Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Question: What kind of theme do you really want to see made?

Question: What kind of theme do you really want to see made?
NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:21 PM

Ok, so I'm thinking about working on some mockups for a new original theme in the next few weeks and I thought I might as well get some feedback on what everyone thinks would be the "ideal theme" would be, or what kind of theme you just crave, because I know everyone is wanting new themes right now (me too).

I don't know if I have the time to build the whole theme from scratch, but once I have some mockups we'll see if I can get some help. I know mac15 has offered to help.

Ok toss some ideas for; colors, if it should be dark or light, minimal or industrial... any general ideas, and any random ideas. Just send them my way.
I've got ideas of my own too, but I really want to see what the demand is for before I get too into anything. I'll look over what you post and use any really cool ideas I like, that may pop-up, and try to gear the design to the general demand.

Or if there's any demand for me tweaking my contest entry (Mjolnir) and making it?

Thanks!
click one

bastion
Jul 18, 2004, 09:24 PM

Something Asian/Oriental would be nice.
Cheers,
Nick.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 09:29 PM

Mjolnir rocked! Make that please!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

eDave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2004, 09:57 PM

Nothing metal, nothing black. Metal is everywhere, and black just never seems to work quite right. Maybe something in some nice earth tones (a la Joe's old Shire concept?).

Just my $0.02...

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 10:30 PM

I would like to see a nice theme without the graphite, metal, aqua typical style but a cool theme like Inspiriat modded for OSX and maybe a totally original theme with out all the old styles.
( Last edited by Makki; Jul 18, 2004 at 11:11 PM. )

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2004, 11:45 PM

how about a pin-stripe theme? that line art stuff alot of customizers put on cars...
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 12:14 AM

I'd like to see a theme based on something... a movie, a type of food/costume/building/cultural icon, something like that. A "themed theme" if you will. There are a lot of themes that start out from the get-go with the goals of looking good and being usable, and while those are important, if you lose sight of the creative aspect you end up with a lot of really boring themes that all look the same. I want a theme I can look at and be instantly reminded of a familiar thing. Whether that's something like "TK-421" which was previewed a while back, or the maybe-or-maybe-not-getting-made Star Trek theme, or something as simple (yet still difficult) as a water or wood theme, themed themes are fun. There are quite a few generic themes that are excellent (I'm using SIRO right now, and have been for a few weeks), but they tend to get boring and all similar to each other. So whatever you do, don't make another "simple, non-obtrusive gray" theme or another dark/black theme!

That mockup of a "Smooth Stripes" theme comes to mind... thick black borders, smooth cel-shaded fill colors... basically, aqua but in a different style. Another interesting concept could be something like a really old-looking theme. Something in the style of a fuzzy black and white or sepia photograph from a century ago. Of course, it would look strange when you have a browser window in this style and then a smooth, modern-looking website loaded up, but you can't expect everything to match.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 12:23 AM

Like a previous poster said, not metal and not black. Shapeshifter is not ready for an all black theme yet (though it will rock when it is) and there are plenty of metal themes available.
Personally, the biggest thing for in a theme is app skins and an accompanying icon set. I am using Aluminum Alloy now, not because it is my absolute favorite theme (though it is close), but because Max took the time to create app skins for pretty much everything. That makes a huge difference to me. When I open up iCal or any of the iLife apps I want them to contain the theme elements from my installed theme. Otherwise it just looks "wrong". An icon theme is really important because you need that continuity in look. The default Aqua look works because the theme and icons go together. There are a few other themes that in my opinion only work with a specific icon set.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:43 AM

I've always wanted something that exactly replicates an iBook's external look. I want buttons that look like the translucent keys, I want stuff that looks like the metal latch button, I want green and orange glowing bits that exactly match the AC adapter glow, I want the transparent plastic overlayed on opaque white plastic look, I want the glowing white Apple in my menubar, etc. So far, Changeling comes the closest for me, but it's not primarily meant to be an exact iBook replica, so...

But I figure no one wants another grayscale theme (note that I saw grayscale instead of white, because there are very few parts of the iBook that are pure white, and I don't like pure white themes anyway � they hurt my eyes).

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the input so far!

I'm really digging the Asian/Oriental idea, images of natural colors, light soft colored wood, rice paper, black ink, bamboo, and glossy red and black come to mind. The "edo" icon set on: http://www.mikworks.com/ is a good example. It might be a challenge, but I'll think about that...

I agree Makki, I'd like to try something a little less "typical" than the run of the mill OS X theme.

Luca Rescigno: Another interesting concept could be something like a really old-looking theme. Something in the style of a fuzzy black and white or sepia photograph from a century ago. Of course, it would look strange when you have a browser window in this style and then a smooth, modern-looking website loaded up, but you can't expect everything to match.
fearplatinum has that old look to it, very nice theme indeed. http://fearplatinum.ambitiouslemon.com/

Keep it coming guys, I feel the creative gears turning.
click one

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Mjolnir rocked! Make that please!
We'll see. The demand for dark themes is low at the moment, part of why I didn't get a higher place in the contest I'm sure. I do love dark designs though.
click one

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 05:25 AM

A dark theme without the annoying light part (3d 'effect') in the title bar, menu bar and so on.
Something like Onyx for Kaleidoscope, that�s a cool theme

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 07:05 AM

make a naruto theme.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 08:33 AM

how about making something like THIS..?

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 09:30 AM

How about one that is actually consistent and usable. There are lots of themes out there, and all, including Aqua, are either inconsistent, or unusable ( ie dark themes ).

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by bastion:
Something Asian/Oriental would be nice.

OT: Anyone got any good links to asian icons/desktops pics ?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 10:41 AM

Well, I don't give a rats @ss what kind of theme you make, as long as you FINISH IT!

I'm so sick & tired of reading thread after thread of people "announcing" a theme, showing a concept... then 6 or 7 months of nothing but talking about being "stuck on this or that." Then nothing for months � and when asked, they finally offer a convenient excuse like "OSX x.x update changed some things" or "I'm waiting for SS version X.x" or my personal favorite, "School got in the way."

FINISH a theme, and I'm sure most everyone will like it. Finish a GREAT theme, and people will love it.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:

OT: Anyone got any good links to asian icons/desktops pics ?
the icons are very nice -
http://www.cablenet.ne.jp/~moon-y/

I guess you already went to the aforementioned:
http://www.mikworks.com/

The Feng Shui icons set from:
http://www.pixelpressicons.com/

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
me likey.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 05:37 PM

I'm liking the Oriental idea as well with mostly earthen colors except for a few brilliant colors that just stand out.

Before I saw that idea though, I was going to suggest a relatively subdued theme, not really minimalist, as far as the actual shape and feel of it went (i.e. not a flat or boxy theme), but rather something that had gentle three-dimensional effects and palette of colors that had high contrast for the accents but a simple foundation color. I wanted some striking colors to complement and accentuate the edges and details of the theme, but a general shape that was simple with a clean or more earthen/barren color palette. Just something that's a bit classier than most of the other things out there. Really, that's the one thing I'm looking for in a theme: its class. If someone can put out a deceptively simple theme with a quiet elegance that just keeps on rewarding the end user the more often they interact with it I'd be really pleased.

In the end, an Oriental/Japanese style theme might just manage to fit that criteria, and it's significantly easier to visualize than what I was just saying. With some nice glossy reds and blacks you could really make the theme and its edges "pop" a bit, while the quieter grays, browns, and possible blues could keep the theme tame enough to be useable on a daily basis.

Oh, and while this image doesn't exactly fit in line with what I was just talking about, it IS Japanese, and it just might serve as a source of inspiration. The pic was taken by a friend of mine during a recent trip to Japan.
http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/...GinzaApple.jpg

Just as an aside, if anyone does want that pic I also have a MUCH higher res uncropped copy.
( Last edited by Anubis IV; Jul 19, 2004 at 05:56 PM. )
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 06:00 PM

Dark, Techno, uber...I'm seeing lots of black and GarageBand digital display-style widgets...

How'd I do, boss?

The Missing Member of GUIStain

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
A nice minimal feel. Not a bad idea... but I'm not into ports, and I'd like to try something more original.

Here's one I almost submitted to the MacThemes.net mockup contest, Matrix fans will love this one:

With matching icons and desktops it might be great. What do you all think?
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 06:51 PM

Not bad, but wasn't it more transluscent? Of course, that's not possible right? I was thinking about that one for a while... I think I remember someone suggesting it. It's a pretty cool interface (as well as the Minority Report one).

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 07:01 PM

No the mockup hasn't changed, though it will if I continue with it.
I'll have to see if I can find any screen caps form Minority Report.
click one

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 09:26 PM

*bump* any more input before I start anything?
click one

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 09:43 PM

I'm liking the oriental idea too. To be honest I got the idea while using Jetblack (which badly needs updating BTW). The glossy black makes me think of black laquered wood, like in Japan. I would love to see a really slick Japanese theme like this. Glossy back, with white or red elements, made into a COMPLETE theme.

The other idea I like is earthy colours, very much like Joe950s abandoned Shire themes.

Either of these would be very cool. We already have a plethora of icons to go with either of these as well!
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2004, 09:44 PM

I *love* the Zion Matrix idea!

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
I'm liking the oriental idea too. To be honest I got the idea while using Jetblack (which badly needs updating BTW). The glossy black makes me think of black laquered wood, like in Japan. I would love to see a really slick Japanese theme like this. Glossy back, with white or red elements, made into a COMPLETE theme.
We seem to think the same, JetBlack has always given me that idea too. Well since I've gotten the most feedback on that idea, I think I'll try and start a mockup.

Thanks codywalton. If I get some more demand for it I'll look into making that also. Since I've got a start on it, it shouldn't be too hard to polish the design and get it made.
click one

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 11:40 PM

I've been looking around for references on the web. Right now I'm leaning toward a minimal/zen scroll like look for the Japanese theme. Earthy colors (maybe a blue or blue/grey as the dominant color), paper and wood textures, nice contrast... dark stained wood for the title bar maybe?

I found this site, it's really cool: http://www.shambhala.com/zenart/index.cfm/

Feedback?
click one

Makki
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I've been looking around for references on the web. Right now I'm leaning toward a minimal/zen scroll like look for the Japanese theme. Earthy colors (maybe a blue or blue/grey as the dominant color), paper and wood textures, nice contrast... dark stained wood for the title bar maybe?

Feedback?
HI NetworkShadow

I took a look at the site and i think your idea of a minimal/zen scroll like look for the Japanese theme. would be really cool. I hope you go ahead with this idea as i think it would truly be an original.

Makki

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 12:05 AM

Don't know if this helps, but my vision of it, certainly colour and texture-wise comes from the "Azuchi" stage in DOA3:

Also, you could get inspiration from the EDO icons:

from www.mikworks.com

Just my idea of it anyway. Sorry it isn't a little more helpful!
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

samvermette
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 12:05 AM

Either Omega or NickelCobalt

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2004, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by samvermette:
Either Omega or NickelCobalt
*cough* I didn't ask what the ideal already designed theme was...

Ozzpot: Both references you just posted are not new to me, (DOA 3 rocks) but thanks anyway they really are good to draw from.
click one

Dave-o�
Senior User
Jul 22, 2004, 08:01 AM

Here's one I almost submitted to the MacThemes.net mockup contest, Matrix fans will love this one:

With matching icons and desktops it might be great. What do you all think?
Looks like someone already made a similar theme:

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 08:16 AM

Feedback?
I dunno if this helps, but the CSS Zen Garden has a good number of oriental Japanese-like designs, including the main page. Might be helpful to go through it.

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:

no.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:

interesting theme, though it's not quite the same. A TRUE Zion theme, with custom app skins, icons, and desktops, would rock your a$$ off.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 03:27 PM

I'd like to see something in a shade of blue that isn't as garish as WinXP (no offense to Max, it wasn't his fault!). Most anything I've seen in blue just doesn't have much style. Either that, or it's all aquafied. I'd like to see something like Latium but with the Blue LCDPro hues.

Just my 2 cents US.

Lefo

Me0ni6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 06:06 PM

Your concept is really great NetWorkShadow. It's all the same in all Sci-fi series with a great interface program, we all hope a GuiKit that match the idea.

In fact, the kind of theme i would have on my desktop is something like that

Without crapy angle

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
no.
lol Thank you for that. I agree it's nothing like my mockup.

Well I think I'll look into making the Zion theme first since I've got a start on that, and limited time at the moment.

If anyone is interested in helping make a full Zion Control make-over kit (icons and desktops etc) let me know.

Synotic: Ya, the CSS Zen Garden does. Thanks.

Lefo: Same here, I'm thinking I'll have a few diffrent colors to my Zen theme and blue will be one.

Me0ni6: Ya that would be a cool interface, though we do have to work with-in the limitations of Aqua... and there are a lot. I'm not sure an iRobot interface theme would resemble the real interface if it were made.
( Last edited by NetworkShadow; Jul 22, 2004 at 06:19 PM. )
click one

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 06:29 PM

An I, Robot theme would rock.

Me0ni6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 08:58 AM

The thing is transparency, i suppose?

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:38 AM

If you do an oriental theme then don't make it too dark. Thanks for the links eyevaan (And yep I already had the Edo icons )

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Me0ni6:
The thing is transparency, i suppose?
Quite right.

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
If you do an oriental theme then don't make it too dark. Thanks for the links eyevaan (And yep I already had the Edo icons )
Don't worry, it's going to be mostly light.
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 05:40 PM

I really like the I, Robot theme. I'll bump for that.

Dave

NetworkShadow  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by MorphOSX:
I really like the I, Robot theme. I'll bump for that.

Dave
I really don't think it would be worth making without the transparency...
click one

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 01:06 AM

catch me on aim, please, Net?

Thanks!

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2004, 08:21 AM

Don't worry, it's going to be mostly light.
Most excellent

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2004, 07:33 AM

NetworkShadow, i really liked the look of your Zion theme mock-up. i still haven't got around to doing any theme Matrix related so it would be really good to see someone else get a good Matrix theme out there.

my other suggestion would be to go for a really glossy, shiny, perhaps even 'glowing' theme. well perhaps not 'really' glossy... but toned down enough for continued use.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

I really love your Zion theme too. If there's anything I can assist you with in that let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules