Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > any 10.4 compatible themes for shapeshifter 2.1?

any 10.4 compatible themes for shapeshifter 2.1?
nycdunz
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 04:26 AM

looking forward to the authors to convert their themes over to be compatible with 10.4... especially Milk! and the Ti theme!

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2005, 04:34 AM

Lots of themes are compatible. If you read a few threads below, you'd see some comments from Max regarding his themes.

I'm using AlBook and it's all right. A little different from the Panther but not enough to worry about. Besides, new themes (updates) are on the way. You'll see an announcement on them.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 3, 2005, 07:35 AM

They wont be 10.4 compatible to me unless they release them so you don't have to use SS.

You know, how a lot of of people still use themes.

Someone one day is going to take all the themes, and release them as Extras.rsrcs

Some people don't like the idea of running 3rd party hacks.

No matter how nicely (And SS is nice) they are made.

I think Max is still offering Smooth Stripes as a Extras.rsrc.

I understand about the themes that REQUIRE Shape Shifter to do extra stuff the Finder wont let them.

But most themes don't fall under this.

I really see no reason to run a theme manager if all you use is one theme.

siMac
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 07:22 AM

Zimphire, you've been quite vocal on this subject lately, and if it were possible I would happily provide an extras.rsrc file for Unity. However I'm afraid it's one of those themes you mentioned that does require SS, if for nothing else but the ability to change text colours. Unfortunately a lot of modern themes now make use of modified text colours so that leaves SS as a requirement for the majority of people.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 12:55 PM

I would also point out that the speed hit most people imagine when running haxies is actually negligible for most things. Besides, I have honestly yet to see any issues come from Unsanity's products. In any way shape or form.

padma colors
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 07:59 PM

Zimphire
Baninated
May 5, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
Zimphire, you've been quite vocal on this subject lately, and if it were possible I would happily provide an extras.rsrc file for Unity. However I'm afraid it's one of those themes you mentioned that does require SS, if for nothing else but the ability to change text colours. Unfortunately a lot of modern themes now make use of modified text colours so that leaves SS as a requirement for the majority of people.
Right, I have no problem with people making SS only themes for themes that REQUIRE it.

There are a lot of themes out there however, that do not need SS, that put out SS only formats.

I was just saying, that is kinda lame.

I know a lot more people that would use themes if they didn't have to load a theme manager.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 5, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MorphOSX
I would also point out that the speed hit most people imagine when running haxies is actually negligible for most things.
It's not imagined, but you are right. It isn't THAT much of a difference.
I am however anal about such things.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
I am however anal about such things.
We already knew that.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 5, 2005, 11:19 PM

I only use one theme. I either hack the stripes out myself, or use Smooth Stripes.

And since I already did it for Tiger....

Beyond that, I used to theme a lot.

I just got sick of the inconsistency, and Apple not following a long with it's own guidelines towards the Extras resource.

So now I just stick with the original stripe-less Aqua theme I made back in the pre-Public Beta days.

I pick consistency over customization I guess...

And the latest Aqua, minus the stripes suits me fine.

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 11:39 PM

The question that I have, since you point out people do not wish to be loading up a theme manager when it's simply easier ot use an installer for one theme, is what you tell those folks when a file copy goes bad or a crash happens while swapping out the resources for the theme using an installer and they end up hosing something major and have to reinstall their entire OS?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a theme go native if I use it so much as to negate the use of a manager. But when given the choice between using a program which is essentially an extension of the core OS that then allows patching of system resources without messing with system files vs installing hacks that could cause damage to the point of having to reinstall an OS...i'll go with the extension option. It's safer and easier.

Now, I know people will argue that people who are safe won't have problems. But that assumes everything's going to go smoothly. If you're willing to risk it, go for it with my blessings. Me, I'll stick to the thing I can simply uninstall if it ever gets in the way.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 6, 2005, 07:32 AM

Morph have you read this forum lately? People have had similar problems with SS.

And it's not SS. It's usually a user error.

Same goes with manually installing themes. I wasn't speaking of a installer.

Heck, I've hot swapped the Extras.rsrc so many times it's not even funny.

Not one crash, freeze or corrupt file.

And I am not exactly Mr Computer Wizard.

in other words, No matter what way it is being done, SOMONE is going to screw up their computer eventually.

If people have to reinstall the OS because of the Extras.rsrc, they have no clue in what they are doing. None.

You should NEVER have to install the OS because of such a thing.

Again, I've been doing it manually since the pre-Public Beta days.

Not one problem.

benign
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
...I am however anal about such things...

Ho, ho, ho.

Couldn't resist this post, but I would agree that Aqua
or the 'cat' minus the stripes is a whole lot better than
with'em. What was that 'original' aqua mod you made
sosumi or something like that - I didn't use it, I was
using ButtO'Sigh's Xeno Extras.rsrc at around the same
time.

Maybe a new sig for you could be...
All hail - Zimp, the first aqua modifier.

Or just 'Zimply no tiger stripes'

Simple Empire...

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
May 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

*shrugs* YMMV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules