Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 23" HD Cinema Display will not start up AlBook

New 23" HD Cinema Display will not start up AlBook
madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 05:14 AM

I noticed today that my new 23" HD Cinema Display will not start up my new Aluminum PowerBook 1.5GHz when I press the power button on the display. Strange as my old 20" display would start my TiBook. Am I doing something wrong?

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 05:45 AM

I wonder if it has something to do with the current range of Mac's not having power buttons on their keyboards?
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 07:30 AM

The only way I can get it to work is to click on an external mouse button or hit the keyboard..
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2004, 10:50 AM

Mine new 20" alu display won't wake my powerbook up either.

Until the last update to OS X, I didn't have the option in the Preferences to select what the power button on the display would do. I set it to "Sleep" the computer, but now when I hit the power button on the display, its like I hit the power button on my PB (17"), and it asks me if I want to "Sleep, Restart, Shutdown..." etc.

So I do the three-finger-salute (the other one) to put my baby to sleep (Cmd-Option-Eject) on my BT Keyboard.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2004, 11:14 AM

I think it has something to do with the new screens being DVI where as the older screens had ADC.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

madgreek  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 07:17 PM

Waking from sleep is never a problem as I can use the keyboard or mouse button to do that. It's starting from a shut down PowerBook that I can't seem to do with this new display.

As for the possibility of the new displays being DVI instead of ADC; I can't see how that can be the reason as I had to use an ADC-to-DVI converter on the PowerBook anyway.

ibook_steve
Aug 30, 2004, 08:02 PM

ADC has more signals and more control than DVI. It is likely that ADC carried the signalling required to start a machine from the panel while DVI does not because DVI is an industry standard while ADC was an Apple standard, meaning they could do anything with it that they wanted. There is no provision in the DVI standard for any sort of system level power control, only DVI and RGB video, nothing more. Since Apple controls the ADC "spec" they were free to do whatever they wanted, including adding a power control mechanism or the power button flashing in sync with the box during sleep as was the case with the G4 cube. I know you want to turn on or do something with the machine while the lid is closed, but why would you ever shut your machine down anyway. Just sleep it. I hardly ever push the power button.

Steve

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 30, 2004, 09:43 PM

The ADC counterpoint would make sense...

except no Powerbook has had an ADC port. How was this working before?
<This space under renovation>

ibook_steve
Aug 30, 2004, 11:46 PM

The ADC to DVI adaptor may put something on the DVI to a compatible machine to control its power.

Steve

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 11:50 PM

If that is the case, why wouldn't Apple just put that same data directly into the DVI from the monitor?

ibook_steve
Aug 31, 2004, 03:10 AM

Because single link DVI is a standard that cannot be altered. Apple uses DVI-I for the DVI connectors which has enough pins for a dual link connection, only required for huge panels like the 30". There is no reason why Apple couldn't put other stuff on the unused pins of the second link on their ADC displays since those pins would never be used.

Steve

AndrewP
Aug 31, 2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
Because single link DVI is a standard that cannot be altered. Apple uses DVI-I for the DVI connectors which has enough pins for a dual link connection, only required for huge panels like the 30". There is no reason why Apple couldn't put other stuff on the unused pins of the second link on their ADC displays since those pins would never be used.

Steve
But.... the only outputs from an ADC to DVI converter are DVI and USB. Both of these are standards. Putting additional signals on the unused pins of the DVI connector could cause some serious problems if the display were used on a non-apple video card (or on an apple card that supports dual link DVI). One should be able to power-on the system via USB. I'm guessing that there are some "issues" with the monitor design.

I'm disappointed that the button on my display won't power on my G5 tower. For me it's a problem since the tower is 20' away in another room. Fortunately I leave it on all the time and can wake it from sleep from the keyboard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules