Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing to JetDirect causes gibberish

Printing to JetDirect causes gibberish
rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 02:21 PM

Hi,
I am trying to print to an HP Laserjet 2100 which is connected to a JetDirect to the network. I am completely unable to print...I may get 20 pages, with one or two lines at the top that look something like "%PS blah blah blah..." which makes me think of a postscript error, except it ain't postscript I'm trying to print.

I am unable to print from either a iMac or Lombard, both running 10.2.6.

I know these HP's use some kind of proprietary language called PCL, but am unable to divine how that figures into this.

I have tried IP printing. I have tried downloading the HP driver. I have tried GIMP Print. No success. Does anyone have any idea? I have tried every variation, but am unable to get anything different from any application.
Thanks.

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 02:58 PM

the built in mac osx driver works fine. What app are u printing from . the adobe app like photoshop and illustrator etc need the the print to be sent in ASCII format instead of BINARY. You can select that from the print dialogue.

This is mainly a Binary/ASCII Problem faced by all network HP Printers.

Some more details would help
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 10:31 AM

There is no place that I can find in either the print setup or in the print dialog box or in the application page setup that allows me to select either binary or ascii.

I cannot print from any application, including photoshop, illustrator, word, excel, text edit, stickies, nothing.

I am printing to a JetDirect 300X attached to the 2100.

The 1st page starts out with:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%RBINumCopies: 1
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Title: (Untitled)

And so on.

Somebody PLEASE, PLEASE help me with this. I am a big Mac advocate, and have been able to get Macs purchased for various purposes in an all Windows environment, but this is just downright embarrassing.

rlmorel  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 12:12 PM

Okay. I got it to work. But I had to spend an hour browsing the HP tech site, only to find out...the HP drivers for a 2100 do not work with a JetDirect. You have to use a Ghostscript CUPS driver for the HP LaserJet 6P/MP.

Now, HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT?

HP is going down, I'll tell you. My brother had to work with them on a support issue, and they wanted him to USE A FAX! HP! A TECHNOLOGY COMPANY! Not email, a FAX! I could understand it if it were the finance people or even Personnel, but...Tech Support???

THAT is a sorry state, indeed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules