Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > software recommendation

software recommendation
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 11:26 AM

I have a scanner which I need to scan in about 12 pages. I like to send the scanned document to a friend but dont want to send him 12 separate files. Is there anyway of makeing the 12 scanned pages in to one .pdf that you could page through? I all I have is the free adobe downloaded reader. Is there a freeware solution or something in Preview?
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 11:39 AM

you can copy/paste all those pages into one document in any program that you like - textedit will probably do fine - then just go file -> print and there is an option in the print dialog box to "save as pdf..."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - it worked. Amazing how fast you can get help on thesae boards. Anyway, although Text edit worked, but the scanned pages where broken up. I used MS Word which did a much better job at retaining the original pages. By the way does anyone know why 'saving to pdf " is only an option when printing- seems to me that one should be able to save to pdf under the 'save as' option under file. I wonder why?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 03:50 PM

Yeah, "Save as PDF" makes much more sense.

You can always remind Apple at http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/ as they actually listen.

J

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2004, 04:11 PM

For future consideration ...

Combine PDF
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12354
Tiger 10.4.8

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Oct 25, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
Thanks for the suggestion - it worked. Amazing how fast you can get help on thesae boards. Anyway, although Text edit worked, but the scanned pages where broken up. I used MS Word which did a much better job at retaining the original pages. By the way does anyone know why 'saving to pdf " is only an option when printing- seems to me that one should be able to save to pdf under the 'save as' option under file. I wonder why?
I think it is because of the way PDF's were originally created. Stupid and yes apple should change it. Save goes for faxing (choosing print doesn't make sense).

"Hello, what have we here?

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
For future consideration ...

Combine PDF
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12354
Awesome now this is the kind of program that I was looking for. It produces sharper and more "clean" page breaks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules