Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Losing connection to mouse?

Losing connection to mouse?
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2012, 11:16 AM

Two days ago, I started having two intermittent problems that are probably related (given the timing):

(1) my MBP stops talking to my Logitech mouse... I can still move the mouse cursor via the track pad, but it won't see the mouse until I unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in... very annoying... happens every 5 to 15 minutes of use

(2) less often, my mouse cursor will stop responding for about 20-30s... and when it starts responding again, problem #1 always occurs (the connection to the mouse is lost, though the trackpad still works fine)

As a result, I restarted the machine and updated all my software.
But the intermittent problems remain.

Any suggestions?
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2012, 05:56 PM

Sounds like something is failing with the mouse. How old and heavily used is it? Also, does this mouse have special drivers, or pref pane? If so, try re-installing drivers and resetting prefs.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2012, 08:22 PM

The mouse is a Logitech MX500 multi-button mouse. It does have a driver... and it is at least 5 years old.
I'll try swapping it with another one and see what happens. Thanks... mouse dying had not occurred to me since I've never had any of my many Logitech MX500's die.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Forum Links
Forum Rules