Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth cellphone

Bluetooth cellphone
HamSandwich
Jul 22, 2004, 10:30 AM

Hey everyone,
the question is as general as the subject suggests. I am looking for a bluetooth cellphone. I didn't have a cellphone before, but I feel I do need one now.

Money is a non-issue for now.
The cellphone should
- be small
- have bluetooth to sync my contacts
- be easy to use
- look elegant
- have lots of space for messages and for contacts
- have a good keyboard (do you call it that with cellphones? I don't mean a qwertz-board or so, just a normal cellphone 'keyboard')

I think that's it. Any suggestions? As I said, money is not that important, it should be good and then I look about money.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Steve

Zoom
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 10:48 AM

Are you in the US? What service do you want? Those two things will determine what set of phone you can choose.

Do you want a "candy bar" or a "flip phone"? Or do you want a PDA-type phone?

The Motorola V600 has BT, but you need an after-market utility to sync.

The Sony-Ericsson and Nokia phones are you best bets. They are fully supported by Apple and iSync. The SE T616 is very nice (I think there's a newer version out, too.)

Look at the Apple iSync compatibility page for a list of options.

Here's a thread you should look at.

HamSandwich
Jul 22, 2004, 11:18 AM

candy bar or flip phone... good question. I don't know really, I want to be sure that they have everything I need and then I decide on it. I don't want a PDA-like one.

And I'm in Germany and I won't take a contract, so it doesn't really depend on the service which phone I choose, I should be able to pick up pretty much any one.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

[edit] I thought about and I don't really want a flip phone.
( Last edited by HamSandwich; Jul 22, 2004 at 11:27 AM. )

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 11:20 AM

The Sony K700i is it for me.. works perfectly with my PowerBook - although it is not "officially" supported by Apple yet (even though the icon for it is in iSync) but I am in love with my K700i... But, as the other poster asked - what network, USA, etc.?

Images of K700i

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Hey everyone,
the question is as general as the subject suggests. I am looking for a bluetooth cellphone. I didn't have a cellphone before, but I feel I do need one now.

Money is a non-issue for now.
The cellphone should
- be small
- have bluetooth to sync my contacts
- be easy to use
- look elegant
- have lots of space for messages and for contacts
- have a good keyboard (do you call it that with cellphones? I don't mean a qwertz-board or so, just a normal cellphone 'keyboard')

I think that's it. Any suggestions? As I said, money is not that important, it should be good and then I look about money.

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Steve
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

mauimac
Jul 22, 2004, 02:55 PM

I'm just doing some research on this myself...check out the Sony Ericsson T637... http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=496

question..does anyone know if the T637 has the same connections as the T226 and T616? (for car charger & headsets, etc)

thanks!

HamSandwich
Jul 22, 2004, 04:32 PM

I checked some sites out and the K700i is beatiful. The cam seems to be awesome - for a cellphone - and there is lots of memory. Do you know if the memory can also be used for contacts and messages and not only for images? Would be good to know.

Are there any competitors for this one out there?

Steve

HamSandwich
Jul 22, 2004, 04:46 PM

I checked some sites out and the K700i is beatiful. The cam seems to be awesome - for a cellphone - and there is lots of memory. Do you know if the memory can also be used for contacts and messages and not only for images? Would be good to know.

Are there any competitors for this one out there?

Steve

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 05:58 PM

For the money, (ie 150 back through amazon), I highly recommend the t637.

HamSandwich
Jul 22, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
For the money, (ie 150 back through amazon), I highly recommend the t637.
From what I've read, that's the American version of the T630, right?

Steve

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 06:04 PM

Sony Ericsson makes very good Bluetooth phones so go with them
iamwhor3hay

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Sony Ericsson makes very good Bluetooth phones so go with them
I like my T610, and have heard great things about the T630

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2004, 08:10 PM

All the people with Sony Ericsson T610s I know in Germany are having problems because either the interface is crap, or the carriers are locking them to make certain settings inaccessible - I'm not entirely sure which. (For example, they are unable to switch off WAP services, which is the first thing all of them tried to do. This sucks royally, because vodafone, for example has one of the two main function keys permanently assigned to WAP services, which means that a) you waste the function key, and b) you're always inadvertently accessing expensive content you don't want or need.)

I am happy with my Siemens S55. Had it for 18 months now.

Small, pretty, and the keys are easily discerned (NOT the case on the SL55, which is the same phone but even smaller and kind of cooler, but the keys suck). It syncs well with the Mac, has Bluetooth, and I like the interface. The camera is optional now (mine came with it), but it does VGA resolution at 640 * 480, which is four times what other phone cams do. Transfer via Bluetooth is flawless. The display is small but adequate. It does polyphonic ring tones, too. The mic is very sensitive, though, so occasionally, people will complain I'm too loud.

Stay away from the Siemens A50.

The main reason I will remain a Siemens customer is their no-questions-asked replacement service. Under warranty, it's one call to the service hotline, and two days later the German Parcel Service guy is on your doormat, asking you to switch your battery and SIM card to the refurbished replacement phone, and would you sign here, please. That is all.

I have not heard of similar service from other manufacturers.

-s*

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2004, 03:14 AM

Wow. I just got a Sony T637. Hadn't even thought about the Apple connectivity. I can't wait to play with it.

perbl
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2004, 04:03 AM

Only bad thing I can come up with on the K700i is the lack of an expansion slot for memory cards.. Can't really see the value of an MP3-player when you only have 42MB of space

But anyways, you can also look at the MP3-feature as just another bonus-feat, because it is a really great phone.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 06:26 AM

Another vote for the S-E K700i. Works beautifully. None of the problems that I had with my Nokia 6600. The only downsides seem to be that neither addresses nor all-day appointments in iCal sync.

Lovely phone, though. Faster than the other phones I've used recently, which was a welcome surprise.

-Q-
Jul 23, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
I like my T610, and have heard great things about the T630
From a personal perspective, that phone is awesome. Great screen, great reception, good batterly life. And it connects flawlessly with my mac. I got tired of waiting for the 637 to be released in the states so when my wife went to germany, she picked me up one from a T-mobile store. Works great here in the US.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
From what I've read, that's the American version of the T630, right?

Steve
Right. The bluetooth/salling clicker controls are awesome. check out salling.com when you get a chance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules