Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bigger Hard Drive for my Powerbook G4 400?

Bigger Hard Drive for my Powerbook G4 400?
Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 05:49 PM

Search is broken, so I'll ask: I'd like to put in a bigger hard drive on my TiBook 400. Right now it's only 10 gig, and I was wondering about a few things:

How big can I go in a Ti400?
What brand is the best?
How easy is it to install?

I don't know what I'll do with the old one. Maybe make it into an External FireWire. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks,
Oz

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Search is broken, so I'll ask: I'd like to put in a bigger hard drive on my TiBook 400. Right now it's only 10 gig, and I was wondering about a few things:

How big can I go in a Ti400?
What brand is the best?
How easy is it to install?

I don't know what I'll do with the old one. Maybe make it into an External FireWire. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks,
Oz
At the moment, the largest hard drive you can install in a Powerbook G4 (or any laptop, for that matter) is a 60 gb. IBM and Toshiba each make their own version of the 60 gb drive.

IBM calls the model the 60 GH. It runs at 5400 rpm and has a height of 12.5 mm... i've seen it installed in my friend's Powerbook G4 500, and that sucker fills the whole height of the titanium case.

Toshiba's model is the same one being used in the high end Powerbook 1ghz right now. It runs at 4200 rpm and is only 9.5 mm high.

I said at the moment because IBM is oon introducing an 80gb hard drive soon called the travelstar 80 gn. If you want serious capacity, investigate that.

Replacing a hard drive in a 400 TiBook is reasonably difficult... you'll need to open the case of your computer, and you'll need special torx screws, but it is certainly user servicable.

Hope this helps you.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 10:28 PM

Buying the drive isn't the problem. Most recent drives offer very similar performance, but installing it on a TiBook is a different story. Aforementioned is the fact that getting in and out of a TiBook is notably harder than getting in and out of a Pismo. Good luck.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 10:31 PM

All PC notebook drives are compatible so long as they're not taller than 12.5 millimeters.

IBM is coming out with a 7,200 RPM notebook drive with 80 gigabytes of capacity.

Ozmodiar  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 11:59 PM

thanks for your help. ::pulls out christmas list...::

spacedog
Nov 18, 2002, 11:26 AM

i swapped out my original 10gb with an ibm 30gb within a few weeks of getting my ti400. it isn't a difficult procedure, really - you just have to take your time and be patient. avoid forcing the bottom cover back into position and bending/tweaking it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules