Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have firmware probs been solved 4 500GB HDD@7200 rpm?

Have firmware probs been solved 4 500GB HDD@7200 rpm?
angela.adelle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2009, 08:49 PM

Hi All, this week (Sep-24) I'm planning on buying my very first MAC. I'm excited and scared at the same time, having been a PC user since they came out. I'm looking at the MBPro 15", Anti-glare, 2.66 gHz and trying to decide between 500GB HDD@7200 rpm and 256GB SSD. Have read that the HDD is still having huge firmware issue and is noisy, noisy. But the SSD doesn't have much capacity and I'm planning on using Parallels constantly. I do not want to partition the drive anytime soon through boot camp.

On one hand, SDD is not a perfect technology yet, Apple isn't using the best SDD in the market, and 256GB capacity is low. I multitask a lot and value efficient moving in/out of windows. On the other hand, the HDD has lots of storage but performance (mostly speed) is low. Neither is ideal but which is best of two evils in your opinion? P.S. I do have the money for the SDD but need to be very smart about where I put my money cuz I just got laid off. What say you? Thanks everyone!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2009, 12:14 PM

For a lot of multitasking and moving quickly between apps, RAM is going to be more significant than disk. Once disk performance matters (you've started swapping) you've already lost the game. Aftermarket upgrades to 8GB are ~$500.

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 04:36 PM

Thanks Mr/Ms Mduell! One quick question, can I upgrade to 8GB after market without losing my Apple Care Warranty? This means I should go for the cheaper drive then huh? Regular 500GB@72K rpm. This is good to know. This really helps, and really, it does make sense. Thank you!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2009, 04:46 PM

You can upgrade both the hard drive and the RAM without voiding your warranty, unless you're really, really stupid about it and manage to break something.

The end user is supposed to be able to perform these upgrades.

angela.adelle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2009, 08:06 PM

Oh, this is great news. I have performed both in my IBM Thinkpads so I probably can do it on a MAC also I bought the parts from IBM because I was an employee and got like 40% discounts. In terms of Apple, do they sell these after market parts or is it much more cost effective to go elsewhere. In terms of upgrading to SDD later I know that it can be more tricky because not all will fit inside the Aluminum Unibody. I also don't want to enclose it in a separate case. Naturally, all this will come later in a few months perhaps. Right now just buying the MBP will leave me broke. Thanks, Spheric Harlot. I know that I have a ton to learn regarding MAC and how to best do things. I'm out of my comfort zone here...so thanks very much --Angela.

Forum Links
Forum Rules