Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook seems slow

Macbook seems slow
Stephen-I-Am
Sep 30, 2006, 09:19 AM

I have (ok, my wife has) a macbook:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB11.005F.B00
SMC Version: 1.4f10
Serial Number: 4H620185U9C
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I just don't find it too responsive, compared to my dual 1.8 GHz powermac. (The computer is usually plugged into the AC adaptor.) That computer has 1.5 GB RAM. I'm wondering if the powerbook would benefit from more RAM too. Any thoughts?

Stephen

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 30, 2006, 09:23 AM

Let's keep the MacBook issues in the MacBook forum, and NOT in the MacBook Pro forum, ok? Moving...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 09:30 AM

I have the same specs as your wife does, and my computer feels quite responsive. Have you installed any resource hogging applications? User Interface mods?

If you open Activity Monitor somewhere in there you can find out the processes that are running on your computer...any ones taking up a lot of % that shouldn't be?

Good luck,

-Chris
This signature is obsolete.

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 09:40 AM

Hi Stephen,

Perhaps the most significant bottleneck in your system, and indeed everyones system is the hard drive. Unless you have opted for a 7200rpm drive then yu can expect the 'responsiveness' to be low.

The software you use may also be a cause. non-native software will run slower and take longer to load under rosetta emulation.

I have the 17"mbp with standard drive (5400)... also with 2Gb Ram and it still has a few delays in responsiveness. When it is processing data it is superfast though

But you have a core duo man... that isnt the bottleneck. So... solutions.... get a faster HD, use or wait for more native applications for the intel platform.

Thats all i can think of at the moment that translate into something that a user can have control over. Hope it helps

regards,
rob.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 30, 2006, 09:51 AM

Try updating to 10.4.8, there have been reports of that bringing back responsiveness.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2006, 03:09 PM

i've compared a 2.0 MB to my MBP (both with 2 GB of RAM), and for most things they seem very similar in speed. my MBP seems about as fast as a dual 2.3 G5 in univeral binary programs. if she is running a lot of Rosetta apps it would certainly explain it. hard drive reads might be part of it too, but the 5400 RPM drives Apple puts in them aren't bad at all, really, so i kinda doubt a hard drive upgrade is gonna do anything substantial for you.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

exotoxic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 04:14 AM

I agree with Stephen-I-Am, MacBooks are so SLOW!!!
I guess it's bad hardware design...

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by exotoxic View Post
I agree with Stephen-I-Am, MacBooks are so SLOW!!!
I guess it's bad hardware design...
10 out of 10 for trolling...

exotoxic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2006, 05:51 AM

yeah yeah... here you are trolling me
Come on, I’m rough on this one, but this machine is a shame! This Macbook is my second Mac; the first one was an Apple II.
And I just don’t know what have they been doing with a biproc, 1.6 Ghz and 1.5G of ram?!?! Looks just like that Apple II was running much faster…
So I eventually decided to keep with using it as a shell terminal. But…wait I forgot to mention it’s just starting to randomly shutdown… This just looks like a bad joke from some pissed off hardware engineers who can’t stand moving to Intel.

Technology is a religion my friend

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by exotoxic View Post
yeah yeah... here you are trolling me

lol, k

Stephen-I-Am  (op)
Oct 18, 2006, 10:00 AM

Hi (original poster here). The latest update does seem to have made a difference. I think next time I'll opt for the faster HD though.

Stephen

chadseld
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2006, 11:48 AM

I have a 2 GHz macbook and a 1.83 GHz intel iMac. The Macbook feels more responsive than the iMac. Both feel more responsive than my old computer (2x2.5 GHz G5 Tower). I would reformat and reinstall OS X from the install discs that came with your macbook. Also, open the Activity Monitor and make sure there isn't some process taking up the CPU.
If your computer stops responding for a long time, turn it off and then back on. - Microsoft

Forum Links
Forum Rules