Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Electrical/Cad Software for Mac

Electrical/Cad Software for Mac
ChrisVidecak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 04:00 PM

Hello. I currently own a desktop with windows xp. I am interested in buying an Apple iBook G4. This comes with Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther. The issue is: I am going to be taking electrical engineering courses in college, and am wondering if there is any electrical/cad software available for Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther. I don't want to end up getting a notebook that doesn't have any of this type of software available.

So...is there this type of software available? Or would I be better off going with a Windows based OS?

Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Chris
Chris

smeger
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 01:27 AM

Designworks. I haven't tried it for about two years, but I've done full jobs on it in the past. Schematic layout and PCB layout. They'll even print your boards for you.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

mindwaves
Jan 9, 2005, 02:43 AM

From experience, most EE software will run on the school's server (as it is thousands of $$$) of which you can use Apple's X11 software to ssh into the school's machine and run it from your Mac. However, basic circuit simulaion software like PSpice, you will need a Windows machine to run or use VPC.

ChrisVidecak  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 12:11 PM

Will VPC work on a stock Apple iBook G4? I have read that VPC requires 512Mb of RAM, and upgrade cards are not supported. The iBook G4 only has 256Mb.

iBook G4 Tech Specs

Thanks, Chris
Chris

mindwaves
Jan 9, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by ChrisVidecak:
Will VPC work on a stock Apple iBook G4? I have read that VPC requires 512Mb of RAM, and upgrade cards are not supported. The iBook G4 only has 256Mb.

iBook G4 Tech Specs

Thanks, Chris
It will not work well at all using 256MB of RAM. I would suggest upping it to at least 768MB of RAM (a 512MB upgrade that is for about $90). But first year EE students typically do not need any simulation software until their 3rd or higher years. Right now, your work will most likely going to their PC labs and doing your boolean algebra type stuff there where you really do not need your Mac since you can finish your work there. However, your later years will require you to finish your work at home.

banninated68
Banned
Jan 9, 2005, 02:26 PM

iBook G4 Tech Specs

Thanks, Chris
You're going to want 512 in that ibook anyway. 256 is lethargic in OSX, it runs like ****. Upping to 512 increase the performance of your laptop probably 180%.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:37 PM

If you feel like installing DarwinPorts, you can download Electric, a GNU free software electrical CAD program (requires Apple's X11); don't know if it is widely used, however...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 03:22 PM

Hello. I currently own a desktop with windows xp. I am interested in buying an Apple iBook G4. This comes with Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther. The issue is: I am going to be taking electrical engineering courses in college, and am wondering if there is any electrical/cad software available for Mac OS X version 10.3 Panther. I don't want to end up getting a notebook that doesn't have any of this type of software available.

So...is there this type of software available? Or would I be better off going with a Windows based OS?

Any input appreciated.
Thanks, Chris
Check with the school, in case there is a software requirement that you must have, and see if it will run on a Mac. Do this before you buy anything.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 07:33 AM

... BTW, in a free software advocacy spirit, I just found another open source electrical engineering program, KTechlab: looks very good (here is a review), but obviously is not yet available in binary form for OS X - very promising for the future, anyway...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules