Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Kid Friendly Wii games that use the Wii remote?

Kid Friendly Wii games that use the Wii remote?
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2008, 04:04 PM

My family got a Wii recently. My wife got the basic system with Wii Sports and a second remote, and we added two Nunchucks and Wii Play, plus Lego Indiana Jones.

I am looking for more games that take advantage of the Wii remote (ideally more like Wii Sports than Indiana Jones, which is basically just a console game). It should be kid friendly (my oldest is 8, so no blood-and-guts). I'm sure there are some great games out there but I just don't know what to look at when I go.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2008, 06:06 PM

Mario Kart

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2008, 09:43 PM

I didn't get what all the fuss was about when I finally played it, but Zack & Wiki got rave reviews...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2008, 12:38 AM

Boom Blox

Paco500
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2008, 07:26 AM

Kororinpa. Awesome game. And you will enjoy it as well.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/774/774220p1.html

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2008, 09:57 AM

I picked up Boom Blox this week. So far the kids really like it. I'm still on the lookout for more good options though -- keep the suggestions coming!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2008, 03:11 PM

Well, based upon seeing what my youngest cousins like to play, I would add in this particular order: Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball (kind of similar to Kororinpa so it would be a matter of choice one of both), Mario Party 8 and Rayman Raving Rabbids 2.

Then I got "Wario Land, The Shake Dimension" today, while I have not played it for hours, I guess kids would also like it, 2D and the cartoon look it sports would do it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2008, 10:01 AM

Zach & Wiki, i heard was a 'core' game wrapped in cartooney graphics, which basically means its tough i guess. i havent played through it yet.

I have tried Wario Ware..... and to me it's not something i'd recommend. i had no idea what was going on (getting old i guess ), but im not sure if that sort of game is 'healthy' for kids imo. it looks like the kind of game that would probably give people seizures.

I guess i'd recommend Madden, cause you could get into it as well and i guess it's got multiplayer, unless your not a football fan.

deBlob looks nice although it seems more focused on the single player game (it does have some multiplayer).

"Lego Batman" is out as well i think.

"MLB Power Pros" seems like a good game, if your a baseball fan you might want to check it out.

"Endless Ocean" if you want an "edutainment" type title (and it's like $30-$40).

Hope that helped, just bear in mind that i havent played any of the above games except for Zach & Wiki and WarioWare.

Cheers

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2008, 02:04 PM

All sorts of good ideas here.

So far I got Boom Blox, which is pretty fun.

Then I got Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure used from Gamestop. The chat bubbles are somewhat annoying, but the gameplay is great. My kids really like trying to figure out the puzzles, and the use of the wii controller to pull, push, grab, and shake is really excellent.

Finally, we got Avatar: Burning Earth because my son watches the show. The game play for the most part is fun, but the controls requiring you to use the Wii controller to use "bending" powers are extremely frustrating. It just doesn't work well, and you find yourself frustrated getting the moves to register with the game. It's getting better as we learn, but the actual movements are a lot different from what the on-screen help suggests they ought to be.

I'll try out some of the other suggestions too, but any new ideas are appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules