Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Voice Search feature in the Google app is AMAZING!

The new Voice Search feature in the Google app is AMAZING!
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2012, 12:47 PM

Google’s most advanced voice search has arrived on iOS

Just tried a few searches myself. It LITERALLY displays the words as you speak. Search results fast and accurate. I have an iPhone 4 so I've never used Siri. Tried out the Evi app instead to much frustration. This update Google app blows Evi out of the water. I've only tried a few searches but it's been spot on every time so far.

OAW

And no I didn't put this in the iPhone App forum. This place is a ghost town with way too many-subforums as it is.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2012, 06:16 AM

I've tried it too.

It makes Siri look really bad. Mostly because Siri is really bad.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2012, 09:08 AM

but now Forstalls gone Siri will be great.

or something
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2012, 01:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out if the app is doing the voice recognition itself or if it's simply sending it out to Google's servers? It seems like it must be the former since it often shows what you are saying as you speak. And the recognition is EXTREMELY accurate. I played with it for about an hour last night and it only tripped up a handful of times. I'm very impressed. Just wish that voice recognition technology was available in other apps like Messages, etc.

OAW

Phileas
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2012, 12:42 PM

I don't mind Siri. Maybe I am still wearing rose colored glasses, only just got an iPhone 5, but she does what I need her to do. Play music in the car, on command? Check. Location aware reminders? Check. Read me messages and reply? Check.

But back to topic, the voice recognition in google app does rock.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2012, 02:53 PM

andi*pandi
Nov 1, 2012, 04:25 PM

80% of the time I try to use Siri I get no response, and then after that there is a 50% chance she will misunderstand. Prob due to trouble accessing the server or being in a moving vehicle. If I could dictate messages offline, that would be very helpful.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2012, 05:08 AM

I confuse Siri all the time. This Google search app, OTOH, is sublime.

mindwaves
Nov 2, 2012, 09:30 AM

I admit this app is better than Siri. Better and faster. Google absolutely rules in data which is something Apple cannot ever compete with.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2012, 02:17 PM

i'm baffled why how so much time and money has been spent on Siri and its still practically the same as it was at launch.
Except you can now check american sports results.....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2012, 02:23 PM

You can check German sports results, too.

Unfortunately, sports do not interest me, and Siri never understands a ****ing word I say beyond "drive me to work" and "set a timer to XX minutes".

Once it told me it couldn't find "Catrin Xxxxxx" in my address book. Did I mean to call "Katrin Xxxxxx" instead?

I'm this close to setting it back to English just to get some functionality back, but I figure that Apple is profiling usage and getting reports of Siri's spectacular shittiness when set to German.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2012, 09:51 PM

Although I have no real issues with Siri, works fine for me, Google Voice is faster. After using both the iP5 and Samsung GS3, I have to say that, strictly as a phone, I prefer the iPhone. But, since I use it for a lot more than that, the GS3 is what I'd carry if for some reason I could only tote around one device. It's a badass AIO communicator. I keep the iP5 in my pocket, the Samsung in the front pouch of my bag/"manpurse" and my iPad in the bag. That keeps me covered.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2012, 02:55 AM

If you have a jailbroken phone, this is a great add-on:

http://modmyi.com/content/9177-invoke-google-now-anywhere-nownow.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules