Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Rate my iPhone car setup

Rate my iPhone car setup
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 12:52 PM

Hellllloooo. Getting an iPhone this week, and I've been trying to work out a car audio solution for myself that doesn't require me to get anything installed on my leased car. Here is what I've come up with.

The Car: 2010 Honda Accord LX. Leased.

Phone: iPhone 4G

What I want: a) power and audio out b) a remote c) dash or window mount

Solution:

Power and audio out solutions are easy to find. I like the Griffin AutoPilot because it looks nice, has a long cord and buttons, and ha the audio out on the base so I can connect to my car's (horribly placed in the glove box) AUX input.

Same goes for mounts. I'll probably get a suction cup clipy type mount, one that'll allow me to also have a thin case on the iPhone. Again, easy to find.

Now the big kicker has been finding a wireless remote. I hate reaching for or messing with things when driving. A little remote that I could velcro onto my steering wheel would make life much much better. The problem being that there are only a couple solutions and they all kind of suck. Griffin makes one, but the setup is centered around a little short flexy arm which only goes about 6 inches away from the AC port. Kensinton makes one as well, but it looks darned ugly and the rote leaves much to be desired.

Which leads me to the Scosche Wireless iPod RF Remote. The remote has a lot of options as well as looking nice. The receiver allows you to plug in a standard iPod/ iPhone 30 pin cable, so I could hook up power as well as run audio out through the AC adaptor (and to my AUX jack).

Can anyone think of a better setup? Or something else with a remote?

ibook_steve
Jun 20, 2010, 01:11 PM

I think you meant "car" setup. I've fixed the title.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 02:31 PM

do'h!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2010, 06:01 PM

Well the best solution would be to replace the entire OEM stereo with a head unit with Bluetooth. But that's pretty much impossible with the current Accord... Honda isn't a fan of using current entertainment technology.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Well the best solution would be to replace the entire OEM stereo with a head unit with Bluetooth. But that's pretty much impossible with the current Accord... Honda isn't a fan of using current entertainment technology.
If I was buying a car, I would. Heck, I would have just gotten one with USB on it. (Though the 2010 does play nice with MP3 CDs, which I've been using the last month or so.)

But sadly I'm leasing the car and putting that much money into it would be pointless. But I totally agree with your post.

zacharace
Jun 21, 2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
If I was buying a car, I would. Heck, I would have just gotten one with USB on it. (Though the 2010 does play nice with MP3 CDs, which I've been using the last month or so.)

But sadly I'm leasing the car and putting that much money into it would be pointless. But I totally agree with your post.
In this case, yeah, I'd just go with the Scosche--can't seem to recommend anything better. Just don't lease your next car

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 01:56 PM

Any of the devices that charge and have dock audio output for the iPhone compatible with charging an iPad? We're going on a cross-country trip and want to listen to music/charge our iPhones/iPads.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by zacharace View Post
In this case, yeah, I'd just go with the Scosche--can't seem to recommend anything better. Just don't lease your next car
I would buy a car if I expected to live in the same country for more than three years. Chances are I'll be off somewhere else then. Plus, leasing a car isn't such a bad idea. I pay less in car payments than my sister does, for a far far far newer and better car. She'll be lucky to sell it for anything when she's paid it off.

Oddly my car salesman gave some great advice (for young people). Either buy a car and use it until it falls apart OR lease a car. The biggest mistake you can make as a young person is flipping around investments. Lease a car and buy a house/apartment, because at least then your big investment will actually increase in value over time, unlike a car which does nothing but lose value.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys and gals. Once I actually get my hands on an iPhone I'll order all these things. (It would also help to start getting paid this next week....)

Forum Links
Forum Rules