Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 550 verses the G3 800????

G4 550 verses the G3 800????
Javi_Malcolm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 05:15 PM

I'm looking to switch from the G4 550 with radeon16 mb and a bus speed of only 100mhrz.. I like the ibook's size and convenience but I'm still edgy on the processor performance difference??? the new ibook has the same bus, better L2 cache, and way better graphics controller! Anyone think I shouldn't switch or know if the processors are close???

I'm giving it to my brother so I wouldn't really lose it but I need something smaller I can cart around at school. I've never been able to finmd an acurate bench mark test on the 550 G4 verses the 800 G3...

olli2
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2002, 05:39 PM

I think the G4 architecture can rule over the G3 architecture when you have an application that uses AltiVec. It can be the use of filters of Photoshop, converting/editing large sound files, etc. Usually the difference should be in minutes, like it finishes the job in 10 minutes with G3 and 7 minutes with G4 clocked at the same speed.
I would say there's no significant difference if you run everyday office applications.

Javi_Malcolm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2002, 06:03 PM

thanks for the info I think I'm definitly going ot go with the ibool 800 with the optional 512 mem chip. Thanks again..

rytc
Senior User
Dec 11, 2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Javi_Malcolm:
thanks for the info I think I'm definitly going ot go with the ibool 800 with the optional 512 mem chip. Thanks again..
I've seen in other posts on this board that people switching from TiBook 400/500s to iBooks 800 have said the iBook feels much faster

Mac_Nacho
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2002, 02:20 PM

I just received the 800MHz ibook with 640MB I can tell you that for everyday stuff (surfing, office, email, itunes, etc) there's no noticeable difference against my Ti667. Though iTunes encodes CDs faster in the g4. However, the size of the ibook is perfect and seems a little sturdier too. I'm selling the Ti, the ibook is perfect for me, it's an incredible machine and ahh the screen, amazing.
regards
iMac 1GHz 17" Super Drive
iPod 5GB

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2002, 03:04 PM

I'm selling the Ti[/B]
How much?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2002, 04:28 PM

A processor, alone, does not a computer make. A PowerBook, in any form, is more machine than an iBook.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
A processor, alone, does not a computer make. A PowerBook, in any form, is more machine than an iBook.
Well, despite the fact that I think the G3 is dead, I'd take an iBook 800 over a G4 500 Titanium PB any day.

The only thing good about the G4 500 Ti is the DVD-RAM read capability. And obviously, an iBook 800 is much more desirable than any G3 PowerBook.

For average stuff I'd probably prefer the 800 over the 550 as well, but if your needs are Altivec-dependent then the decision is harder.

Javi_Malcolm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2002, 10:21 PM

I'm switching for sure now!! I would be using it for everyday stuff and taking it to school on top of everything else as well.. Only one mre question though....where can I get a 512 ram fro cheaper?? And would it make that much different to get pc133 or pc100 speed ram??? Apple sells it for so much more on line and I read somewhere that it's better to put the PC133 in the ibook because it doesn't cut off the performance at 100 incase it ever overstepped to say 110 or a little less.. Any opinions???

OSXDamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2002, 02:27 AM

ramseeker.com - 512 goes for like $80.

As for the iBook vs the Ti. Per reports(Macworld), the 800 iBook runs a hair slower than the 667Ti. And in some apps, it ran faster. If you just want to spend money, switch. Otherwise, why waste the money? Same machine. Is size worth $1299 plus tax???
Regards,
OSXDamon

Javi_Malcolm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2002, 10:38 PM

Definetly since the switch is going to cost absolutely nothing... My bro is buying me the ibook since I'm basically handing the Ti550 to him in return..

Cipher13
Dec 13, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Heh. For your purposes, sure. That's completely subjective.

Forum Links
Forum Rules