Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Journaling software?

Journaling software?
kman42
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 12:12 AM

My wife and I just had a baby and my wife is trying to keep a journal of her development and life in general. She started out using Word, but it is not very satisfactory for her purposes. She wants something that will organize by date easily and allow her to drop in some photos. She isn't really interested in a blog on the net, but maybe some sort of blogging software would work? She has no html skills nor the patience to learn.

I googled and found MacJournal. Thoughts on this app?

thanks,
kman

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2007, 02:00 AM

I like Journaler, but there are a lot out there.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2007, 10:48 AM

I'd just go with a WordPress blog using the generic template. You can password protect the blog if you don't want anybody to be able to see it. This way, you don't have to deal with any proprietary formats, and WordPress includes a WYSIWYG editing toolbar so that writing entries would be similar to using Word.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Dec 12, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
My wife and I just had a baby and my wife is trying to keep a journal of her development and life in general. She started out using Word, but it is not very satisfactory for her purposes. She wants something that will organize by date easily and allow her to drop in some photos. She isn't really interested in a blog on the net, but maybe some sort of blogging software would work? She has no html skills nor the patience to learn.

I googled and found MacJournal. Thoughts on this app?

thanks,
kman
MacJournal is a very nice piece of software. Its well established, and has continued to evolve over the years.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2007, 11:17 AM

I'd recommend Journler: Journler - Wherever Life Takes You it's free for personal use and allows easy entry according to date and adding images, text, movies, audio and all that malarky. I'd use it, but my life is too boring to chronicle.

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2007, 11:49 PM

I used to use MacJournal for for a database of extraneous info. I'd echo the remark that it's nice software. (I ended up getting DevonThink for my data-keeping needs.)

Give MacJournal a look.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 10:17 AM

Agreed. Free is good and the set of tools provided to you are quite easy to use. Support of smart folders is especially a nice touch.

Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post
I'd recommend Journler: Journler - Wherever Life Takes You it's free for personal use and allows easy entry according to date and adding images, text, movies, audio and all that malarky. I'd use it, but my life is too boring to chronicle.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules