Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > AppleCare? AppleDoesn'tCare!

AppleCare? AppleDoesn'tCare!
dmenjivar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 10:27 PM

I bought my first Mac last July, and since then, while I love the operating system and software, I have had a much less pleasing experience with the hardware. My experience with AppleCare has shown me that it should be called AppleDoesn�tCare. Here�s my story:

History
I had always used windows PCs and was more �advanced� than the average user. In fact, I was proficient enough with PCs that I landed a job with a large car rental company in Canada where I helped them introduce new technology, provided software training and support and even went as far as building database software to integrate (and automate) reservation and distribution systems. I was there �go-to� guy on all IT related issues, so needless to say, I was pretty efficient on a PC and knew the OS inside out. As my role expanded, I was traveling more and more, and ended up needing a laptop. I did lots of research, and since I basically had unlimited funds, (corporate account), I bought a (top of the line) Fujitsu laptop, which I was more than happy with. I still remember that laptop, it was great and the store I bought it from was very pleasant to deal with. Actually, I did have a problem with the wifi once, but when I called the Fujitsu support number, I was helped right away and I remember the CSR I dealt with was incredibly good. So that minor issue was quickly forgotten about, obviously, because of how it was dealt with.

The Switch
So, later I left that job to pursue my music career and had to return their laptop. It was sad parting with it. (And the money, haha) I decided to go back to school and pursue a degree in music. I was leaving home and our 5 computers (actually, they were my brother�s - he owns a internet solutions/hosting company) so that meant I would have to buy myself a computer. I hate being tied down to a desk, so I knew I would be looking for a laptop. I wanted something that I could do all my assignments on etc, and also something I could use to record music with. I had been doing a lot of that on PCs so I knew that it would require a lot of processing power, etc. That�s when a friend of mine who is a very successful recording engineer introduced me to the idea of getting a Mac. He too was an advanced PC user, and had just recently purchased his first Mac (a G4 PowerBook) which he was in love with. He assured me it would be a good buy and encouraged me to research it obsessively. At first I hesitated to accept the idea of even looking at Macs as an option because I heard that software was limited and I didn�t want to be stuck with something I couldn�t use. But he is a good friend, so I at least wanted to do enough research to tell him why NOT.

I searched all over the net researching both software and hardware, went to several Mac stores, etc and increasingly became more and more impressed with what I saw. Not only that, but everyone really stressed that �they just work�. But even more important was that everyone stood behind Apple as a company and professed how much Apple cares about its customers and how great their support and warranty is, etc, etc. Before long, I ended up purchasing a 1.5Ghz G4 Powerbook, with all the options, except RAM (128MB ATI video, 5200RPM drive, etc). I was advised to buy RAM elsewhere because Apple�s markup on RAM is ridiculous. (I still need to buy more RAM though, maybe when I�m done writing this, I�ll go�) I was all set to pursue my music career and moved away from Calgary to Toronto for school, with my new laptop.

The Saga Begins
A couple months later, (4 months actually), I started getting a problem with my screen flickering all the time. When I would open my laptop, I would sometimes get these black bars across the screen, and I would have to lightly tap the back of the screen to make it refresh the screen and go away. I was sure it was a screen issue, or a hinge issue, not a video card issue. And I expected a lot more than 4 months before any problems on a $4000CDN purchase. It was way more than I was looking to spend, but I was sure that it would be worth it. They just work, no? So, I called my friend first to tell him about it. He told me not to worry, that he has had screen issues too, and that Apple (and AppleCare) is very good to deal with. He told me that after his 3rd time getting his screen replaced, Apple felt so bad they sent him a coupon for a free iPod to try to make amends. So while I was a little concerned with the fact that he had to get his screen replaced 3 times, I was sure Apple would live up to their reputation and fix the problem for me without any major problems.

So I called AppleCare, and after holding for about 45 minutes, I finally talked to a female CSR who told me that we would have to run a hardware test to try to diagnose the problem. I told her that I had already run it, and that everything checked out okay � I told her it was a screen/hinge problem. She was sure it was a video card issue, which made no sense to me, but I agreed to run the hardware test again (over the phone) and proceeded with her instructions. After rebooting and running the test, which took about 30 minutes, she told me that it was a problem with the screen, not the video card. (Isn�t that what I said?) She told me I would have to take my laptop in to a store to get the screen replaced and gave me a case number. I asked her where I could take it, and she told me to check the website. I asked if she could recommend any stores, and she told me to contact �Access Computers� in Toronto.

Access Computers
I called Access to see about bringing in my computer and explained the problem to them. I also told them that this was my only computer and that I could not part for it for very long as I depend on it for everything I do. They told me that they would still have to run their own diagnostic check to make sure it was the screen and not the video card, and make sure that the screen could not be fixed, even though AppleCare had already told me that I would need the screen to be replaced. But then, in light of what I told them about not parting with my laptop for very long, they offered to take the laptop for only an afternoon to run the diagnostic check. Then, they said they would give it back to me while they ordered the part and that I could bring it back when the part came in, and replacing it (if that�s what was needed) would take only an afternoon. This is the kind of service I was looking for, so I made arrangements to get my laptop to them and scheduled a time with them.

Before I left, I cleaned my laptop thoroughly � I think its rude to take in a laptop with fingerprints on it for service, (like going to the doctor without having a shower) maybe its just me� Well, when I was looking for the store, it was hard to find. Why? They are not a store at all, it was an office on the 5th floor of a low-rise building. When I entered, I saw they had posters of Windows XP everywhere, and ALL of their computers in the office were Windows PCs. Not a single mac in sight. Had it not been for their attention to my concerns and the kind of service I was getting, I would have hesitated to leave it there. They gave me a claim check for it and told me to return after 4pm. Then, about 2 hours later I got a phone call from their service guy, the same one I was talking to before. He told me that the screens were very complex and that it would not be possible to take it all apart and re-assemble it to give it back to me by 4pm. On top of that, he added, they were not willing to take the screen apart and put it all back only to have to take it apart again to replace the part. (I told him AppleCare said the entire screen needed to be replaced, but he insisted they would have to take it all apart). He told me that he had not opened it yet, cause he thought to check with me first and make sure I was willing to leave it there for 2 weeks. 2 weeks!!?? I told him that I could not part with it for that long, so we agreed that I would pick it up at 4pm, as planned, he would not touch it, and we could make arrangements later on when my schedule would allow me to leave it for that long. It seemed like maybe they had never worked on Macs before, and I thought maybe I should take it somewhere else, a store maybe, where they actually work with Macs on a daily basis, yeah? But because of there willingness to help, at least initially, I thought I would just check other places out, and still keep them in mind.

At 5PM, I arrived to pick up my laptop. It had no tag on it, and it was full of fingerprints so I wanted to make sure it was indeed mine. When I opened it, I was disgusted to see that it was mine, full of fingerprints everywhere, and bread crumbs and who knows what else, but it was sticky. The screen looked like some little kid had his way with it. I thought if anything, it would come back cleaner, not a mess. I was pissed in a big way. There was no way I was going to bring it back there, but I wasn�t about to take it out on the receptionist (she was the only one there by then), I know it wasn�t her fault. So I thought I�d call AppleCare and tell them about it � no one should have to deal with a company like that. It wasn�t just fingerprints, it was very dirty, it was a MESS.

Well, I never did call AppleCare, because I wasn�t looking forward to being on hold for 45 minutes again before even talking to anyone, and quite frankly, I don�t have that kind of time. Plus, I found a Mac store in Toronto that was everything I was hoping for, so I tried to forget and looked forward to getting my screen replaced and done with.

North Star Computers � Part One
So I found this place that was an actual store, specializing in Mac products. North Star Computers on Elm Street in Toronto. I told them about my experience with Access and they were determined to make it right for me, and restore my faith in Apple. They told me that I would still need to bring it in for a diagnostic check though, but that it would not take more than half-an-hour. Then, they would order the part and call me when they received it, and that installation would take only � a day. I took it in to North Star, and sure enough, they gave it back to me within the � hour. They said it would probably be about 2 days, but that they would call me when they received the new screen. The next day, they called me and left me a voicemail saying that they had Apple express ship it in to them and that they were ready to replace it whenever I was. They said, if I brought it in in the morning, they would return it that same afternoon, or if I brought in in the afternoon, they would return it to me the following morning. Well, truth is I was expecting it to take a little longer than that to get the new screen in, so I wasn�t ready just then. But the screen was getting worse and worse so it was definitely a priority for me. About a week later, on a Monday, I sent them an email stating my intention to take it in on Thursday of that week. I wanted to make sure that they weren�t very busy, and that the � day turnaround would still be possible, (even though they said to bring it in �whenever�.) They never called back or emailed back to confirm, but I took it in on Thursday morning anyways. I told them I was leaving for Calgary (for the holidays) that Saturday, so it would need to be done right away. They said they would have it done that afternoon, and that they would call if there was a problem.

Later in the afternoon, I received a voicemail from them to please call. So I thought there might be a problem, and called right away. Allan, the guy I was dealing with had gone home, so I explained to this new person that I wanted to see if my laptop was fixed, and ready to be picked up that evening. He put me on hold and went to check, when he came back, he said my laptop was ready to be picked up, the screen has been replaced no problems and I could pick it up anytime. Needless to say, I was ecstatic!

I went to pick up my laptop that evening and they had a service invoice on it secured by an elastic band. I put it in my bag, signed their paperwork, and left on the subway back home. When I got home an hour later, I took it out of the bag, and opened it to check my email and play catch up. I was astonished. The screen was definitely new, it looked great�� BUT�. The keys were even worse than how Access had given it to me. They were not only dirty, but had strawberry jam UNDER the keys. I knew there was no way I was going to get that out and that I would have to have them clean it professionally, but it would have to be when I got back from Calgary. I tried to clean it up as best I could, it took me about � hour, it was ridiculous. Finally, I powered it up, and this is THE BIG SHOCKER� No wonder it was so dirty � it WASN�T MY LAPTOP! I had Don Pullen�s laptop, whoever that is. But my biggest fear was that maybe he had mine! I never thought to check it at the store because they had a service invoice with my name on it. It was clearly labeled. So I got on the phone and called North Star. Obviously, they were shocked too, and wanted me to return the laptop right away. What if Don Pullen were to show up? What would they tell him? �Your laptop is on its way�? Well, I thought I�d ask him if my laptop was there � he told me that it was there, (he powered it up) and that the screen had been replaced, no problem. I took the 1 hour subway ride back to the store to pick up my laptop (and take back Don Pullen�s) and when I got there, found that my laptop screen had not been replaced. They had 2 laptops there with my name on it. Mine and Don�s. Both labeled clearly with my name on it, it was unquestionable. I think they must have put my screen on the wrong guy�s computer. All that time wasted for nothing. Either way, I wasn�t going back � I don�t think I expect too much, just a �decent� level of service. And this time, I was determined to call AppleCare and tell them what was going on.

Apple Customer Relations
While I was in Calgary, I saw my friend and told him about my problem. He was shocked at how calm I was while telling him. He still thinks I should be furious. Maybe anger is just not my thing though? He told me that his laptop was in the store right now, getting the screen replaced for the 5th time. That�s right, 5 times its been replaced. He was given an Apple Customer Relations number though, one that dealers are given to help with serious problems, not AppleCare. He gave me the number and wished me luck � in fact, he said that when he talked to them, they felt bad that it had been so many times that they were going to send him a new laptop, so he was being upgraded from the 1.33Ghz model to the 1.5Ghz, like mine. He gave me confidence that maybe Apple would in fact make this right. I mean, first they give him an iPod, now they switch his laptop. That�s the kind of dedication to service I thought I was signing up for when paying $500 extra for AppleCare. And apparently he said, there are only 4 people that work in the Customer Relations department in Canada, so it gave me a sense of hope.

When I called Apple�s Customer Relations, I explained that it had now been 3 months that I have been waiting and trying to get this fixed. I explained in detail my experience with Access, and my experience with North Star. Bupe, the guy I was talking to, then tells me � �so, what�s the problem?� Can you believe he failed to see a problem with any of this? In fact, I don�t think he even documented anything! He told me I could get my computer fixed in Calgary and gave me a couple of numbers of places to call. He made me start to think I bought the wrong product. Did I accidentally buy AppleDoesn�tCare instead of AppleCare? Did I even buy a Mac? What did I pay $500 extra for? What did I pay $4000 for?

Well, my screen is getting worse and worse, so I thought I�ll just consider it a bad experience and try to get the screen replaced already. I called the stores in Calgary, but I was leaving to go back to Toronto soon, so they all said that while they knew they could do the work in time, they knew they would never get the screen from Apple in time. I would have to get it fixed it Toronto. But where?

Northstar Part Two
Well, when I told my friend about my experience with Apple�s Customer Relations, he suggested something very wild. He said, maybe I should try NorthStar again, because they seemed like the kind of people I like to deal with, and now that they know they�ve messed up, I will surely get nothing less than exceptional service from them. They will want to make it up to me. It seemed wrong to go back and give my business to people who are so disorganized, but I think there was a part of me that wanted to let them make it better. I wanted them to be �my store� so I went back.

When I saw Allan again, he recognized me right away, even though for some reason, he pretended to have trouble remembering how he knew me. Hmm. So I reminded him what the problem was, and told him that I wanted to know if I could (finally) get my screen replaced. I told him I was there because I wanted them to order a screen if they didn�t already have one, (yes, they did bill AppleCare for replacing my screen the last time, even though I don�t have a new screen), and make arrangements for service. Allan then called the service manager (upstairs somewhere) and when he got off the phone with him, it was time for shocker #2.

He told me that I would have to leave my laptop there (for at least 3 weeks) while they ordered the part to make sure I would actually let them replace the screen. He said they couldn�t keep ordering a bunch of screens from Apple for nothing. So I guess there whole mistake was my fault? What would Don Pullen think? I could not believe that they would even for a second suggest that my screen is not replaced yet because of ME? They keep putting screens on the wrong people�s laptop and bill it to Apple as MY screen replacement, and that�s my fault? I think I should have realized when they never called back to apologize for the mix up, that they are NOT a reputable dealer. I can�t believe it.

So, at this point I was incredibly furious. While I always try to be �the nice guy� and behave as �understanding� as possible, I could tell they were taking advantage of that. I was pissed. But I wasn�t about to give the guy a piece of my mind because I went to the store (in passing actually) with a very attractive female acquaintance of mine, and that would have ruined my efforts up to that point with her, so they lucked out. (Of course, I�ll never go back � you couldn�t even pay me to go back.)

dmenjivar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2005, 10:30 PM

Who Cares?
Surely you can see my frustration at this point. However, it may be relevant to emphasize that I have been very patient and by no means difficult to deal with throughout, (that never gets you anywhere for those of you who are rude and don�t get it). Or maybe I am just being too nice and letting Apple walk all over me? Well, I was going to buy an iPod Photo, but obviously now am thinking twice about it, and now I also want to buy the new iLife, but I�m not so sure I can trust Apple anymore. Would you?

So, the reason I am telling you my story is because I feel stuck. I don�t know what to do. I�ve had no success with AppleCare, calling Apple�s customer relations department was a waste of time. I was going to find yet another Apple dealer, but how will I know I can trust them? WHO can I trust? I know that this might not be directly Apple�s problem, but the dealers�. However, Apple does authorize them to provide Apple Repairs, and I did pay THEM $500 for AppleCare Service. And I still need to get my screen replaced. I also just found out there is an Apple retail store opening here in Toronto soon. Maybe I should wait until then? I hope my screen will last until then! Will I even get decent service there?

I guess I am hoping someone from Apple who actually cares will read this (hopefully) and I can finally get some decent service. But the truth is, at this point, I don�t think just getting my screen fixed will cut it. What about compensation for my time? Or is this what Apple thinks should happen? I mean, I hate people that try to profit from bad experiences, but in this case, I paid an extra $500CDN for it. For what? This!?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear that you had such a crummy experience.

When my drive died two weeks out of warrantee Apple replaced it for free within three working days. The morning after I called support a man from UPS collected the PB, two days later it got delivered back to me. While they replaced the drive they diagnosed a problem with the DVD burner and replaced that as well. I was most impressed with the speed and quality of the repair.

I am surprised that Apple didn't give you the option to send the PB in for service. That is, as far as I know, the normal way they go about things.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 28, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by dmenjivar:
I bought my first Mac last July, and since then, while I love the operating system and software, I have had a much less pleasing experience with the ***SNIP****up to that point with her, so they lucked out. (Of course, I�ll never go back � you couldn�t even pay me to go back.)
Longest first post by a new member evar?

I didn't know it was possible to post such a long post.

For a possible troll you sure spent a lot of time on that post. Go buy a new Fujitsu laptop and be happy.

*I'll admit I didn't read more than a couple paragraphs.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 11:32 PM

To summarize:

My $4000 (Canadian) PowerBook had a bad screen and Apple told me to take it to a service center. The first service center was horrible. The second service center made a mistake and switched my laptop and putting the replacement screen on another person's computer, but I got my laptop back and left. It's now 3 months later. I talked to Apple and took it back to the second place again. They said it would take 3 weeks. I got mad and left.

Now I want Apple to call me and fix my computer.
To be honest, being the nice guy will get you about as far as being a total jerk. You need to be nice, but firm. You should call Apple and stay on the phone until you feel satisfied. You paid $500, remind them of that, and you just want your computer to work properly. Remind them that you wouldn't even need AppleCare at this point because it's still under manufacturers warranty. Say that you want them to have it "FedExed" and repaired (like your friend). And you need it back ASAP.

Nice, but firm... and don't give up. If they say "take it back to XYZ" say, I'm not satisfied with their service, what other options are there. Keep thinking "Nice but firm"

How has it been 3 months already? and you only took it to 2 places? (granted, they both sucked)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:

For a possible troll you sure spent a lot of time on that post. Go buy a new Fujitsu laptop and be happy.

Thanks for proving my point.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Jan 29, 2005, 12:03 AM

thanks for the summary. I didn't make it past his first paragraph. Eyes just glazed right over...

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

greenmeanie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 12:28 AM

it sure does sound like he wants something for free

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 12:50 AM

Is it normal to ship it to Apple? I think your beef is with Apple Canada and the shops themselves.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:56 AM

wow that is a long post...someone sum it up for me

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Thanks for proving my point.
Thanks for derailing the thread.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming./]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 01:12 AM

I've had very good experiences, both with Apple Care and machines returned to apple, and with out-of-warranty work provided by the local repair shop. You're a victim of a comedy of errors, but trust us, it's not pervasive.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 02:29 AM

They cared about me when my ibook's dvd drive closure quit working right. They cared about my Dad's powerbook screen.

It sounds like you're the guy that gets all worked up about nothing, and then blames the world you when you can't get something done.

That was too long.

PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 03:35 AM

AppleCare has fixed my computer on numerous occasions without hassle or complaint, even when I clearly broke the damn thing. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I don't think it's typical.
It's the devil's way now.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 06:21 AM

When the latch on my PowerBook broke I just sent it in to Apple (they sent me a box via DHL, it was there the next day) and had it back in less than a week.

No hassle.

I don't know why Apple Canada doesn't do it this way.

If I were to try to take my laptop to an Apple repair shop around here, I'd have to pay out of pocket, AppleCare wouldn't cover it.

poet guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 07:47 AM

The root of the problem was his unwillingness to part with his laptop for very long and the institutions and powers that be couldn't deal with that.
The thing is, desktop computers are going away in a few years, as more and more people begin carrying a laptop. They too will be unable to part with their computer for very long. The industry should see this coming and modify their consumer repair relations in the future to accomodate this. How this would work remains to be seen.

Fingerprints on his keyboard? Where else should they be? Why was he so fixated on his laptop's hygiene, anyway? That sounds a little weird.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 08:12 AM

Man you are such a dick
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by poet guy:
The root of the problem was his unwillingness to part with his laptop for very long and the institutions and powers that be couldn't deal with that.
The thing is, desktop computers are going away in a few years, as more and more people begin carrying a laptop. They too will be unable to part with their computer for very long. The industry should see this coming and modify their consumer repair relations in the future to accomodate this. How this would work remains to be seen.

Fingerprints on his keyboard? Where else should they be? Why was he so fixated on his laptop's hygiene, anyway? That sounds a little weird.
As a computer repair man I always clean up the finger prints or any other marks related to the work I have done on a computer. ANd I never eat near a computer im working on. Its bad taste to return it to the customer dirty. The finger prints he was refering to was on the case and jam on the keys.

Over the years I have found at least in Vancouver that 50% of the stores that do Apple Care are good and the rest are ok or terrible. In the Vancouver area I only recommend MacStation because I have never had a problem there, I know people that work there too. Apple Canada phone support really sucks though.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 08:28 AM

What I still fail to understand is why he didn't just ask for the laptop to be picked up, as is standard practice. Apple is amazingly quick to return fixed machines.

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 09:33 AM

I've had a buzzing CPU fan on my new iMac G5. They've sent out two midplanes with no quibbles at all, with slight improvement in the noise (I think it's a design flaw). They replaced my failing iBook HDD essentially on my say so (the magic words "I'm a computer scientist" might have helped).

Every time UPS has turned up on the doorstep promptly. I'm quite pleased with AppleCare, actually. It sounds to me like the OP has a problem with the service centres, not with AppleCare.

Call them, tell them you are in warranty and have AppleCare, and ask for collection and a fast turnaround. You never know.

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by Athens:
Man you are such a dick
Something about someone having a bad experience with Apple and/or any of their products brings out the dickness in too many users here. What is it about using a Mac that makes some users so stuck-up?
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 11:17 AM

People, people...

Just because he had a computer repair horror story, it does not make him a troll.

Personally, I would never trust most generic computer stores with my equipment, PC or Mac. The people who work there are (in my bigoted opinion) PC geeky flunkies who really don't care what they're doing, nor know more than what their weekend computer repair course taught them. I know I know far more about repairing a machine than they do. For Macs, they either go to an Apple Retail Store (where I expect them to at least care more about the product than to eat a jelly donut over the motherboard) or straight to Apple via insured mail.

My one experience - a three month old PowerBook G4 Ti which would not power up. I took it to an Apple retail store. They said they'd have to send it to Apple. OK. On the third day, my computer appeared at my home, fixed and clean. Apparently it was shipped to Apple via overnight express, fixed same day and send out same day, via overnight, right back to me.

I couldn't have been happier.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 11:33 AM

Man you are such a dick
So, this guy posts once and leaves? You don't see that as troll behavior?

You sir, are an idiot.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 12:04 PM

You sir, are an idiot.
That post was dickish, you called him a troll for trying to get help with a legitimate AppleCare problem. I'm not seeing any troll-like behavior from him, but I couldn't say the same for you.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:32 PM

You sir, are an idiot.
a troll dosent say so many good things about macs, a troll dosent leave such a detailed long post. When I registered I didnt post for months, then i posted once or twice a month until a year ago when i was posting more. MY ORGINAL COMMENT STANDS your a dick. And his post is dated yesterday, lets give it a week to see if he never comes back.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:41 PM

That's Kilbey's way. He feels better when he puts others down.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
What I still fail to understand is why he didn't just ask for the laptop to be picked up, as is standard practice. Apple is amazingly quick to return fixed machines.
I think the thing is Apple Canada always sends you to a local authorized repair shop and how the repair is handled is entirely up to them.

dmenjivar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 03:23 PM

Wow! That WAS a long post - even I can't believe it and I wrote it! (haha) So.... trust me, I'm not a troll - I am back afterall ;-)

I have heard nothing but good things about Apple and AppleCare, which is why I am surprised that I am having such a bad experience. I think my expectations were definitely set very high, (especially after such a high price tag), and they are not living up to those expectations at all. I understand that my bad experience, or my 'problem' is not with Apple, but with the retailers. However, I expect Apple to stand behind their product (and name?) and help me get this thing fixed. This is where I feel they have let me down. Keep in mind, I paid Apple an extra $500, not the retailers, and the first place I took it to was based off the AppleCare CSR�s recommendation. If they aren't going to fix it for me, but are sending me to retailers instead, shouldn't they at least take a little responsibility for helping me get that done? Especially given my gruesome experiences to this point?

I don�t think my experience is the norm for Apple, in fact, I do believe this is an exceptional case of things going wrong. The problem is, it has gone wrong in a big way, and more than once, for something that should have been really simple to solve. You know, I really am not looking for something for free, but it would be nice for THEM to acknowledge that there WAS a problem, I mean, is that asking too much?

It has now been 4 months since my initial call to Apple Canada on this. (It was 3 then, now its 4, make sense?) Now, I know that my schedule has been so packed that I am to blame for some of that lag, so I am not blaming that on Apple Canada entirely. My point was that no one should have to use a defective product for that long. And yes, I only did take it to 2 places in 3 months, but unfortunately, my schedule does not allow me to go in every week for repairs to a new place. And that�s why I bought an Apple, because �they just work�, otherwise I would have bought an HP or a Dell. (or whatever, you get my point). The time would not have been an issue if it was fixed the first time, or second time even.

I don't think Apple Canada has a pickup service for repairs - at least they have never told me about it, and everyone that I know here in Canada has had to take theirs to a retail store for repairs. I think at this point, that WOULD be the best thing for me though, but I would still need to find a way to part with this thing for more than a day. It would be so much easier if I at least had another computer to use in the meantime, but I don't. Even still, enough is enough already and I want/need to get this fixed, so I would find a way to make it happen, IF sending it in was even an option.

And as for my laptop hygiene, its not obsessive, trust me. ;-) Actually, I am on this thing all the time, so fingerprints are common. However, Access returned my laptop back to me so dirty, it would have pissed anyone off. When I have taken my cell phones and PDAs in for service, the service people (at retail stores, yes) would always clean them for me so that it was noticeably cleaner than when I gave it to them. Those were <$1000 purchases, so perhaps that�s why I expected at least the same from a >$1000 purchase. Really, its not obsessive, it was just REALLY that bad.

Maybe I SHOULD start being more firm, not so nice all the time, and actually start making other people accept blame for this. I never thought of it that way. Well, thank you all for your suggestions!
( Last edited by dmenjivar; Jan 29, 2005 at 04:42 PM. )

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 03:36 PM

I think at this point, that WOULD be the best thing for me though, but I would still need to find a way to part with this thing for more than a day. It would be so much easier if I at least had another computer to use in the meantime, but I don't. Even still, enough is enough already and I want/need to get this fixed, so I would find a way to make it happen, IF that was even an option.
A repair of this type does needs more than a day, that's not uncommon.
Maybe I SHOULD start being more firm, not so nice all the time, and actually start making other people accept blame for this. I never thought of it that way. Well, thank you all for your suggestions!
This is good, but it's also important to keep a steady line of communication going. I think you should go back to Northstar if there isn't any other apple store near by, since they seemed like decent people. When they screwed up by switching the computers, you shouldn't have just walked out on them, but instead should have taken advantage of their mistake and gotten them to give you some sort of a discount or something, I'm sure they would have compensated you in some way since at the time they could clearly see it was their mistake. By walking away and returning some time later, that moment is lost. I think you should return there and describe you story to the guy there again, and try to work out some sort of deal maybe. However, don't expect the repair to be instant, perhaps try having them make all the preparations in advance so that you can give them the laptop when they have all the materials?

dmenjivar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2005, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
A repair of this type does needs more than a day, that's not uncommon.

This is good, but it's also important to keep a steady line of communication going. I think you should go back to Northstar if there isn't any other apple store near by, since they seemed like decent people. When they screwed up by switching the computers, you shouldn't have just walked out on them, but instead should have taken advantage of their mistake and gotten them to give you some sort of a discount or something, I'm sure they would have compensated you in some way since at the time they could clearly see it was their mistake. By walking away and returning some time later, that moment is lost. I think you should return there and describe you story to the guy there again, and try to work out some sort of deal maybe. However, don't expect the repair to be instant, perhaps try having them make all the preparations in advance so that you can give them the laptop when they have all the materials?
Well, there are actually many Apple service centers here in Toronto. However, trust is an issue at this point. (Suggestions anyone in Toronto?) And while getting the screen replaced will solve that part of it, this has taken so much of my time to this point that I need someone to apologize, and accept blame, at least for my peace of mind. Even just a simple apology maybe?

As for leaving the store (North Star) the first time, I left because it was late and the store was closing soon - there was only the part-time employee there, and I knew he couldn't help me. In fact, when I was returning Don Pullen's laptop, I asked if they would reimburse me for a cab ride, but he said he didn't have the authority, so I was stuck taking the subway there (1 hour) and back home (another hour). Now imagine if I was mugged on the subway? or if I tripped on the ice with Don's laptop? I still wonder if maybe Don did have mine at some point? or someone else even? However, the part-timer told me that he was going to document my whole experience (I saw him write some of it) and submit to the store's general manager and have them call me to apologize and make it right. They never did.

And as for getting them to order the materials in advance, that's what I tried (North Star Part Two) and you can read what they said!

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 04:28 PM

You sir, are an idiot.
Do you think about anything that you type?

dialo
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 04:48 PM

You should always send it in directly to apple.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
wow that is a long post...someone sum it up for me
Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
My $4000 (Canadian) PowerBook had a bad screen and Apple told me to take it to a service center. The first service center was horrible. The second service center made a mistake and switched my laptop and putting the replacement screen on another person's computer, but I got my laptop back and left. It's now 3 months later. I talked to Apple and took it back to the second place again. They said it would take 3 weeks. I got mad and left.

Now I want Apple to call me and fix my computer.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 10:29 PM

Wow! That WAS a long post - even I can't believe it and I wrote it! (haha) So.... trust me, I'm not a troll - I am back afterall ;-)
Great to see you back.

I apologize to you for calling you a troll. Please forgive me.

But the rest of you are still jackasses.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 10:31 PM

That's Kilbey's way. He feels better when he puts others down.
Dr. karl, you are so wise in the way's of the humble Kilbey.

Man, show you you're wrong once and you hold a grudge and obsess about me. I think I learned my lesson. Karl is a grumpy old man.

Have a smoke and chill out gramps.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by TheJoshu:
Do you think about anything that you type?
Purely from instinct. I just act. Trust my gut. Just do it. No delay.

How about you?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 11:01 PM

Dr. karl, you are so wise in the way's of the humble Kilbey.

Man, show you you're wrong once and you hold a grudge and obsess about me. I think I learned my lesson. Karl is a grumpy old man.

Have a smoke and chill out gramps.
You've shown nothing about me, but volumes about yourself, and I don't smoke, but thanks for the thought.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 11:10 PM

You've shown nothing about me, but volumes about yourself, and I don't smoke, but thanks for the thought.
Lay off dude - you're the one in the wrong here. Kilbey didn't even call the guy a troll - it was "possible troll". Big difference. Kilb even mentions that he didn't get past paragraph two... ...and until then it could have a been a troll post.
Yet you jump on him to settle old scores (?). Chill out and grow up dude.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 11:11 PM

I just want you to relax. You seem tense and bitter.

So you don't smoke, do whatever it is you do to make yourself less uptight.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 11:11 PM

This doesn't concern you.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 29, 2005, 11:15 PM

This doesn't concern you.
Just chill dude.

Back on topic: A friend had a bad G3 iBook and called at least 4 times for help. They sent him to an Apple store where they replaced the optical drive, then the HD and finally told him his RAM was bad, even though it was Apple RAM.

I urged him to call one last time and ask for his case to be elevated, (whatever that means, it just sounded good), and they ended up sending him a new G4 iBook.

Moral of the story: persistence.

poet guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2005, 07:47 AM

Sorry about my "weird" remark, I guess I took your comments out of context.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 09:03 AM

Great to see you back.

I apologize to you for calling you a troll. Please forgive me.

But the rest of you are still jackasses.

Takes a big man to say sorry or to admit they are wrong. You just scored some points in my book

Oh im still a jackass fine your still a dick

acadian
Senior User
Jan 30, 2005, 12:32 PM

Your first mistake was taking it to NorthStar. Take it to either Carbon Computing on Queen East or MacDoc (www.macdoc.com). MacDoc being my first choice.
people ruin everything....

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2005, 01:40 PM

If I were you I woulda contacted the lounge soon after you experienced the screen issue. Of course this is hindsight..so..

waky waky!

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 30, 2005, 03:56 PM

Takes a big man to say sorry or to admit they are wrong. You just scored some points in my book

Oh im still a jackass fine your still a dick
It's "you're still a dick."

Gotta keep up the dickness.

dmenjivar  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 03:38 AM

So I received an email from apple support today:

Dear Apple Customer:

On behalf of Apple, we would like to invite you to
participate in a follow-up web survey regarding your recent
carry-in repair experience at a local Apple Authorized
Service Provider.

Your perspective is very important to Apple and the
AppleCare team. All information you provide will be treated
as CONFIDENTIAL and will be used solely to improve our
support programs and product offerings.

To complete this web survey, simply click on the web address
(URL) displayed below or copy and paste the entire web
address into the address field of your web browser.

Note: AOL users, you may find it easiest to copy and paste
the web address (URL) below into the address box at the top
of your screen.

http://theURLwashere

This survey should take approximately 3-5 minutes to
complete. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know
how well we are meeting your expectations.

Sincerely,

AppleCare Service and Support
Apple
E-mail: [email protected]

I filled out the survey and included a copy of my original post as "comments" - I'll keep you all posted if anything develops...

gadster
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2005, 07:02 AM

What a peculiar thread.
e-gads

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2005, 10:45 AM

The rule of thumb with applecare is to always have a big enough stick handy; if the support staff somewhere is ****ing you over, call up Apple Customer Relations and go over their heads. If your unit has been shipped out and they didn't repair what needed to be or something else got broken, talk to Customer Relations; they're really nice and are happy to kick ass for you when need be.

About a month back I had a hell of a lot of fun getting my PB12/revC screen repaired due to a defect; took two mailouts to the depot and a call to customer relations. But its now totally fixed!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2005, 10:55 AM

It obviously wasn't seeing that he had to use two posts to make it work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules