Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Benchmarks comparing 7200rpm HD in MacBook to 5400?

Benchmarks comparing 7200rpm HD in MacBook to 5400?
nickw311
Senior User
Nov 18, 2007, 11:45 PM

Someone in the thread about replacing a MacBook HD with a 7200rpm HD said that the performance benefits were minimal. It got me wondering if anyone has run or seen any benchmarks comparing the two.

Here is the original thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/66/macbook-a...ng-macbook-hd/
27" iMac C2D

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 01:25 AM

Depends what you're doing... for bulk transfers you won't see a difference, but for I/O (reading/writing lots of small files and 'jumping around' the disk) bound usage you will. Here are some comparison benchmarks for the fastest laptop drives available.

Buy a solid state (flash) drive if you really need speed (I/O and bulk transfers).

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2007, 02:51 AM

I actually found that USB flash drive was slower than burning to CD or DVD !

SImilarly for external HDD

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post

SSD is flash connected via SATA, not USB.

But an external HDD should be faster than CD/DVD.

Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 19, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311 View Post
Someone in the thread about replacing a MacBook HD with a 7200rpm HD said that the performance benefits were minimal. It got me wondering if anyone has run or seen any benchmarks comparing the two.
I can't talk from personal experience with laptop drives, but I upgraded my iMac G3's drive from the stock 5,400RPM drive to a 7,200RPM drive, and there was a definite (albeit slight) performance boost in day-to-day use. I suspect you'd get a similar boost in moving to a 7,200RPM drive.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Buy a solid state (flash) drive if you really need speed (I/O and bulk transfers).
Unfortunately, they're horrifically expensive just now; in a couple of years, I imagine they'll be affordable. Once they are, I'll be popping one inside my Cube to further decrease the (already negligible) sound foot-print.

Originally Posted by MacNNUK View Post

The USB is acting as a bottle-neck in this case; the average read/write rates of even USB2.0 are far lower than either PATA or SATA. USB2.0 has a peal transfer speed of 480MB/s, but its sustained transfer rate is much lower; on top of that, Apple's implementation of USB is poorer than Microsoft's implementation under Windows.

With external hard-drives, the consensus around here is stick to FireWire; overall, the performance is much better than USB's.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Koralatov View Post
Unfortunately, they're horrifically expensive just now; in a couple of years, I imagine they'll be affordable. Once they are, I'll be popping one inside my Cube to further decrease the (already negligible) sound foot-print.
At 32GB for $300 it's not that bad now for people who need the performance... but for people who are just looking for the noise improvement they are still pretty expensive.

Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
At 32GB for $300 it's not that bad now for people who need the performance... but for people who are just looking for the noise improvement they are still pretty expensive.
That's definitely getting there, but it's still way too rich for my tastes. When I can get 64GB for about £100, then I'll bite. Until then, sadly I'll have to hold off...

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 07:35 PM

Also worth considering the cache on some of these disks - newer ones are coming with 16mb which is bound to make a difference
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2007, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ixus_123 View Post
Also worth considering the cache on some of these disks - newer ones are coming with 16mb which is bound to make a difference
It will make a difference for small writes, but it's not really a big deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules