Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > No-brainer suggestion for Apple

No-brainer suggestion for Apple
Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 12:38 PM

What with the number of complaints about the new graphical features of Leopard--the translucent menu bar being too hard to see and the reflective dock being "gaudy"--why not just let us flip to the old look for these non-features?

The lack of customizability in appearance built into OSX has always puzzled me. I guess Apple just refuses to allow users to pick bad colors and make their OS as ugly as Windows tends to be, but why not at least let us pick the old look?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 01:36 PM

Why not tell that
Feedback

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 03:58 PM

You can change to a bland dock by typing this into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

then type

killall Dock

-Q-
Oct 29, 2007, 04:44 PM

You can also try this to get a non-see-thru menu bar:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id.../opaquemenubar

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 29, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
The lack of customizability in appearance built into OSX has always puzzled me. I guess Apple just refuses to allow users to pick bad colors and make their OS as ugly as Windows tends to be, but why not at least let us pick the old look?
Branding! When you're not sure why, just remember that word.

Apple wants to make sure people recognize Leopard easily (Apple has succumbed to some pressures in some cases though and has allowed some customizability). The 3D Dock is an obvious attempt to make Leopard stand out.

Apple will not allow the OS to be heavily customized because it wants people to know that the computer is running Mac OS X. It created a look that is unique and identifiable to all people...especially those who don't have a Mac. Apple wants to convert Windows users. If your Mac looks like Windows...people will look at it with zero interest because they've already seen that look so they'll just think it's Windows.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
You can change to a bland dock by typing this into Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES

then type

killall Dock
how would i re enable it if i wanted to do so?
Regards,
Dave

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 29, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dfbennett View Post
how would i re enable it if i wanted to do so?
defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean NO

Helmling  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 07:05 PM

I haven't upgraded yet, but when I do I might take pains to restore my nice bright white apple bar with the blue icon. Weird. I remember thinking it was too cheery when I first switched five years ago, but now...it just feels right.

I wonder if being an Apple user has somehow brightened my soul?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I haven't upgraded yet,
So your complaining about something you haven't used yet.

Try it you'll like it

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 30, 2007, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
Apple will not allow the OS to be heavily customized because it wants people to know that the computer is running Mac OS X. It created a look that is unique and identifiable to all people...especially those who don't have a Mac. Apple wants to convert Windows users. If your Mac looks like Windows...people will look at it with zero interest because they've already seen that look so they'll just think it's Windows.
I do not see how allowing the colour scheme to be changed easily would make Mac OS look less like Mac OS. The rest of the appearance of the desktop is distinctive enough to recognize.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2007, 05:43 AM

I don't see it, either.

Why, oh why, won't they bring back Appearance Themes? I'm sure someone at Apple must have made some really kickarse themes that are just languishing in some secret folder somewhere.

Damn it, I'm using DrawingBoard on my OS 9 machine, does it mean it doesn't look like OS 9 anymore? Of course not, it still looks like OS 9, actually more so than if I used some Kaleidoscope schemes.

Probably the most dramatic way you can change the look of OS X is by changing the desktop picture and icons. When will they block us from doing that? I mean, just imagine some potential Windows switcher walking by, how the fụck is he supposed to know it's still OS X if the desktop and all the icons look different?

Forum Links
Forum Rules