Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX on dual G4 500 with 2940ub SCSI

OSX on dual G4 500 with 2940ub SCSI
svtcontour
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2007, 12:45 AM

I inherited a powermac G4 dual 500Mhz with 768MB RAM and a Radeon 9200LE card. It had a 9GB SCSI boot drive and an Adaptec U2W apple card in there and it was running 10.3.3

Anyway I pulled the other drive out and slipped in a Seagate 10K 73GB SCSI drive I have which works fine (in my PC). I attempted to intall either 10.2 which is an original disc that came with it and it boots funny. It boots with the old apple in the middle of the screen instead of the OSX grey apple... then crashes. I tried 10.3 and similar stuff happens.

If I put back the original 9GB hard drive, it boots fine. I zapped the pram and tried again and no go. Anyone know why this could be? Termination is fine, drive is ID0.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 01:53 AM

That's OS X 10.0 or 10.1. 10.2 Jaguar introduced the grey apple at start up. Now as for why you're getting an old OS X install booting... not sure there. Are you sure it's a 10.2 CD?
Vandelay Industries

svtcontour  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2007, 02:26 AM

OMG you are so right. Ok I was told when I got this computer (which was free so I wont complain) that the origianl OSX disc that came with it was a 10.2 disc and the burned copy was 10.3. I figured I'd reinstall with the 10.2 because it didnt seem to want to read the 10.3 disc.

Anyway after what you said, I went and looked at the supposed 10.2 original disc and indeed its a 10.0 !! Its such fine print that I never saw it.

for now I just put OS9 on there just to ensure all is working with the computer...it went on ok.

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
That's OS X 10.0 or 10.1. 10.2 Jaguar introduced the grey apple at start up. Now as for why you're getting an old OS X install booting... not sure there. Are you sure it's a 10.2 CD?

Forum Links
Forum Rules