Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot off optical drive

I can't get my MacBook Pro to boot off optical drive
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2012, 02:13 AM

Whenever I try to boot my MacBook Pro off of optical disk, it freezes.
If I try to startup while holding down C, then it freezes when the screen is light gray.
If I try to startup while holding down option, then select optical drive, it freezes with the mouse over the up arrow button pointing at the optical drive.

If I boot on the hard drive, then load up the DVD, I can see it fine... the optical disk is working and does read the disk.
So, if I put in my OS X 10.5 install DVD in while booted up, I can double-click on the Install OS X icon and have it bring up the window offering to restart the machine. If I do that, then it restarts the machine and freezes on the sam light gray solid screen as above.

Any suggestions on why I can't boot off optical disk?
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2012, 04:53 AM

I should have waited until I was awake, I misinterpreted the topic of this thread.
( Last edited by davidflas; Jun 15, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Posting while not fully awake)
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2012, 05:10 AM

Putting a hard drive in your optical bay is not going to help you boot from a DVD.

Have you checked the DVD in another Mac?
Have you tried more than one in your MBP?

Are there any EFI firmware updates available in Software Update?
After that its probably time to let a genius or technician take a look.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Have you checked the DVD in another Mac?
Have you tried more than one in your MBP?

Are there any EFI firmware updates available in Software Update?
After that its probably time to let a genius or technician take a look.
Yes (my newer MBP boots up on it fine).
Yes (I tried both the Mac OS X Install DVD and a Diskwarrior DVD),
No firmware updates.

Sigh... I guess I need to take a drive to a genius bar (pardon the pun).
Mac Nut since before color Macs, working for UT Austin Microcenter supporting Mac users

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2012, 02:02 PM

If you do have another Mac and a firewire cable, you could try booting yours from a DVD inserted in the other Mac, but if its crashing while in the EFI boot manager, its not a good sign. You could look for a firmware recovery disc to download otherwise firmware issues only get fixed by logic board replacements.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules