Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Porsche designing notebook computers?

Porsche designing notebook computers?
coolmac
Oct 24, 2002, 03:25 PM

Here's the link:
http://www.cnet.com/techtrends/0-601...html?tag=ldgif

Just two problems, the Powerbook still looks better, and the Powerbook runs OS X.

Imagine Porsche & Best Buy going after Apple, nice compliment huh?

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Here's the link:

Just two problems, the Powerbook still looks better, and the Powerbook runs OS X.

Oh for a minute there, I thought you meant Jamie Porsche. I am sure she runs a lot better than OS/X

http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/janieporche.html

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2002, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
Here's the link:

Yeah, no doubt. Powerbook looks a lot better. Even though, no matter what it looked like, unless it has OS/X on it, I am not interested.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Oct 24, 2002, 04:19 PM

I'd expect better design than that from Porsche! It looks a bit basic. Specs are way better than the TiBook though (don't know what graphics chip it has though).

Commodus
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 05:22 PM

Actually, the design of this notebook is pretty much in line with what Porsche Design did for Samsung's 171P 17" LCD display: very clean lines, silver with a bit of black. You'd almost get the impression that Porsche Design was hoping to become the Apple of the x86 world!

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2002, 06:17 PM

video depends on model. there are 3 models. the higest model uses a GF4 420 go w/ 32 mb.

daym thats nice.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=494&scat=495
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2002, 01:44 AM

No one's mentioned it yet, but there's still one huge flaw with this laptop (besides the fact it uses an Intel chip). It's 6.4 lbs!!! That's freakin' heavy!

FlashGordon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 02:00 AM

realize that Porche the article is referring to is not the car company, but the designer is related to the car company family.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 04:44 AM

the only thing i like about it is its 1.2" thick & the video card. i would trade my ATI 7500 for a GF4 420 Go chipset any day. guess i have always been a GF fan.

usb 2 & firwire does make it tempting but the color for the keyboard is just a turn off. guess they didnt want to copy too much of the PB.

asmujica
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2002, 08:23 AM

I hope apple lowers the powerbook price......

sleepyrenderer
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2002, 11:00 AM

Some more piccy's:

According to here:
http://www.vprmatrix.com/products_notebook_200A5.asp
it weighs 6.4lbs, so one more than the TiBook.

euphras
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 12:31 PM

I think when they�re following up on Apple regarding some design elements (e. g. the wide screen aspect, the minimalistic design), it�s pretty much a complement. The one pound more ( ouhh, when will you ever use metric units ) is certainly due to the magnesium casing, one more hint that the Tibook casing is still the leading edge of notebook design (even if there are minor flaws like paint chipping in some badges). To my knowledge it�s also the first Wintel notebook that�s sporting the slot-in drive. But look at the rest: VGA out, 10/100 MBit Ethernet,..... The Ti is still standing strong.

Pat
( Last edited by euphras; Oct 25, 2002 at 12:37 PM. )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

jchen
Oct 25, 2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
i would trade my ATI 7500 for a GF4 420 Go chipset any day. guess i have always been a GF fan.
http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1642&p=9

As you can see, the Radeon 7500 Mobility is really only about 5-10% slower than a Geforce 4 Go 440. The GF4 440 Go runs 128bit DDR whereas the GF420 operates on 64bit DDR. Therefore, with the 420, you have basically half the memory bandwith which as you can probably see, will be significantly slower.

Therefore, there really wouldn't be a point in trading if you had the option.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by jchen:

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1642&p=9

As you can see, the Radeon 7500 Mobility is really only about 5-10% slower than a Geforce 4 Go 440. The GF4 440 Go runs 128bit DDR whereas the GF420 operates on 64bit DDR. Therefore, with the 420, you have basically half the memory bandwith which as you can probably see, will be significantly slower.

Therefore, there really wouldn't be a point in trading if you had the option.
didnt know the exact specs. like i said, guess im a GF fan. ehehe. thanks for the specs.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2002, 02:04 PM

Hmmmmm... My guess is that both Firewire ports are of the 4-pin variety. If that is true, then it would be a big drawback IMO. However, I can't find the spec anywhere, except that there are 2 Firewire ports.

I'd rather have 1 6-pin port than 2 4-pin ports.

The look is OK, but not great. The weight of 6.4 lbs is so-so.

The specs otherwise are great, for the price though.

As for the video, I'd probably prefer having ATI. I may be biased by previous versions of nVidia stuff though. A couple of years back on PC laptops, the ATI drivers were WAY better than the nVidia ones. Dunno about the last year though.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Hmmmmm... My guess is that both Firewire ports are of the 4-pin variety. If that is true, then it would be a big drawback IMO. However, I can't find the spec anywhere, except that there are 2 Firewire ports.

I'd rather have 1 6-pin port than 2 4-pin ports.

The look is OK, but not great. The weight of 6.4 lbs is so-so.

The specs otherwise are great, for the price though.

As for the video, I'd probably prefer having ATI. I may be biased by previous versions of nVidia stuff though. A couple of years back on PC laptops, the ATI drivers were WAY better than the nVidia ones. Dunno about the last year though.
a lot of my friends that have laptops say that same. prefer a GF4 on the desktop & an ATI in the laptop.

Forum Links
Forum Rules