Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Europe shuns those America accepts

Europe shuns those America accepts
Cold Warrior
Oct 24, 2007, 10:38 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/bu...s/24immig.html

No surprise here. European officials scheming to keep out the world's poor while skimming the cream of the crop, leaving those countries even more destitute.

This is so two-faced. Western Europeans love to act morally superior (when having moral certainty suits them!), but they devise policies to take those who have already achieved -- not those struggling to -- and inject them into a society where the indigenous European whites can take advantage of lower labor costs for normally higher professional services.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 10:41 AM

You're assuming that the European officials actually represent the beliefs and values of the European citizens. Their politics are no more or less corrupt than our own, and the results are about the same.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 24, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
You're assuming that the European officials actually represent the beliefs and values of the European citizens. Their politics are no more or less corrupt than our own, and the results are about the same.
I wish some people in here would differentiate Americans with Politicians as well. But that goes on all the time.

But shame on whoever made this decision.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 24, 2007, 11:11 AM

Europe's politicians just reflect the values of many "progressive" and "enlightened" Western Europeans, who tend to be anti-Arab, anti-Turk (read: racist).

Why else would Turkey's slow path to the EU be scuttled? It's because they're Turks, not because they can't address the governmental and economic transformations they'd first need before "ascension." Read: they're non-white Europeans, and the EU is largely for white European nations.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
the EU is largely for white European nations.
Have you been to Spain, Portugal, or Italy? There are plenty of non-white Europeans in those countries. In fact, most residents of Spain or Portugal will be darker than those of Turkey. So, either you are mis-informed or lying.

Now, if you were to say that the EU was hesitant to invite participation from Turkey because of a fear of a predominantly Muslim country joining the EU, that would probably be a legitimate statement. But as it stands now, the statement you made above was made out of ignorance or
dishonesty.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 24, 2007, 02:30 PM

I wish I were wrong. Spaniards, Portuguese, and Italians are historically white enough. They do have lots of non-whites, but Western Europe has grown up with them and their minority status is non-threatening to the white Euro establishment. What the governments and people don't want to accept, however, are more non-whites like Turks and Arabs. They don't want more and really dislike the ones that are there.

The veneer of "tolerance" and acceptance may be preached in the halls of academia, but in reality, real EU citizens don't like non-whites.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Now, if you were to say that the EU was hesitant to invite participation from Turkey because of a fear of a predominantly Muslim country joining the EU, that would probably be a legitimate statement.
Half the countries in the EU will be predominantly Muslim by 2015.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 02:45 PM

The veneer of "tolerance" and acceptance may be preached in the halls of academia, but in reality, real EU citizens don't like non-whites.
Ok, this is just a ridiculous statement. Certainly it's true that some EU citizens don't like non-whites. But what is a 'real' EU citizen? One that fits into your narrow stereotype? I know plenty of EU citizens, both white and non-white, and I've seen no evidence that they're any more racist than anyone else.

Of my friends in the UK, it's probably 50/50 white/Muslim (and by Muslim I also mean Asian—in the British sense). While certainly there is some friction between the Muslim and non-Muslim communities in the UK, in general they seem to get along just fine.

Hell, when I was in China I hung out with a large group of foreign-born Chinese. They all had either American or EU citizenship and grew up in either America or Europe. I don't know how much you know about China or the Chinese, but, to say the least, Chinese people don't tend to be too fond of Japanese people. Among my friends there it was dramatically evident in the way they interacted with the few Japanese students who where also there (they almost started a brawl in the middle of a restaurant at one point over a Japanese guy hanging out with one of the Chinese girls). The European Chinese students were vastly more accepting of the Japanese students than the American Chinese were. The things I heard the Americans saying were, frankly, disgusting.

Note that I'm not saying that all Americans are racist or even that Americans in general are more racist than Europeans. Just that I see no evidence that Europeans in general are more racist than American and that my anecdotal experiences would actually tend to imply the opposite (though it has no scientific value).

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
You got any more funny jokes?!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
You got any more funny jokes?!
Yeah, but they all start with "Yo momma ...".
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 08:01 PM

Yeah, but they all start with "Yo momma ...".
Oh, snap!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:41 PM

I wish I were wrong. Spaniards, Portuguese, and Italians are historically white enough. They do have lots of non-whites, but Western Europe has grown up with them and their minority status is non-threatening to the white Euro establishment. What the governments and people don't want to accept, however, are more non-whites like Turks and Arabs. They don't want more and really dislike the ones that are there.

I don't know whether to feel sorry for your ignorance, or angry at your hate-filled rants. A bit of both is appropriate, I guess.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 24, 2007, 09:51 PM

It's not hate, but hope, that motivates my posts. Western European hypocrisy thrives in the darkness, where its citizens and corrupt governments lash out at America because looking in the mirror would freeze their whithering souls.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 09:56 PM

No surprise here. European officials scheming to keep out the world's poor while skimming the cream of the crop, leaving those countries even more destitute.
Despite your valiant attempts at spin, I really can't see anything wrong with this. It seems like good, sound policy.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 03:04 AM

Western European hypocrisy thrives in the darkness, where its citizens and corrupt governments lash out at America because looking in the mirror would freeze their whithering souls.
These kinds of hate-filled screeds add nothing.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 05:55 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/24/bu...s/24immig.html

This is so two-faced. Western Europeans love to act morally superior (when having moral certainty suits them!), but they devise policies to take those who have already achieved -- not those struggling to -- and inject them into a society where the indigenous European whites can take advantage of lower labor costs for normally higher professional services.
You obviously never had to deal with the USCIS.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Oct 26, 2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
You obviously never had to deal with the USCIS.
Indeed I have dealt with them! They suck real bad, and are a great example of government bureaucracy crushing the little guy, taking his money, and screwing him and his family, with absolutely no true recourse.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 12:18 PM

Bitch, you should change your medication.
I bet "yo momma" was one of those who warned us about that millions of commernists animals waiting to break through at the eastern borders of Yurrup...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 01:25 PM

Indeed I have dealt with them! They suck real bad, and are a great example of government bureaucracy crushing the little guy, taking his money, and screwing him and his family, with absolutely no true recourse.
In that case the title of your thread does not make too much sense.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Bitch, you should change your medication.
I bet "yo momma" was one of those who warned us about that millions of commernists animals waiting to break through at the eastern borders of Yurrup...

PB.
WTF is wrong with you? Get your head caught in a kraut shredder?
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules