience, any keyboard you plug into a mac can support all the functions of an official Mac keyboard.

Every Logitech USB keyboard on the market today comes with Mac software and has full Mac support.

If it's that critical that you have a white keyboard or one with Mac icons on the keys, NewEgg has a white one for $22: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823204008
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2009, 02:02 PM

Every Logitech USB keyboard on the market today comes with Mac software and has full Mac support.
I wished Logitech (Mac) support was that good. When I was looking for a new keyboard to replace the old Apple Keyboard that came with the Mac Pro I was hoping for a Logitech diNovo Edge but it doesn't sell over here -Spain-, so after a while the 'plain' diNovo came out, it got mixed reviews but I am sceptic about trusting reviews from the media, I prefer to read what 'real' users have to say about it. So after visiting the Logitech boards it was clear the keyboard was well built and looked good, but the software sort of lacked, as instance there was no way to operate the second optical drive on a given Mac tower, - I guess an updated driver would solve that- and I happen to have two Mac towers which came with two optical drives, a MDD G4 and the aforementioned Mac Pro. A Pity.

For some weird reason, controllers maybe?, I have had issues with the three Logitech mice I have, (V450 Nano cordless, MX 620 white that comes with the Mac Desktop S530 set, MX Revolution), the damn expensive MX Revolution drives me nuts, it is prone to act weird, you usually get a double-clic even when you just clic once, and the mouse pointer is more unstable than any rummy has a right to be… I wonder if the MX Revolution is that dumb under Windows…

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm surprised. I would have thought the new chiclet KB requires about as little distance as possible.
Sorry, forgot to mention I have the 1G MacPro released August 2006. How do those chicklet Mac keyboards feel? Any good or are they more form over function?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2009, 03:22 PM

Well they certainly don't have a whole lot of distance if that's what you're looking for.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2009, 03:48 PM

My Mac Pro is also a 2006 model so we had the same keyboard. The new keyboard is a huge step forward, even when you may consider another maker's keyboard, Apple's is so affordable I would get it as my first choice.

You may need to give it two or three days to get used to its 'laptop feel', but after that, you will find your fingers flying over the keyboard.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Go to http://www.dealmac.com and search for keyboard. I'm sure you'll find many Mac keyboards for way under $150.

Steve
That wasn't very helpful...I'm fully capable of using search engines to find a replacement keyboard, but I was hoping for MacNN users to recommend something, not suggest I go look elsewhere.

OreoCookie
May 2, 2009, 04:33 PM

Have a look at the Tactile Pro. It places third on my patented eternal favorite keyboards list (1. IBM M-type keybaord, 2. NeXT-keyboard). It's not cheap, but worth it -- if you don't mind the noise.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
May 2, 2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Have a look at the Tactile Pro. It places third on my patented eternal favorite keyboards list (1. IBM M-type keybaord, 2. NeXT-keyboard). It's not cheap, but worth it -- if you don't mind the noise.
That one's tempting, but I've seen more and more great keyboards (according to reviewers) that use notebook-style scissor keys...keyboards like the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, the Logitech Dinovo, Macally's IceKey, Apple's Aluminum keyboard, and Kensington's Slimtype. They all have some quirks (e.g. two USB plugs from keyboard to computer, can't power some thumb drives (WTF?), have no USB ports, are ugly, etc.) I'm really leaning towards the (old) Macally IceKey since it looks nice and has had great reviews.
( Last edited by cgc; May 2, 2009 at 07:14 PM. )

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2009, 02:18 PM

Well, just received my aluminum Apple Keyboard and it kicks butt. Nice and quiet, small, and most importantly, I don't have to exert any force to get the keys to respond. I'll try it later with Counterstrike:Source and see how it does gaming...

I swear the "M" key is an upside-down "W". Maybe because the imprinted letters on the keys aren't italicized like on my old keyboard...kooky though.
( Last edited by cgc; May 8, 2009 at 06:18 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules