Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New CD Burner for old G4

New CD Burner for old G4
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 12:24 PM

I have an old G4 Yikes PowerMac (400 Mhz, PCI Graphics) and I would like to get a combo drive for the machine. I would like to know if anyone else has done this. I want to make sure I can still play DVDs and boot from a CD without issues. I currently have an external 16x FireWire burner, but would like to get something much faster as an internal unit.

Can anyone recommend anything.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

tr
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 03:21 PM

go here:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived....drivedb.lasso

you can find lots of reports of what has worked, and what hasn't.

tr

Dace
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 04:09 PM

I recommend the LG combo drive...works great, no problems. Mine is the 12x model...but the latest one I think burns at 48x.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

I have a G4 Yikes machine myself. 400Mhz, overclocked to 450. (See Xlr8yourmac.com's excellent overclocking section, it was easy.) Xclaim Rage 128 PCI, 1GB of memory, and running OS 10.2.8 (up to date version)
...and I just installed a LG GCC-4480B combo DVD & CD-R/W drive tonight. I replaced the factory stock 32x CD-ROM. The new drive shows up in 10.2.8 system profiler as fully supported.
Burned a data CD in toast @ 48x with Buffer underrun protection, burned a Data CD-RW (also in toast) at 10x , also with buffer underrun protection. (It was the fastest CD-RW media I had available). Erased the CD-RW in disk utility with no problems. iTunes cranked out a audio CD @ 24x. The media was rated at 24x, but regardless I think iTunes never burns audio CD's at full speed anyway, no matter what type of drive is installed. Finally, watched a DVD. Played back fine with no glitches.
Booted 10.2 OSX install CD that came with my MDD fine, and booted with the OS 9 install CD also. Overall it seems pretty nice for $60. Look on http://www.pricewatch.com for a deal, search under GCC-4480B or check ebay.

Just so you know, I didn't try to burn anything in 9, so I don't know if anything beyond basic CD-ROM support is there. I haven't checked DVD playback or DVD-ROM data in 9 yet either. ( I don't have 9 installed)

Also, I used Xlr8yourmac's great CD install help section for a quick heads on up installing the new drive.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2003, 10:54 PM

By all means, check out xlr8yourmac.com. I bought the LG combo drive (max 32x) based on the recommendations I read there, and installed their driver hack to allow burning in iTunes and the Finder. Haven't had the slightest trouble with it, and it gave me more reason to keep my old G4 350 around.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Forum Links
Forum Rules