Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Recommendation for Iphone 3G compatible Car Speaker Phone?

Recommendation for Iphone 3G compatible Car Speaker Phone?
gradient
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2010, 11:55 PM

I'm looking to pick up a bluetooth speaker phone for car use. Hopefully something at least semi-slim that I can just clip on to my sun visor.

As my province has just implemented a ban on using a hand-held phone, a key requirement that it be able to access the iPhone's contacts and do voice-dialing without relying on the phone itself (no 3GS for me).

The only one I've been able to find after a bit of searching is this one:

Newegg.ca - Parrot Handsfree Visor Mount Bluetooth Speaker / Car Kit Black (MINIKIT SLIM) - Bluetooth Cell Phone Accessories

Can anyone comment on the quality of this unit or recommend an alternative?

I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Cheers.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2010, 03:54 PM

I have a Jabra SP700 that works well.

Jabra Speakerphone - Use it in the car or in the office

Whoops. This doesn't do voice dialing--missed that part of your post.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 08:22 AM

A bit more expensive, and not portable, but the Parrot system that's actually fitted to the car works extremely well. Offers a whole bunch of connectivity options. Plugged in (charges the iPhone), bluetooth, line in, USB stick.

I am really happy with mine, excellent sound quality and working voice recognition.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
A bit more expensive, and not portable, but the Parrot system that's actually fitted to the car works extremely well. Offers a whole bunch of connectivity options. Plugged in (charges the iPhone), bluetooth, line in, USB stick.

I am really happy with mine, excellent sound quality and working voice recognition.
Which model do you have?

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2010, 05:37 PM

Well I decided to go ahead and order the Minikit Slim (didn't want to spring for an installed option, preferred to just go with the cheaper portable option). I'll let you guys know how it works out.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 03:29 AM

Well I've had the Minikit Slim for a day now and so far so good. It paired instantly and automatically sync'd my iPhone's contacts without any problem at all.

So far I can say that the voice recognition for making outgoing calls seems to work quite well; I only ran into a couple of names that it wouldn't recognize and they are fairly obscure names so I wasn't surprised. Recording my own samples for those contacts was easy so it's a non-issue now. The text-to-speech pronunciations are a bit whacky sometimes but not a big deal; it's actually fairly impressive how many of them it has no problem with at all.

On the couple calls I've made the person on the other end said that the microphone quality was excellent; if I hadn't told them that I was on a handsfree (which I did, to try to get a gauge of the quality), they would have thought I was just speaking normally with my phone to my ear.

The speaker quality is also quite good. It's a little thin but not abrasive at all, a noticeable improvement over my Tom Tom GO 930 that I was using as a stop-gap handsfree.

My only complaint is one that I had read before my purchase so can't really begrudge: there is no power indicator light to tell you whether it's turned on or not.

For $80 CAD, I'm very happy with this unit so far. It does everything as advertised and seems to do it all well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules