Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook shopping, want to come?

ibook shopping, want to come?
ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 04:28 PM

My 4 yr old G3 powerbook PC (bronze keyboard) is going to cost me $300-$400 in repairs. The Apple service guys (2 different stores) pointed out that I was a third of the way there in cost for a new ibook.

I wasn't in the market until this disaster. . .so what should I be aware of in considering a new ibook G4 or used ibook G3 (prices are lower right?)

Before reading these posts I thought a 14" screen would be better--mainly for viewing a bigger screen, working on word documents, but I'm wondering if the smallest screen is sufficient and a better machine maintenance-wise.

Also have learned on these posts of some problems with the G3, ie. hinge, and cables, etc. going bad?

I would like to be comfortable (my eyes on a screen thus the question of the 12" vs 14") and enjoy a good computer for a couple of years. I don't do fancy stuff, just writing, spreadsheets, internet. . .I might venture into some of the bells and whistles if they're there.

So if you had to go shopping now what would you do--buy new or save a few hundred and get a G3?

Thanks,

ClaraT

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 04:57 PM

Get a new G4. This way you'll have a machine you can keep for several years, and you'll avoid the problems of the G3 iBook you mentionned, which as far as I know are not fixed yet...

Concerning the size of the screen, i love my 12" iBook and wouldn't go for the 14" because the resolution of the screen is the same, and the 14" is heavier, and not as easily transportable as the 12". The 12" is crisp and clear and you shouldn't have any issue with the screen size... you can even connect the iBook to an external monitor if you really want a big screen (but I bet you won't).

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Get a new G4. This way you'll have a machine you can keep for several years, and you'll avoid the problems of the G3 iBook you mentionned, which as far as I know are not fixed yet...

Concerning the size of the screen, i love my 12" iBook and wouldn't go for the 14" because the resolution of the screen is the same, and the 14" is heavier, and not as easily transportable as the 12". The 12" is crisp and clear and you shouldn't have any issue with the screen size... you can even connect the iBook to an external monitor if you really want a big screen (but I bet you won't).
Merci!

You make some great points.

appreciatively,
ClaraT

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Merci!

You make some great points.

appreciatively,
ClaraT
Let me put a vote in for the 14". I too was torn between the two models (12" vs. 14") and decided to go for the 14". I had a Pismo 500MHz and loved the large screen. I couldn't imagine going back to a small 12" screen (I had an original iBook before the Pismo). Yes, it costs more but extra screen size was well worth it. Throw in bluetooth, airport extreme and this this is the best computer I have ever owned. The portability is not bad at all. I little heavier but easily managed. Get the 14" 933 MHz - definitely worth the money!

EDIT: I see you are in DC. Go to the Tysons Corner Apple Store and check them out in person so you can really see the differences.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2004, 03:08 PM

There is absolutely no difference in terms of usable screen realestate between the 12" and 14" ibook models.

Both the 12" and 14" are set at 1024x768 in terms of screen resolution.

The 14" simply has larger pixels, thus the display is larger. If you have poor eyesight the 14" is a better model to go with.

If you travel or plan on taking the laptop with you on the go, then the 12" is a much better choice.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 05:18 PM

in my view, the thing that the 14" has going for itself now is cpu speed. being availible in 933 and 1ghz.

i understand they can not put the 12" at 1ghz because that would most probably take a dent out the powerbook sales.

okm51
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 07:00 PM

I upgraded from a 12" iBook G3 to a 14" G4 933. I occasionally use both machines side by side and I truly love the larger screen of the 14"--easier on the eyes, I guess. The speed is great...I'm really happy I made the change.

Kami
Jan 18, 2004, 09:54 PM

ClaraT, one of the advantages that you have in this situation is the fact that you've been using a 14 inch Lombard so you are familiar with the screen resolution and the weight (basically the same as the 14 inch iBook). You need to decide if you are still happy with the form factor or if you need something smaller/lighter because you are mobile.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 12:52 AM

Whatever you decide, don't get the G3. This is very important. You might want to continue asking more about this, if you still prefer the G3.

I would save for the G4, either 12 or 14". If you don't move around with the laptop that much, I would get the 14".

If you are into writting.. you might want to try a PB 12". They keyboard is excellent. Then again is more expensive for what you use it.

regards

xmishx
Jan 19, 2004, 01:55 PM

I had a Lombard and the daughtercard went out. I wonder if this is the same problem you have. I could purchase another daughtercard or processor for $75 to $180. They are easy to replace and I have been told they were a problem with that computer. Just a thought. I ended up getting a iBook refurbished from the Apple site. My main goal is to get a G5 desktop, but I needed something I could tote around with me. I didn't spend much for my 700 MHz 12 inch machine even with additional airport card and maxed out ram. Under $800. I use to for photo editing, using it at cafe's that have wireless and some writing. If I could have afforded more computer, I would have gone with the G4. Good luck,

x

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 11:21 AM

It's funny. I've gone the reverse. I've had a WallStreet 13.3 a Lombard 14.1 and a Pismo 14.1 and an iBook Dual USB 600MHz 14.1 as well and just after Christmas I bought a 12" powerbook. Go figure. I thought I would not like the smaller screen but it isn't really much of an issue I have found. When you work on it you don't really notice the size. Also it is MUCH more portable than the 14. I found the 14's to be a little heavy and unwieldy when I was taking it out a customer's location. Don't get me wrong I loved the 14.1 inch screens it's just you need to decide what will suite you best. Play with them both for a while at the store and see which one you like more. Load up some apps and do some things with it and see.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
It's funny. I've gone the reverse. I've had a WallStreet 13.3 a Lombard 14.1 and a Pismo 14.1 and an iBook Dual USB 600MHz 14.1 as well and just after Christmas I bought a 12" powerbook. Go figure. I thought I would not like the smaller screen but it isn't really much of an issue I have found. When you work on it you don't really notice the size. Also it is MUCH more portable than the 14. I found the 14's to be a little heavy and unwieldy when I was taking it out a customer's location. Don't get me wrong I loved the 14.1 inch screens it's just you need to decide what will suite you best. Play with them both for a while at the store and see which one you like more. Load up some apps and do some things with it and see.

Hi everyone and thanks,

I've been offline configuring my old iMac for dsl the last few days but I'm back with some speed.

All your posts have been helpful. . .strong arguments on both sides. After going to the Apple store (yep at Tyson's I did see how much easier the 14" was on my eyes--everything was just slightly larger . . .but I like the size of the 12".

I did a wierd thing on my iMac that changed the size of everything on the screen causing it to appear about the size of icons and text on the 12" ibook. . .not sure how it happened. . .I was moving my mouse around the desktop and double clicked and then suddenly everything got smaller.

I didn't do this using Preferences, mind you. So I've been getting a sample of what the 12" appearance feels like. . .kind of strains my eyes.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

ClaraT.

ClaraT  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by xmishx:
I had a Lombard and the daughtercard went out. I wonder if this is the same problem you have. I could purchase another daughtercard or processor for $75 to $180. They are easy to replace and I have been told they were a problem with that computer. Just a thought. I ended up getting a iBook refurbished from the Apple site. My main goal is to get a G5 desktop, but I needed something I could tote around with me. I didn't spend much for my 700 MHz 12 inch machine even with additional airport card and maxed out ram. Under $800. I use to for photo editing, using it at cafe's that have wireless and some writing. If I could have afforded more computer, I would have gone with the G4. Good luck,

x
Thanks. . . I haven't given up on the Powerbook and will pursue our suggestion about the daughtercard.

ClaraT

Forum Links
Forum Rules