Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Remind me again why people like cats

Remind me again why people like cats
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 06:41 AM

I awoke a 2AM last night to sounds of shrieking that seemed to be coming from inside my bedroom. It wasn't either of my kids, and it sounded like a moderately large bird. It's somewhat startling to awake to these noises at this hour. Looking around the room, I can see the cat at the corner of where the dresser meets the wall, peering down the gap. Turn on the lights to see a bloodied rabbit. The cat has brought a rabbit into the house, taken bites out of it and now has it trapped. I have rabbit fur and blood spatter on the floor.

Remind me again why people like cats. This is hardly this cat's first victim. Lizards are regularly dismembered or disemboweled and left to hobble around until they die. She's going to catch a squirrel or bird one of these days. My wife disagrees with my argument that in terms of quantity of animal life saved, it's best to have the cat put down.

(Note that this is largely an indoor cat, but the crafty feline has figured out how to detach the screen from the pool cage)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 07:28 AM

I'm impressed - a rabbit, they're fast and difficult for a cat to bring down..

People keep cats for a number of reasons. They are hunters after all and are doing what their instinct is telling them to do. The reason why the cat brings it the dead animal into the house is to show you its kill and be praised. I had a cat that caught, birds, squirrels and rabbits as well and every time it would bring its trophy in so it can be praised. I wouldn't be angry at the cat. It does not know any better. the old adage of the survival of the fittest seems to work the best here.

Personally I like cats

- Cats the other white meat.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
My wife disagrees with my argument that in terms of quantity of animal life saved, it's best to have the cat put down.
I hope you're joking. If you really wanted to get rid of it, find it a new home.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I hope you're joking. If you really wanted to get rid of it, find it a new home.
Is that .. no .. it can't be ... but ...

Dakar the Fourth being serious ? Has someone hijacked his account ?

I'm scared.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:38 AM

Yes, but then the cat would still be killing animals. You see, the most humane thing to do is to euthanize the animal that insists on killing other animals for pleasure. Think of this cat as the serial killer of the animal world. I'd be saving more animal lives by doing it, so it would be a net good.

(Have no fear, my wife loves the cat, and nothing will come of this, despite the clear danger to all wildlife near my house)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:40 AM

Yes, but then the cat would still be killing animals.
Not if the new home knows how to keep it in the house properly.

Cipher13
Jun 18, 2008, 08:43 AM

I don't know about in your part of the world, but here cats are a HUGE pest. Letting them outside is pretty irresponsible. They should all be put down, really.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Personally I like cats

They're a delicacy on the planet Melmac.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:52 AM

My parents had a male cat that killed a rabbit and brought it right to my father. He didn't even play with it. Just two little holes in the rabbit's neck, otherwise a very clean kill. The rabbit was still warm when the cat brought it in.

My father did not like the cat before that. His opinion of him changed considerably after he brought him the rabbit.*

* Dad loves rabbit. The rabbit made a tasty dinner.

One other fun story. When my brother was living in his apartment he once heard a loud noise outside. He went out and saw the bush downstairs shaking. He thought, "Oh no, Puck (one of his cats) is fighting with the neighbor's cat again." Suddenly a raccoon goes hurtling across the yard and four cats (Puck, the aforementioned neighbor's cat, and two others) go running across the yard after it. Two of the pack separated and circled around the raccoon while the other two jumped on it. Then the other two joined in and brought the raccoon down.

I asked my brother if Puck had ever shown interest in raccoons before. He said, "heck no, he's smart enough to know that one cat doesn't stand a chance against a full grown raccoon." But four cats... It was the first time he'd ever seen four cats work together to go after something bigger than any of them.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 08:53 AM

Personally I like cats

Is your real name Gordon Shumway?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
They're a delicacy on the planet Melmac.
Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Is your real name Gordon Shumway?
Holy ****, two ALF references within minutes of each other!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 09:01 AM

Holy ****, two ALF references within minutes of each other!
Eh, I couldn't resist. Sosumi.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Sosumi.
meep!

(So was it coincidence or did you did it because of the other one?)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 09:13 AM

I guess I'm in the minority. I have to cats, both spayed/neutered and so they're both very calm. I hardly even notice them half the time, since they keep to themselves mainly. Never really had a problem in the last 5 years.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 09:18 AM

meep!

(So was it coincidence or did you did it because of the other one?)
Coincidence.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 09:21 AM

(Note that this is largely an indoor cat, but the crafty feline has figured out how to detach the screen from the pool cage)
And you, a human with intellect and an opposable thumb can't figure out how to stop the cat from getting outdoors?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 09:39 AM

People keep cats for a number of reasons. They are hunters after all and are doing what their instinct is telling them to do. The reason why the cat brings it the dead animal into the house is to show you its kill and be praised. I had a cat that caught, birds, squirrels and rabbits as well and every time it would bring its trophy in so it can be praised. I wouldn't be angry at the cat. It does not know any better. the old adage of the survival of the fittest seems to work the best here.

Personally I like cats

Yeah, except they were introduced to this habitat by us humans and as a result wreak havoc on what few birds and other animals remain. These are animals that did not evolve with small abundant predators around.

Survival of the fittest doesn't apply when we change the rules for our own amusement. Keep cats inside.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2008, 09:43 AM

My wife really isn't a fan of cats.. A few years back, she went for a run with our pup. A cat jumped out of the bushes, and attacked her. This is the back of her leg (used her leg like a scratching post, and notice the tooth marks):

(its a little gross, but not completely nasty..)

T'was no fun at all.
( Last edited by MarkLT1; Jun 18, 2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: wrap in spoiler tags..)

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
And you, a human with intellect and an opposable thumb can't figure out how to stop the cat from getting outdoors?
I suppose that if I stuck my thumb up the cat's ass, it wouldn't be able to get out anymore.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 10:29 AM

Yes, but then the cat would still be killing animals. You see, the most humane thing to do is to euthanize the animal that insists on killing other animals for pleasure. Think of this cat as the serial killer of the animal world. I'd be saving more animal lives by doing it, so it would be a net good.

(Have no fear, my wife loves the cat, and nothing will come of this, despite the clear danger to all wildlife near my house)
There's the flawed logic in your thinking. Cats do not kill for pleasure; it's hard wired into them to kill small animals. The only reason most domestic cats don't do that is because we confine them indoors. There's a loose cat running around the neighborhood, and I've frequently seen it go after birds, rodents, etc. There is no such thing as domesticated cat, in the truest sense of the word. We just need to fool ourselves into thinking so, in order to justify our need of dominion over other species.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Cats do not kill for pleasure; it's hard wired into them to kill small animals.
The cat does not eat its prey, therefore it is not doing it for survival. The cat continues to injure the prey until the prey doesn't move enough to interest it anymore and then it simply leaves it alone. It doesn't kill things - it just hurts them to the point that they're likely to die. It's really pretty sick. It treats them as toys.

Zee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 10:45 AM

if everything that kills for pleasure should be put down... the human species woulda been long gone by now.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 11:25 AM

The cat does not eat its prey, therefore it is not doing it for survival. The cat continues to injure the prey until the prey doesn't move enough to interest it anymore and then it simply leaves it alone. It doesn't kill things - it just hurts them to the point that they're likely to die. It's really pretty sick. It treats them as toys.
Of course it doesn't eat it's prey, you're feeding it. If it were a feral cat, it would eat it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Of course it doesn't eat it's prey, you're feeding it. If it were a feral cat, it would eat it.
See, but my dog doesn't hunt prey because she doesn't need to. The cat continues to do it, despite not needing to. It's clearly not connected to the need to eat.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 11:42 AM

No, it's connected to it's predator instinct.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 11:55 AM

See, but my dog doesn't hunt prey because she doesn't need to. The cat continues to do it, despite not needing to. It's clearly not connected to the need to eat.
Because cats are not domesticated animals. They're relationships to humans is fundamentally different. Dogs, because they are pack animals, see the human as the alpha and seek to please. Cats aren't pack animals, so they have no alpha to follow. They're relationship to humans is symbiotic: they get something from us and we get something from them.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:09 PM

Cats are entertaining pets. I keep mine indoors, safe from cars and other animals, no fleas.

wallinbi, your cat has outsmarted you. Being the dominant species, I'm sure you can figure out a way to keep that cat inside.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:11 PM

"Ode to Spot" by Lieutenant Commander Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature.
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents.
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array,
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:12 PM

The Dog's Diary:

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary:

Day 983 of my captivity.
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Evil People!!

Day 984 of my captivity.
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Day 985 of my captivity.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now......

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
"Ode to Spot" by Lieutenant Commander Data

Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature.
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents.
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.
Oh Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array,
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.
Being a Philistine, this about the only piece of poetry I have genuinely enjoyed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 12:39 PM

The Dog's Diary:

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary:

Day 983 of my captivity.
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Evil People!!

Day 984 of my captivity.
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Day 985 of my captivity.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now......
That about sums it up, in a way...

I've had many dogs and cats (plus many other species of things, living and otherwise).
While dogs are the most fun, they can easily be bribed. The cats that I've had required a period of relationship building - it seems like I had to earn their trust. That intrigued me in a way, and I think I've been a cat person ever since.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 12:42 PM

wallinbi, your cat has outsmarted you. Being the dominant species, I'm sure you can figure out a way to keep that cat inside.
Next time you're in the area, feel free to stop by and try your hand. I suspect you will not be successful. The large screen enclosure is simply too much of a liability when it comes to the cat.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 02:58 PM

Sounds like you need a friend like me. Moved recently and put my inconsiderate prick neighbors on notice (after asking nicely). Cat comes in my yard, cat could fall into a box of broken glass and razors. I can not stand assholes who think it's no big deal for their "pets" to crap, vomit and kill animals on my property. For cat owners that can't stand assholes like me... when I start shitting in your yard or screwing my girlfriend outside your window at 2am you'll have a valid gripe.

Oh, yeah, as for the topic. There is no reason to like a cat.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 03:46 PM

I hate cats, but cats are nowhere near as annoying as some of their bizarre owners.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 03:57 PM

I'm surprised it took this long...

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I can not stand assholes who think it's no big deal for their "pets" to crap, vomit and kill animals on my property.
Do you not have any wild animals where you live? Between the armadillos, turkeys, deer, and vultures that live in this area, I'm not sure what bother a cat really is. The armadillos dig holes all over your yard and burrow under your house. The turkeys leave their liquipoop on the sidewalk. The deer eat all of your flowers and bushes and run into cars. The vultures signal each other when they find edibles on trash day and then proceed to make a huge mess. The gators usually get hauled away before they reach a dangerous size, and despite reports of wolves, I've never seen one.

For those of you that are going to mention the risk to my cat's safety from some of these animals, I say this: what goes around comes around. Little furball kinda deserves it after what she's done to various other animals.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 05:53 PM

Do you not have any wild animals where you live? Between the armadillos, turkeys, deer, and vultures that live in this area, I'm not sure what bother a cat really is. The armadillos dig holes all over your yard and burrow under your house. The turkeys leave their liquipoop on the sidewalk. The deer eat all of your flowers and bushes and run into cars. The vultures signal each other when they find edibles on trash day and then proceed to make a huge mess. The gators usually get hauled away before they reach a dangerous size, and despite reports of wolves, I've never seen one.
I can't say I've seen any wild turkey or vultures here in Toronto. Raccoons are everywhere, including a mated pair that like farking right outside my window, and it sounds like an animal being eaten alive by another animal.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2008, 06:16 PM

Do you not have any wild animals where you live?
I do indeed. The difference is that I can put out a trap that violently crushes a rat in half and no one bats an eye. Shave a trespassing cat and I've got every (destined to forever be) single woman on the block pressing charges.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 06:51 PM

Then try shaving the whole cat, not just giving them brazilians, you sicko.

The cats in this area know my land is hostile territory.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 18, 2008, 07:16 PM

I personally am a dog person. I have never owned a cat, but my girlfriend does, and it just seems like it doesn't have a personality. That's just from my experience though.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 18, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Remind me again why people like cats
"Again"?!?!

Don't be fooled that second time my good man.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 10:00 PM

( Last edited by wallinbl; Jun 18, 2008 at 10:13 PM. )

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2008, 10:24 PM

Aw, poor thing.

andi*pandi
Jun 18, 2008, 10:27 PM

I have indoor cats and love them. However, I'd love to find a way to dissuade the feral cats we have in the neighborhood from digging in my flowerbeds. Anyone try any of the sprays etc out there?

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 12:22 AM

I've had surprising good luck with double ot spray.

@Face

One of these days, my friend... I will visit you for a handshake. And local prostitute recommendations.

Starsixer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2008, 03:18 AM

armadillo, turkey, deer, vultures, gators, wolves? are you Grizzly Adams? Mick Dundee? Indiana Jones? but srsly where do you live?

I have indoor cats and love them. However, I'd love to find a way to dissuade the feral cats we have in the neighborhood from digging in my flowerbeds. Anyone try any of the sprays etc out there?
i hear anti-freeze works nicely

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Starsixer View Post
armadillo, turkey, deer, vultures, gators, wolves? are you Grizzly Adams? Mick Dundee? Indiana Jones? but srsly where do you live?
In a suburban area in Florida. You'd be surprised how much wildlife is around. There are several wooded areas with no houses in parts of my neighborhood, and that seems to be plenty enough to become a habitat.

andi*pandi
Jun 19, 2008, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Starsixer View Post
i hear anti-freeze works nicely
yes, but I'm sure that wouldn't do the flowers any good either.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2008, 12:10 PM

Instinct does not equal pleasure.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2008, 11:56 PM

What a stupid statement.

Either keep it indoors or give to someone who actually understands cats.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Forum Links
Forum Rules