Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > FYI: Bush Opens Double-Digit Lead In TIME Poll

FYI: Bush Opens Double-Digit Lead In TIME Poll
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 05:34 PM

Thought some may like to read this:

New York: For the first time since the Presidential race became a two person contest last spring, there is a clear leader, the latest TIME poll shows. If the 2004 election for President were held today, 52% of likely voters surveyed would vote for President George W. Bush, 41% would vote for Democratic nominee John Kerry, and 3% would vote for Ralph Nader, according to a new TIME poll conducted from Aug. 31 to Sept. 2. Poll results are available on TIME.com and will appear in the upcoming issue of TIME magazine, on newsstands Monday, Sept. 6.

Most important issues: When asked what they consider are the most important issues, 25% of registered voters cited the economy as the top issue, followed by 24% who cited the war on terrorism as the top issue. The situation in Iraq was rated the top issue by 17% of registered voters, moral values issues such as gay marriage and abortion were the top issue for 16% of respondents, and health care was the most important issue for 11% of respondents.

Bush vs. Kerry:
The economy: 47% trust President Bush more to handle the economy, while 45% trust Kerry.
Health care: 48% trust Senator Kerry to handle health care issues, while 42% trust Bush.
Iraq: 53% trust Bush to handle the situation in Iraq, while 41% trust Kerry.
Terrorism: 57% trust Bush to handle the war on terrorism, while 36% trust Kerry.
Understanding the needs of people: 47% said they trust Kerry to understand the needs of people like themselves, while 44% trusted Bush to understand their needs.
Providing strong leadership: 56% said they trust Bush to provide strong leadership in difficult times, while 37% said they trust Kerry to provide leadership in difficult times.
Tax policy: 49% trust Bush to handle tax policy, while 40% trust Kerry.
Commanding the Armed Forces: 54% said they trust Bush to be commander-in-chief of the armed forces, while 39% said they trust Kerry.

Bush on the Issues:
Iraq: Half (50%) of those surveyed approve of the way President Bush is handling the situation in Iraq, while 46% disapprove. In last week�s TIME poll, 48% approved of the way Bush was handling the situation in Iraq and 48% disapproved.
Terrorism: Almost two thirds (59%) said they approve of how President Bush is handling the war on terrorism, while 38% disapprove. Last week�s TIME poll found 55% approved of Bush�s handling of the war on terrorism, while 40% disapproved.
The Economy: Survey respondents were split on the President�s handling of the economy. Almost half (48%) said the approved of Bush�s handling of the economy, while 48% said the disapproved.

Other results include:
Was U.S. Right Going to War with Iraq? Over half of those surveyed (52%) think the U.S. was right in going to war with Iraq, while 41% think the U.S. was wrong to go to war.

Have the United States� actions in Iraq made the world safer? Almost half (45%) think the United States� actions in Iraq have made the world safer, while 45% think the world is more dangerous. In a similar TIME poll taken Aug. 3 � 5, over half (52%) said the world was more dangerous, and 38% said the world was safer.
Link to article here

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:40 PM

Also of note, this happened before last nights speech.

The TIME Poll was conducted August 31 � September 2
Very good news indeed!

Atomic Rooster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:42 PM

Funny...

When the poll's say Kerry is ahead. The only poll that counts is in November.

When the poll's say Bush is ahead well people like Railhead come out.

Where's Moki?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 05:48 PM

Good. It'll get Kerry off his ass and get negative back at them. He got complacent, but the campaign has just now started for real. We've had enough Kerry-hating for the past month, let's have some good Bush-hating now.

And remember that Kerry was up on average about 7 points just a few weeks ago, and even as recent as a few days ago in one poll (poll summary here).

djohnson
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 05:49 PM

Atomic Rooster you make no sense. What is wrong with showing that Bush is in the lead?

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Funny...

Where's Moki?
Heh, both sides do it, I've noticed.

Originally posted by djohnson:
Atomic Rooster you make no sense. What is wrong with showing that Bush is in the lead?
He's not saying there's anything wrong (not really anyway), just pointing out that some people are/might be hypocrites.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 06:00 PM

No accounting for taste, or sense for that matter. Why am I not surprised that Bush is pulling ahead and may even win? Because in the good ol' US of A, mediocrity rises to the top. Microsoft, network TV, McDonald's, Wallmart, ad infinitum. Give the people what they want.

If you aren't completely appalled, then you haven't been paying attention.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 3, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
He's not saying there's anything wrong (not really anyway), just pointing out that some people are/might be hypocrites.
Thanx ELT. At least one person got it.

And Railhead, I'm not pointing a finger at you...but at anyone who discounts polls when losing and brings them up passionately when ahead.

Politicians and their spin doctors are good at this.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 06:27 PM

Let me paraphrase the immortal words of Millenium the Moderator Man:

Bush/Cheney 2004: "They'll do less damage."

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by KaBlooey:
No accounting for taste, or sense for that matter. Why am I not surprised that Bush is pulling ahead and may even win? Because in the good ol' US of A, mediocrity rises to the top. Microsoft, network TV, McDonald's, Wallmart, ad infinitum. Give the people what they want.
Yeah, the USA is so mediocre, that's the answer. You can thank the mediocre US that you are even able to type your crap on the net.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 07:49 PM

Let me paraphrase the immortal words of Millenium the Moderator Man:

Bush/Cheney 2004: "They'll do less damage."
And Millenium happens to be correct. A kerry/edwards victory would set back the WOT by decades probably. Rational people realize this also, which is why Bush will ultimately win.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Yeah, the USA is so mediocre, that's the answer. You can thank the mediocre US that you are even able to type your crap on the net.
Thank you, mediocre US.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 3, 2004, 08:18 PM

And Millenium happens to be correct. A kerry/edwards victory would set back the WOT by decades probably. Rational people realize this also, which is why Bush will ultimately win.
Hmmm...I thought Bush said he couldn't win IT? No wait he said he can. I wish he'd make up his mind. I'm getting nervous with his indecisive leadership.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in639576.shtml

Fippity Floppity...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2004, 08:30 PM

There's only one poll that really matters, and it's not being held for another two months. All the rest, no matter who they're showing ahead, are dangerously close to junk statistics anyway.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2004, 08:34 PM

If the election was held today, 98% of those polled would be very surprised.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 09:09 PM

While that's interesting and humorous, it's a Convention poll. There is a focus, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Then again, it could also mean something. Oh well. He's up ~4% since the pre-convention days.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:24 PM

Funny...

Where's Moki?
Dude, what are you talking about? I post in here quite a bit (I was moving all last week, so i wasn't around at all). Further, I haven't seen any topics about any poll info for EITHER candidate until I posted mine.

Now head to the bathroom and unwad yer panties!

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 10:26 PM

And Railhead, I'm not pointing a finger at you...but at anyone who discounts polls when losing and brings them up passionately when ahead.
Gotcha, but I haven;t posted anything about any polls before, so don't lump me with the knee-jerkers!

Maury

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 3, 2004, 10:32 PM

I agree that the only thing that matters is what will happen in 2 months, but it is worth noting that this poll was taken even before Bush's speech.

Also, the Bush camp should not sit back & relax even though he is ahead in the polls by a significant amount.

Hopefully Bush wins by a significant amount in the elections also, which will mean that I won't have to read any leftist lies about any stealing of elections or any crap like that. It is a given that they will act like miserable sorelosers when they lose. Hell, many of 'em haven't even come to grips with the results of the previous election yet. It might take 'em a decade or two, but they will eventually have to get off their medications and wake up to reality.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 07:28 AM

Apple, The internet, MacNN, your ability to post your mediocre posts in forums.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 4, 2004, 07:30 AM

I agree that the only thing that matters is what will happen in 2 months, but it is worth noting that this poll was taken even before Bush's speech.

Also, the Bush camp should not sit back & relax even though he is ahead in the polls by a significant amount.

Hopefully Bush wins by a significant amount in the elections also, which will mean that I won't have to read any leftist lies about any stealing of elections or any crap like that. It is a given that they will act like miserable sorelosers when they lose. Hell, many of 'em haven't even come to grips with the results of the previous election yet. It might take 'em a decade or two, but they will eventually have to get off their medications and wake up to reality.
Not to mention that they now know that the Dem's over-voted by the thousands.

Basayev's Doom
Banned
Location: Chechnya. So I financed the murder of over 150 children, and the maiming of hundreds more. I do Allah's will.
Sep 5, 2004, 12:29 AM

Dick Morris predicted this on the O'Reilly Factor a couple days ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules