Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Strange Finder Window Behavior

Strange Finder Window Behavior
rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 07:47 PM

In Panther, whenever I quit/relaunch the Finder (this includes actions like logging out and restarting), my main Finder window gets reset to default settings.

So when I hit command-n, set the window size and view to my liking, and close it, it sticks... until I logout, restart, or force quit the Finder. Then it goes back to an oddly shaped window in icon view, not my perfectly shaped window in column view.

Anyone else having this problem? Better yet, anyone have a fix?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 10:23 AM

I have that problem... oh well... it sucks... but, Panther's new "improved???" Sucks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 10:50 AM

You've got you're view settings set under finder? command-j and or Finder prefs? If so and you're still getting the problem try deleting your Finder prefs.
click one

rhythmicmoose  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
You've got you're view settings set under finder? command-j and or Finder prefs? If so and you're still getting the problem try deleting your Finder prefs.
Already tried that. No cigar.

I'm thinking it could be because I've selected the HD level as the "New Finder windows open:" and there is some privileges issue. Could that be? Don't the DS_store's hold view settings? Maybe mine is messed up so that I can't permanently change it? I'll fiddle more with it later and see if I can find a fix.

rhythmicmoose  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 10:18 PM

Erased the / level .DS_Store. No dice.

My guess is permissions. I'll repair those this weekend, or maybe tomorrow... Whenever I find time.

rhythmicmoose  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2003, 06:34 PM

Been a while but I thought I'd post anyway.

Repair permissions seems to have fixed the issue. Huzzah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules