Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can i download the install dvd that came with my MacBook Pro?

Can i download the install dvd that came with my MacBook Pro?
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2012, 04:19 AM

I want to wipe one of my MacBook Pros clean... unfortunately, it seems I have kept the install DVDs for all but that one. (And of course, the install DVD's for my other MacBook Pros don't work on it. And the OS X Lion that I bought is evidently only capable of upgrading, not installing from scratch.) Sigh.

Given the install DVDs only work with the matching hardware, is there somewhere on Apple's website that I can download the install DVD for my MacBook Pro?
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2012, 04:47 AM

You can order them from Apple Support for a nominal fee.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2012, 06:16 AM

Which Lion did you buy? Regardless, if you upgrade it first, it will create a Lion recovery partition which you can then use to wipe the boot drive and it will download another copy of the Lion installer for you if it needs to.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can order them from Apple Support for a nominal fee.
Order physical discs? How old-fashioned! (And slow.)
Sometimes Apple lags behind Microsoft (where everything is available for download).

However, I haven't found that option either at Apple Support.
I'll look harder.
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2012, 08:30 PM

If you mean wiping the HD, why not put it in one of the other MPs and wipe from there?

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2012, 10:31 PM

Hmmm... so, if I swap the drive into a newer latest gen MacBook Pro, use its install disks to wipe it clean and install, and then swap that drive back into an generation older MacBook Pro, will it run fine? Or will it tell me it can't run on that older hardware?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2012, 01:41 AM

That'll work. Just stick it in a ten-dollar external enclosure and hook it up to the newer machine.

OR: boot the older machine into target disk mode by holding the T key on startup, and hook it up to the newer one via FireWire. Treat it like an external drive and install the OS.

No disassembly required at all.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2012, 05:13 AM

No disassembly required with my suggestion either. And no second machine.

The thing about the physical discs in question is that they are different for each new batch of machines. Apple would have to post hundreds of different images for download and a good percentage of people would download the wrong one anyway.

Microsoft does not have this problem because their OS discs are generic. The Apple ones have hardware specific OS builds and hardware tests on them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2012, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That'll work. Just stick it in a ten-dollar external enclosure and hook it up to the newer machine.

OR: boot the older machine into target disk mode by holding the T key on startup, and hook it up to the newer one via FireWire. Treat it like an external drive and install the OS.

No disassembly required at all.
Thanks, that worked! Well, partially...

After it finished installing and then booted up fine on the external drive, I then tried to put in the Applications DVD to install the iLife stuff. When I double-clicked on the Bundled Software package, it ran for a bit and then gave me a non-descript error and suggested that I try installing again.

So, I rebooted onto the external drive, and then tried again... same result.

Any suggestions on how to get the apps installed?
Can I just copy them from my other MBP? Or do they need the installer to install them properly?

Thanks again!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2012, 02:04 PM

Use the migration assistant. Its in the Utilities folder. You can migrate just the apps, but you'll get every app from the other MBP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules