Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft smartwatch touted for launch within weeks, sale soon after

Microsoft smartwatch touted for launch within weeks, sale soon after
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 20, 2014, 06:12 AM

Microsoft could introduce its own wearable device in the next few weeks, a report claims. According to sources of Forbes, Microsoft's rumored smartwatch will attempt to beat its counterparts, such as the Samsung Gear range and the Moto 360, by offering a battery life said to last for more than two days from a single charge, something many current smartwatches struggle with.

Report sources claim the device will be compatible with multiple mobile platforms, and will continue the health-related trend by incorporate a heart rate monitor into the design. Though an exact date for the device's unveiling is unknown, it will apparently arrive in stores shortly after the launch, with Microsoft aiming to capitalize on the holiday season shopping period before the Apple Watch ships early next year.

Samsung Gear Fit
Samsung Gear Fit

Earlier reports claim the Microsoft team behind the Xbox Kinect is behind the device, and could be based on the Joule, a heart-rate monitor for use with Kinect games tested by Microsoft in 2012. It has been suggested the device will look similar to the Samsung Gear Fit, complete with an elongated display, and will also include an accelerometer, gyroscope, GPS, and will connect to a host smartphone over Bluetooth 4.0 LE.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 20, 2014 at 07:01 AM. )

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2014, 08:49 AM

Har.

prl99
Senior User
Oct 20, 2014, 09:08 AM

Is this the replacement for the Surface capable of running everything Microsoft offers? What's the thing on the left side, a charger?

climacs
Senior User
Oct 20, 2014, 09:20 AM

that thing is a Samsung Gear Fit, not the rumored Microsoft smartwatch. Who the hell would wear that? Ugly as sin.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2014, 09:29 AM

The thing on the left side is a security device tethering the watch to something more solid so that the watch doesn't sprout legs and walk out of the store that the photo was taken in.

makemineamac
Oct 20, 2014, 09:35 AM

Well, they have done watches before, unlike Samsung and others including Apple. And while I'll likely stick with my Pebble until I can justify getting myself an Apple watch, I will be interested to see what their version looks like.

Though their Spot watches were lampooned quite often, I had one when I traveled before the internet really took off, and I loved when landing in a new time zone and city, how the watch would automagically update timezones, weather and so on. It wasn't a totally bad experience, and you didn't need a cell phone. At the time they were using AM radio towers to transmit to these devices. Mine worked pretty well.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2014, 09:39 AM

Yeah, but does it click and have a kickstand?

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2014, 10:38 AM

Given Microsoft's keen eye for design, I'd expect this thing to have a couple knobs and levers on it...turn itself off at random, etc.

It's Zune time again, folks.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 20, 2014, 12:16 PM

The funny thing is how Microsoft these days just sounds like someone shouting in the middle of a sporting event...who is really hearing them?

Those from Microsoft 2000 would never recognize the Microsoft of 2014...they are just so mundane and continue to be...it truly is amazing how that company has lost so much clout in so little time with so little effort.

Oh, and to prl99's point, they're still believing that Windows is the be all, end all of technology.

TomMcIn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2014, 12:23 PM

I suppose the design was approved by the same "person" that said women should not ask for pay raises.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2014, 12:52 PM

Wow. Microsoft watch. I did not see that coming.

chucker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2014, 06:16 PM

"Take a walk" - couldn't have said it better myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules