Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How did this happen...data usage

How did this happen...data usage
mikebore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 01:13 AM

I have an unlocked iPhone on an Orange tarrif which gives me 30Mb per month.

The first four months were all well within the 30Mb, but last month I used 65Mb (Orange and iPhone agree)

My mail is and always has been set to manual check which I do infrequently, and I don't surf more than a few mins a day. There was certainly no change in my usage pattern, and I have not been abroad at all.

Is it possible that it got "stuck" checking mail on a web site and was downloading without my being aware. Certainly it happens that I might be checking mail or a website while waiting for someone to come, and then put it straight in my pocket when they do.

There was one day when I was out of my office all day, used the phone a bit in the morning including e mail. Was very surprised when I got home in the evening to find the battery completely dead flat. Perhaps it was stuck in a data using mode?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2008, 04:57 AM

Did you get sent some mail with large attachments - music or video files maybe?

mikebore  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2008, 05:21 AM

Thanks for quick reply.

Good thought, it is possible this explains part of it. I didn't get any videos but I send myself a blind copy of all e mails that go out from my Mac, which would of course be picked up on my iPhone as incoming mail. There were about 15Mb of photos in the period which I had e mailed to people (I am a pro photog).

Forum Links
Forum Rules