Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dead iPod / Returns

Dead iPod / Returns
aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 06:56 PM

I just gave my wife my old 2G 20G iPod and on her first trip to the gym with it, it crapped out on her. It only shows the sad ipod and I can't get it to mount on the desktop, not even with 'forced firewire' mode. So, it looks like I will be sending it in since it is still under warranty. Does anyone know if Apple are more likely to fix it and send it back or to send us a new model? Either way is fine with me, but a new model would be nice. Then my wife and I can share a dock...how romantic!

-b

Chito
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 10:35 AM

My 2G 10 gig iPod is boxed up and waiting for pickup today, I'm wondering the same thing.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 10:49 AM

The two times I sent in iPods to be repaired (10gb 2g, 15gb 3G) they were not repaired and were just replaced with new ones. I'm not sure if they were truly "new" but when you check the repair status, it will say repaired or replacement order made, which was the case with mine. They didn't look like they were used either. I'm not sure what you specifically mean by "new model" as in a new unit or an upgraded to a different generation of iPod.

aapljack  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 02:44 PM

I meant 'new model' as in one of the current models available, the third generation. It would be rad if they sent me a brand new 40G ipod!!

-b

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 03:06 PM

Since they have refurbished 10GB and 20GB G2 iPods ready for purchase from the Apple Store, my guess is that is what you will get if your iPod can't be fixed.

Cheers!
Chris

swpaws
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 08:54 PM

How long does it take for them to send a replacement? I placed an order for a 3g 15 gig on September 10th and didn't receive it until the 25th. Then it doesn't mount on any computer and frequently shows the folder with a question mark. Now they've bungled delivering the packaging to me. I'm waiting for them to send me a second box to return my iPod since Airborne delivered it to somewhere other than to my apartment.

I thought people got good service from the Apple Store....

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 11:28 PM

completly offtopic
but...
you registered in may '99 and this was your first post?
wow
thats awsome
w3rd..
surrey represent

aapljack  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by swpaws:
Now they've bungled delivering the packaging to me. I'm waiting for them to send me a second box to return my iPod since Airborne delivered it to somewhere other than to my apartment.
Sounds like it wasn't Apple's fault that the box didn't get to you. Having just gone thru Airborne Express hell with my Powerbook order, your story doesn't surprise me. Airborne accidentally delivered my Powerbook to a CompUSA. What kinda sense does that make?

From what I understand, Apple sends out the replacement box next day and I assume the turn around time for a replacement depends on whether they are going to repair it or just replace it. I am just happy it is still under warranty when this happened. I'm also glad I got a new ipod with my Powerbook so I don't have to be without one. That would be hard.

-b

aapljack  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 07:28 PM

Well, I got a replacement today. I believe it is probably a refurb, but it could be a brand new unit. Once I got the return box (Airborne sux), the process went very fast! Yay!

-b

Forum Links
Forum Rules