Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stop warning of changing file extension

Stop warning of changing file extension
funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 02:29 PM

How can I get rid of the warning in the Finder that says:
Are you sure you want to change the file's extension from '.shtml' to '.html'?

Can I somehow disable this? Preferably without mucking about in scary .plist files and such in the System folder?

Thanks

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 03:02 PM

heres a workaround:

in the terminal type:

cp page1.html page1.shtml

alternatively

mv page1.html page1.shtml

for more info about cp and mv

man cp
man mv

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 03:07 PM

The power of the Terminal.

Always astonishing again, how easy things are there.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 03:42 PM

That's lame. I don't want to open the terminal everytime I change a file name, it's easier to click the warning away!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 04:05 PM

Umm... the Finder doesn't ask me at all. Never.
Maybe it's the 'always show extensions' setting in the Finder preferences?

-

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 05:50 PM

>>That's lame. I don't want to open the terminal everytime I change a file name, it's easier to click the warning away!

proof that one mans trash is another mans treasure...

a holck
Senior User
Dec 6, 2002, 06:01 PM

Yes, setting the Finder preference removes this dialogs!

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2002, 06:26 PM

great... i�ve been looking for this already (although not very hard)...

well, thanks anyway.
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
That's lame.

I second that
- Ravi

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 09:01 PM

>>I second that

"who is the bigger fool? the fool, or the fool that follows him?"

--obi wan "ben" kenobi

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
That's lame. I don't want to open the terminal everytime I change a file name, it's easier to click the warning away!
"Why don't you do it your way, and let me do it mine."
-Roy O'Bannon

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 09:39 PM

Or use the power of OS 9:

Reboot your machine in OS 9, change the extension there and voila: no stupid dialog box pops up.

-

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Moonray:
Reboot your machine in OS 9, change the extension there and voila: no stupid dialog box pops up.
But OS 9 doesn't warn you if you change the extension to something wrong. The extension is used for document binding, so adding the wrong extension could screw things up.

The Terminal doesn't need that warning since it doesn't care about filename extensions.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2002, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

But OS 9 doesn't warn you if you change the extension to something wrong. The extension is used for document binding, so adding the wrong extension could screw things up.

The Terminal doesn't need that warning since it doesn't care about filename extensions.

Mac OS 9 doesn't care about filename extensions, and neither does the Terminal, so both let you change it without warning. But it's dangerous to change something extension in OS 9, because you might add the wrong extension, but if you do it in the Terminal, that's fine?

Huh?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

Huh?
Makes to me not less sense if you put it this way:

But the Terminal doesn't warn you if you change the extension to something wrong. The extension is used for document binding, so adding the wrong extension could screw things up.

OS 9 doesn't need that warning since it doesn't care about filename extensions.

But anyway, I think people (should?) have a basic knowledge of what they do when they work with a computer, and the same warning popping up again and again can get annoying ("It looks like you're going to change a file extension, would you like me to screw the system up for you?")

-

Subzero Diesel949
Dec 6, 2002, 11:38 PM

Yes, setting the Finder Pref does turn off the warning.

But try to tell some newbie who doesn't know jack about computers (I help maintain three machines in my lab that run Jaguar used by students without a clue) that it's bad to change file extensions. It's a safeguard to hold their hand: "Hey! Don't do that unless you want to screw up your file!"

Since most of us here are power users, I don't think it hurts to show extensions (as un-Mac like as it may seem).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Subzero Diesel949:
Since most of us here are power users, I don't think it hurts to show extensions (as un-Mac like as it may seem).
I agree. I prefer all extensions to be shown. But for some reason, turning that on makes all of the nice localized directories and whatnot go back to normal. Why can't I have my extensions shown and have my localized directories? I want to have my cake and eat it too, dammit!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 01:44 AM

anyone who work directly with PCs needs those damn extensions to be shown... plus sometimes an icon alone just doesn't cut it for me when it comes to knowing what a file is.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 02:21 AM

Thinking it would be easier for people to work on a computer when the file extensions are hidden is about the same as thinking it would be easier to drive a car without looking into rear-view mirror.

There are things a computer user has just to deal with, and if they deal with filenames, they have to know how they work. Or everyone who gets a C compiler could call himself a programmer and everyone who gets a dental drill could call himself a dentist.

-

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2002, 05:02 PM

Hmm I work with PCs all damn day long and I've never once had to have SHOW extensions on in Mac OS X. I work with slightly over 120 different file types between platforms. Never once had a problem.

The reason the person wanted the warning gone was because it wasted his time and was annoying. All your solutions waste MORE of his time if anything else.

If there is no way to turn it off by some plist than it's better to just click it away.

Some of you must like to make your lives more complicated than they really are..

Forum Links
Forum Rules