Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External Drive Problems

External Drive Problems
b0sc0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2011, 08:19 PM

I had a usb drive not show up,so I changed cases with another and the drive is ok.
The bad external case's power cord would light up the light on the front of the case, but the drive wouldn't spin up. I got a new case off eBay, installed the drive with a new power cord. It spins up but doesn't show up, even in Disk Utility. I exchanged drives with another external case and the drive in the new case, that was running in the other case, spins up but doesn't show up either. The other drive, taken out of the new case and installed in the other working case, shows up fine. I've tried switching usb cables and every other thing I can think of to find the default, but can't. I tried the old power supply on the new case and it does the same thing it did with the old case. It lights the light on the front of the case but the drive doesn't spin. the new power supply plugged into the old case lights the front light and the drive spins up but isn't recognized. It's confusing to me and I'm tried of taking cases apart and testing. Any ideas as to what my situation could be? Also, can I use the usb ports on a cube that's sitting on my desk in target disk mode as a usb hub. In other-words can I hook usb drives to the cube and see them on my eMac that the cube is hooked to? By the way, the drive does show up in system profile. Go figure.
( Last edited by b0sc0; Feb 2, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding info)

ibook_steve
Feb 3, 2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by b0sc0 View Post
... It's confusing to me...
That's the main thing I got out of your post! ;-)

Seriously, after all that, I'm still not sure whether you're asking about a bad external case or a bad drive. Can you summarize a little better exactly what's the problem and what you need help with?

If I could give you any advice, don't get a case off of eBay. Get a new one from a site like Newegg. The Thermaltake cases (Newegg.com - Thermaltake/External Enclosures) are good because you can just pop drives in and out without having to take a case apart. And they're cheap.

As for your USB hub question, just get a cheap hub instead of messing with target disk mode, which I don't think will work for USB drives. Hubs don't usually cost more than $20 or $30.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules