Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What does my friend need to do to his iPhone to sell it?

What does my friend need to do to his iPhone to sell it?
markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2008, 04:51 PM

Hey, folks. First of all, thanks for indulging a cell-newbie like me. I'm asking on behalf of a fellow cell-know-nothing who owns an 8-GB iPhone. Poor guy bought it early and found that he really doesn't like it. So with news of a new iPhone model being allegedly released in June, he wants to quickly sell it online so that he can buy a non-smartphone.

So the question is this: is there anything special that he has to do to sell it safely? Should he remove the SIM card? Call AT&T and disassociate himself with the phone? Buy another SIM card somehow and drop it in before he ships it?

Should he unlock it first in order to try to drive up the value?

Thanks again for your help, everyone.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

Parky
Mac Elite
May 17, 2008, 01:22 PM

He will have to continue to pay the AT&T monthly charges until the end of the 2 year contract he signed.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

markponcelet  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2008, 02:22 PM

Well, he knows that. He'll probably just get another phone to continue to use with the service. (Perhaps a newer iPhone.) He just needs to ensure that he does things right.
17" Rev. A MBP (ATI X1600 256 MB, 2 GB RAM, OS 10.5, Parallels Build 3214)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2008, 02:23 PM

All he has to do is go into iTunes and restore the iPhone to factory settings. That will wipe it clean and he can then sell it safely. It won't work again until the new buyer activates it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules