Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Default permissions

Default permissions
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2002, 02:37 PM

I am trying to create a common Documents folder for my wife and myself. I removed her documents folder and created a symbolic link to mine. I set the permissions of the directory to rwxrwx---, though I am sure rw-rw---- would probably be sufficient. I made sure my wife and I were both in the same group.

Now we can both see the folder and save to it. The only problem is the files get saved with rw-r----- permissions, so anything she saves, I can't edit vice versa. Is there some way to set the permissions so that they always save with user and group write permissions. All apps seem to save the same way, whether carbon or cocoa.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2002, 03:47 PM

This has been discussed at times in the past. Try a search if you want more information. I believe that in the end no one has figured out how to change the default permission.

Also, just so you know, directories do need to have the x bit set. In unix systems, the x bit being cleared on directories basically prevents you from accessing anything with that directory in the path. Try turning it off if you like, you'll see what I mean.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2002, 02:28 PM

It should be as easy as doing a umask shouldn't it? That's how it works with other versions of unix...

Thinking

RWX
000 = 0
001 = 1
010 = 2
011 = 3
100 = 4
101 = 5
110 = 6
111 = 7

I think if you set
Code:
umask 017
in the terminal it will work, but I don't know about the client. (will check when I get home). I know you probably don't want to have to go into the terminal every time you log in, but I'm sure there is a way around that...

One little area for information:
http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/unixhelp...les/umask.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules