Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The OFFICIAL iPhone Apps Wishlist

The OFFICIAL iPhone Apps Wishlist
Frans
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 09:17 AM

After 10 years of Palm Pilots, Palms and Treos I'm really looking forward to the roll out of the (3G?) iPhone in Europe. However, there are a few apps that are missing and that I'm very much depending on / happy with. I'm sure other people will have similar questions so let's bundel our wishes for apps on the iPhone...

My wishlist is:
- Call Scheduler
I keep a list of calls I have to make in the future with Natara Comet. They built it into their app on my request. When it's time to call I get an alarm, and with one 'click' the call starts. It's like having a secretary on your phone. Any Nokia has this feature.
- Calendar Week View
I just need the overview of the week, not in 'blocked time' but with the name of the appointment visible. In Datebk 5 there is an option for a week view that has the layout of a standard agenda. Yes the letters are small, but my eyes are good and the iPhone resolution is even better than my Treo 650, so please please an app that gives me weekview.
- Trip DeLuxe
Great app to keep my mileage and filter costs in excel on the desktop for different customers
- Turn phone off/on scheduler
With Treoguard every day my phone turns itself of at 23h and turns itself on at 11h. It not only saves battery, it also is a great way to educate people around me that it's no use to call me before 11...

That's about it. Can anyone built this in a Web-app?
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 4, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frans View Post
- Call Scheduler
I keep a list of calls I have to make in the future with Natara Comet. They built it into their app on my request. When it's time to call I get an alarm, and with one 'click' the call starts. It's like having a secretary on your phone. Any Nokia has this feature.
To those who have an iPhone: do iCal alarms/reminders pop up on the on the device? If so, you could probably schedule these on your machine (possibly even on the iPhone) and it would achieve the same effect without mucking about with a separate app.

If not, maybe it would work as a web-based service that you could sign up for and schedule the calls online, and then have it email you at the requested times. By including the number you wish to dial in the email, you could just tap it and it would be able to dial. This would rely on constant EDGE/WiFi coverage though.

- Calendar Week View
I just need the overview of the week, not in 'blocked time' but with the name of the appointment visible. In Datebk 5 there is an option for a week view that has the layout of a standard agenda. Yes the letters are small, but my eyes are good and the iPhone resolution is even better than my Treo 650, so please please an app that gives me weekview.
Doesn't the iPhone already do that? Image of Week and Month view from ThinkSecret

If not, it would be hard, probably impossible for a web app to access the iPhone's calendar data to do what you wish. Unless you have all your calendars synced with something like Google Calendar and use it through there.

- Trip DeLuxe
Great app to keep my mileage and filter costs in excel on the desktop for different customers
Seems like a very specific app. Doesn't rule out a web-based solution.

- Turn phone off/on scheduler
With Treoguard every day my phone turns itself of at 23h and turns itself on at 11h. It not only saves battery, it also is a great way to educate people around me that it's no use to call me before 11...
Definitely not possible with a web based app. You'll have to turn your phone off/on manually until Apple decides to update the iPhone with that functionality.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Jul 4, 2007 at 10:17 AM. )

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 10:27 AM

tomtom

ssh client

mplayer / VLC

use as a bluetooth remote - to control mac / living room PC / TV

bluetooth proximity sensing - so when the phone is out of range, iTunes on the desktop will pause, screensaver will come one - reverse this when back in range
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2007, 01:00 PM

I'd like a proper app newsreader. Safari will load rss feeds and display them, but id like a news reader that checked feeds every 30 minutes automatically.

Other than that im happy.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 03:57 PM

I'd like to see Skype but that will never happen.

Frans  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 04:33 PM

Thx for replying. This OFFICIAL iPhone Apps Wishlist can be read by the good folks at Apple to, so it's not necessary to have web based solution :-)

• Weekview
Doesn't the iPhone already do that? Image of Week and Month view from ThinkSecret

No, it doesn't, it makes a list of meetings. When you have a lot of meetings you see 1 or 2 days. I need the week-view to be able to make appointments with people, it's very impractical to have to click on a day to see if you are available. The week view let's you browse your agenda.
After 18 years of MS-DOS and Windows working very happy on Mac, now on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz - 2Gb memory - 200 Gb HD with a 20 and 23" screen. I've been waiting for the iPhone for quite a while, let's role it out in Europe. Just one wish left for now: a light mac (2-3 pounds) with 8 hours of working time. They can do it... :-)

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 05:47 PM

Treo apps I can't part with:

MetrO - a public transport database; tells you which train/tram/bus to take to go from place to place in hundreds of cities.

Sailing Clicker - to control Keynote, Powerpoint, iTunes, system volume on my Mac. sure, all Macs now come with a remote control (but without a screen, so i can't read powerpoint notes or see my playlist)

Ultralingua language dictionaries (for travelling)

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2007, 08:18 PM

A netflix app would be cool - should be EASY with ajax
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Boris_Noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 08:20 AM

I'd like to see more of The Filter on my iPhone - this software can already fill my iPhone with decent playlists automatically - but I'd love to see the software actually on my phone as opposed to just a plug-in for iTunes on my Mac.

Please happen!!

thefourthtenor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2007, 12:33 PM

(Post Removed)

Forum Links
Forum Rules