Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5400rpm vs 4200rpm

5400rpm vs 4200rpm
vestago
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2002, 05:44 PM

I am considering to upgrage original 10GB 4200rpm HD to IBM travelstar 40GNX 40GB 5400rpm HD. I am using iBook 500M with 384M.

My question is if I can see overall speed improvement with new HD. In spec, their seek times are both 12ms and buffer size is larger. If I cannot see, I can go cheaper(and, less heat) 40GN 40GB 4200rpm.

Any opinion?

Thanks

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 06:26 PM

It won't be that big of a difference. The biggest change you'll notice is a shorter battery life.

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 03:48 AM

I beg to differ Check out Barefeats for a comparison on the boot times and performance improvements between the 4200 and the new 9.5mm 5400RPM drives and then make your own decision. I personally have seen improvements to my Tibook with the 60GB IBM and the 40GNX is supposed to be faster because of the 8mb buffer.

I think this is a good holdover for a performance boost compared to buying a new iBook 700, a hard drive is a lot more affordable.

The best improvments are ram and bigger faster hard drives because a larger hard drive with more free space is going to access files quicker than a almost full 10GB or, whatever size HD you have because the more the HD fills up the HD takes longer to find things. Also you need the free space so your HD can be optimized or defragmented.

Markus

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 12:26 PM

I replaced my 30 gig OEM drive (Ti G4 DVI) with a 32 gig IBM 5400 rpm unit. It is only a bit faster, but digital video is handled much better. I rarely have a dropped frame with it. I would definately do it again.

PeteWK

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 09:00 AM

Barefeats does compare the drives and the 5400 RPM drives are definitely faster. But as far as user experience goes I don't think you'll find a 4200 RPM drive to be noticeably slower since you won't be comparing it to anything else, unless you are doing heavy data transfer stuff like video. It will just do its job and you won't know or care that a 5400 RPM drive might have shaved off a second or two. However, the 4200 RPM drive will use less power than the faster drive so your battery life will be better.

Chris

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by el lindo:
It won't be that big of a difference. The biggest change you'll notice is a shorter battery life.
The IBM gn and gnx drives have the same power consumption. You won't notice a shorter battery life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules