Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What do u recommend? 2.66 or 2.8 ghz for a 15.4 MacBookPro?

What do u recommend? 2.66 or 2.8 ghz for a 15.4 MacBookPro?
angela.adelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 12:10 AM

I hear the 2.66 is better becuase it is less heat and load on the battery. Is this true? How would a 2.8 GHz combine with the 500GB HDD at 7200rpm? Please, any insight would be much, much appreciated since I need to configure a really great notebook that will last a few years. This is my first MAC, making transition from PC...Thank you to anyone who can help me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 12:19 AM

I would say it's mostly a money / performance issue.

What are you going to do with the MBP ?
If you are not doing any processor intensive tasks, I'd say the 2.66 is plenty enough.

Also, do you need the extra (discrete) GPU that the 2.66 MBP comes with ?
You'd only need it if you are going to play graphics intensive games. Battery runtime is far worse with the discrete GPU. In most cases, when on battery, you'd wanna use the on-board GPU.

Why am I bringing this up ? Perhaps, even the 2.53GHz would be enough, which only has the on-board GPU.

I'd rather get the 2.53GHz, and spend the extra money on a backup HD.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2009, 01:19 AM

There's a common misconception about heat when it comes to the 15" MBP based on the fact that while Intel has a 2.66 GHz C2D in the 25W P series (P9600), the 2.8 GHz C2D only comes as a 35W T series part (T9600). But it's really moot because for the 2.66 GHz model Apple uses the 35W T9550 anyway, not the P9600.

I wouldn't be worried so much about heat than about cost. As usual there's a good argument to be made for the faster CPU. Contrary to RAM and drive, the CPU is what you'll be stuck with forever. There's no way to upgrade the CPU. The counter-argument is cost. There's a substantial price difference for that 5% clock increase.

Otherwise I'd concur with Turtle. Evaluate your requirements. Is your work really limited by CPU performance? What kind of other specs do you require - how much RAM, HDD vs. SSD, integrated vs. dedicated graphics, etc.? And consider how much money you can spend and if you have allocated enough for other important things like backup disk, etc.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2009, 05:15 AM

I'd rather put my money towards more RAM.

If you can afford to max out an MBP to 8 Gb, you'll have a very powerful computer that would work great with even demanding graphics applications (provided that you use an external display when at home).

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 05:17 PM

Thank you Turtle, Simon and Vetliner, I see what you are all saying. I wish I had all the $'s in the world and get the best in everything. So here's the most I can do. Please tell me if you think this config will stand the test of time:

15" MBP, Antiglare Screen
2.8 GHz processor
8 GB RAM
500GB HD@7200 rpm
(Note: with I could get the 256GB SDD but capacity on this SDD remains low and write speeds need to bear further improvement for me to justify the cost).
3-year Apple Care
1-year One to One package
Parallels S/W

This configuration already maxes me out. I already have a 1Terra backup HD that I bought a couple weeks ago that is MAC/PC compatible. Everything will get backup there. I just need to get different back-up software for it. Speaking of S/W, I plan on downloading the trial version of Windows 7 and Office 7 because I won't be able to purchase more than iWorks if I get this configuration. I will have more money for S/W in a month or so...

What do you think?!!! I am excited about this change from PC to MAC even though I know I will feel a little lost for a couple of weeks after I get it....

Thanks SO much for weighing in!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 25, 2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by angela.adelle View Post
Please tell me if you think this config will stand the test of time:
Buying a computer is a never ending cycle if you wish to use the latest software so buying the highest end computer isn't always the most economical idea because prices will fall in the future. The key is to predict how much computing power you will need in the future and this can only be done by knowing what you primarily use your computer for. So instead of giving us the specs of what you think you will buy, it's more important that you tell us what software you use and what else you would like to use your computer for.

For example, if you are a light user like my dad a low end 13" MacBook Pro might last you for several years. He hasn't upgraded his computer for about 5 years now but he only uses his computer for email, browsing the internet, and some Office programs like Microsoft Word. He also bought the lowest end computer at that time so that's saying a lot. I personally think many people overestimate how quickly their computers will be too slow for them. If you are more of a high end user or like to always use the latest software then you might want to think about a mid grade computer or higher end performance. If you are not a high end user then you are wasting your money because in a year or two the prices for those specs will go down in price dramatically.

Also you shouldn't buy RAM from Apple. It's way over priced. The default 4 gigs of RAM should be good enough for most people but if you need more in the future you can always buy it from a third party vendor for a much cheaper price. If you can't justify the SDD then you can also always upgrade it later. I personally will wait for SDD to come down in price and haven't had too much complaints about current hard drives but that's just me so your miles will vary.

But before you get further advice you really should tell us what you are using your computer for. Without further information I would say you are buying more than you need because most people don't use their computers for intensive tasks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 05:53 PM

Everything will get backup there. I just need to get different back-up software for it.
Actually, no need for that. Apple already includes a perfect backup app in OS X, called Time Machine. It's the best thins since sliced bread.

-t

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks Endless Mac, I probably should have started there, telling you plan to do with my machine. I will say though that I have always bought powerful machines and in two years they get real slow on me. First off, I will be using both operating systems in my machine concurrently, OS X and Windows 7. I foresee having both operating systems on at the same time. I do not want to use boot camp and partition the hardrive. I need both platforms in tandem.

In Windows I will use Office 7 Ultimate (the loaded version w/ all the apps), VISIO, Project and ACCESS. I use all three of these a lot and in conjunction with the other Office Suite products, i.e., Publisher and Powerpoint. In the MAC side I will use the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro), and also software to develop my own Web site. I spend a lot of time on InDesign doing really cool documents and pubs for my church.

While I work I keep up to 20 windows open and I go from one to the other. I think in a multitasking random pattern. I keep several browser windows open at a time and max out the tabs on each one. I also want to develop my own little greeting card online store in the future so I will be looking into other publishing type of software packages that could allow me to develop great looking cards, business cards, etc that I can develop this over time. I use both Safari and Mozilla Firefox. I also use Outlook all day long and synch with my Blackberry several times a day if necessary. Although I am thinking about getting an iPhone down the road with Mobile Me. With a BB I guess I don't need Mobile Me yet. Don't want to lock myself into a 2-year contract with AT&T right now.

I used to program SQL and Autosimulations (Unix and C++ platform) in a Silicon Graphics workstation. I used to be a heavy CAD user too and I have been wanting to experiment with Apple's new CAD-like software Punch. Because of my work I have to be in touch with all the Web 2.0 apps that have come out so I can recommend them to my clients at work. I have a BS in Engineering but now am doing knowledge management (collaborative technologies) and do not code anything except for a few Excel Macros and some VBA for MS Access,but the rookie, simple stuff. I back up my data automatically all the time and I take super good care of my machines. I have a ton of music. Not a ton of photos but plan on doing more of that with the cool MAC S/W on the market. I do not do any video editing and do not think that's in my near future.

I called Parallels yesterday and they told me that the more RAM the better because Parallels can take up a lot. It is because of the virtualization S/W that I thought that perhaps 8GB is the way to go. I am tired of how sl-o-o-ow my IBM Thinkpad T43 (loaded with everything) has become. Oh man, it freezes all the time because I'm always out of space. I can't keep any files in it anymore and I can never leave the house without my external drive. At the same time, I know how quickly computers depreciate so I don't want to be foolish. I like the idea of purchasing more RAM after market as long as I don't violate the warranty. I used to work for IBM so I know everything about those machines and am slowly learning about Apple.

Hope this info helps as you continue to steer me in the right direction. I need to purchase quickly, as soon as I have the right configuration down.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2009, 09:02 PM

I'd go with the 2.66, for the simple reason that for what you're doing, it will do you just fine. I don't think you'll notice the slight CPU increase or the increased GPU RAM, and it'll cost less.

What I would do is to get as much RAM as you can possibly afford, especially if you're running Parallels. VMs take up a lot of RAM, and if you have a heavy workflow you could end up with a lot of paging and really annoying beachballs.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 25, 2009, 09:24 PM

Well from what you have told us I would classify you as a high end user. Your specs actually sound about right for what you need. Definitely max out the RAM if you are multitasking a lot and using Parallels. Your multitasking I believe is your real issue because the more programs you have open at the same time and how many windows within the programs are opened will be your limiting factor so maxing out your RAM would be the way to go. You don't void the warranty upgrading your RAM.

The other issue I noticed is that if you are using a lot of CAD software then you will probably benefit from the higher RAM GPU of the 2.8 computer instead of the one on the 2.66. Correctly me if I'm wrong but CAD is 3D animation right? If it were not for that I think you could have used the 2.66 computer okay. 2.66 to 2.8 isn't much of performance difference.
( Last edited by EndlessMac; Sep 25, 2009 at 09:31 PM. )

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 10:06 PM

Thank you Charles S. and EndlessMac for sharing your expertise with me. I am truly humbled given that I am a MAC rookie. One last question please, I have upgraded the RAM in my own Thinkpad once. I uncrewed the computer and did the installation myself. I ordered the RAM from IBM and it was cheap because I had a 40% discount since I was an employee. But for Apple, especially this sleek alum unibody, is there a type of RAM you recommend? Or is RAM just RAM no matter who makes it? You know how batteries, for example, can be different, Energizer, Duracell, Rayovac, etc. Is RAM the same way, one brand is better than another? OR should I buy RAM directly from Apple? It's funny, I know more about hardrives and other h/w components and peripherals a whole lot more than I do about simple RAM. I would like to purchase it and install it right away, that's why I ask this now. My lack of knowledge about Apple is making me feel rather insecure about where to go. BTW, I live one mile away from Microcenter and go there often. That ought to help.

Thank you again! - Angela.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 10:24 PM

I can give you some tips as a new Mac user that'll win you points in the community:

1. It's actually just Mac, short for Macintosh. A lot of people get that confused so don't sweat it.
2. Keep all the packaging from your computer! Macs have an exceptionally high resale value compared to PCs, and Mac users love buying machines that are still with their packaging. It sounds strange, but just having the box with the computer might get you an extra $25 to $50 when you're ready to sell it.
3. If you know anyone who's in school (teacher, children, spouse, friend, occasional acquaintance), you can save some bucks with an Educational Discount. If you don't know anyone, go ahead and check out Apple's Refurbished computers. They're considered new for all intents and purposes, including eligibility for extended warranty. Often they are new; someone just bought it then returned it the next day.
4. Check with your Credit Card, it may offer an extended warranty on your laptop. Sometimes they offer +1 year on top of any warranty you buy.
5. Lastly, welcome! Apple Store is a great place fore free training, free tech support, etc. But also, you'll find that nearly all Mac users are more than willing to help other Mac users. It's worth checking to see if there's a local Macintosh Users Group in your area.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 10:28 PM

But for Apple, especially this sleek alum unibody, is there a type of RAM you recommend? Or is RAM just RAM no matter who makes it?
RAM is RAM. You may want to stick to the name brands, but there's no special RAM that works with an Apple. You can save a bundle by buying RAM somewhere else. I like Newegg.com. You still need to make sure it's the right type of RAM. Batteries have AA, AAA, D, etc. RAM is similar, they have DDR, DDR2, SO-DIMMs, etc.

I'm not picky, I'll buy any brand RAM so long as it has a lifetime warranty; even the so-called "value" RAM.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2009, 10:30 PM

I'm going to disagree with that and say to go with name-brand RAM. If you get bad RAM, it can cause all sorts of crashes, kernel panics, etc. and make your experience quite miserable. Furthermore, the RAM from Crucial is usually not that much more expensive than cheaper brands, especially if you get it from Newegg.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 25, 2009, 10:41 PM

I like buying my RAM from http://www.crucial.com but there are several places you can buy RAM. Either way you'll be saving a lot of money if you don't buy it from Apple.

Here is a video that will give an overview of the process:YouTube - Upgrading/Replacing the Memory in a 15" MacBook Pro (mid-2009)
( Last edited by EndlessMac; Sep 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM. )

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks so much, olePigeon, I appreciate your instruction and good mentoring. I do feel so self-conscious in this community being my first time with Mac and not being a big hardware person. But once I get good at it I will hopefully be a good and helpful contributor. I have been to the store but have been amazed how novice their tech support is. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just that there is so much they have not been able to answer for me yet. Simon just posted a GREAT post on RAM that is also very helpful on this subject. I am trying to clarify from him whether the 8GB RAM is stable at this point or not. It may not be quite yet.

Since you are kind to help me fit more with this community, would you be so kind to help me with something else, please? How do you put a quote on a response? I have searched everywhere but cannot find a User's Guide that can show me how to quote properly. I tried it once but it did not work at all. Do folks just learn through trial and error? I just do not want to mess anything up and look really dumb. Thanks again for your assistance!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

I am trying to clarify from him whether the 8GB RAM is stable at this point or not. It may not be quite yet.
8GB is stable, but it's very, very expensive from Apple. Get 3rd party sticks from any of the links already provided.
How do you put a quote on a response? I have searched everywhere but cannot find a User's Guide that can show me how to quote properly.
Start by just clicking the little "quote" button on the message you want to quote. It's a simple matter of adding tags [ quote] blah blah [ /quote].

Forum Links
Forum Rules